Anyone Ever Have Tendinitis?

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
Got tired of the roll around my belly and the "man-boobs" and decided to get in shape. Went with the P90X program you see on the infomercials--GREAT workouts.

As I got in better and better shape, I pushed it harder and harder. I'm now on day 72 of the 90-day program and have come down with a severe case of tendinitis in my right elbow. I think it came from doing a massive number of pull-ups.

I'm taking time off and icing it every evening, but it still hurts if I reach or turn my arm in certain ways. Any suggestions?

I have had it in my elbows/wrists since I was 15 or so. It has never gone away entirely. I never gave it a chance to properly heal. I am currently taken muscle relaxers for a sciatic issue and my arms are pain free, at least for me.....

Can't say that I have. But I do find sometimes its like my hands get tired and hurt like heck when I run a sawall or something as simple as peeling a potato. Never have figured out why the heck it does that.

How are you icing it? The elbow is a pretty complex joint.

If you are using ice packs, you aren't likely getting the ice to the areas you really need to reduce inflammation.

My 2 cents.... and this is not really comfortable.

Get a large bowl , fill it with some water and a lot of ice and "ice bath" you elbow.

I'm having to ice bath my elbow now because of some issues. I now remember how bad I hated this procedure from playing football, soccer, etc. in high school.

I don't have tendinitis, I have epicondilitis and ulnar nerve impingement in my left elbow. Basically what I have requires Tommy John surgery to repair a million little tears in my tendon.

Here's what you can do, though: get a brace. The best one's I've found are at Walgreen's. These wrap around your elbow and support the muscles above and below. I go through a few of these a year.

You need to stretch before each work out, a series of them holding your arm straight, them hold your hand up, palm forward, and pull back on your fingers, slowly. Do it again with your hand down, palm inward, pulling in on the back of your hand, slowly. Now with arm still outstretched point your fingers forward and reach around the hand with your other hand and twist slightly. Remember, the idea is to stretch, not strain.

Also lay off the reps for a little while and find something else to do, until the elbow has a chance to catch up.

Ice alone doesn't work. If you have a double sink in your kitchen like most folks, fill one with ice water, the other with hot water. Dunk in one, holding for a few minutes, then the other. Repeat a few times.

Good luck.

Can't say that I have. But I do find sometimes its like my hands get tired and hurt like heck when I run a sawall or something as simple as peeling a potato. Never have figured out why the heck it does that.

That's how my epicondilitis started. Fatigue in the forearm, never really hurt, manifested itself with fatigue in my left hand. After a while my hand started shaking so bad I had a hard time holding a fork. Even poked myself in the lip once, trying to eat. Never let my wife know as she's a worrier. She's on OT. My neurologists advice: listen to your wife.

How are you icing it? The elbow is a pretty complex joint.

If you are using ice packs, you aren't likely getting the ice to the areas you really need to reduce inflammation.

My 2 cents.... and this is not really comfortable.

Get a large bowl , fill it with some water and a lot of ice and "ice bath" you elbow.

I'm having to ice bath my elbow now because of some issues. I now remember how bad I hated this procedure from playing football, soccer, etc. in high school.

You're probably right. I spent a couple of hours icing on and off last evening and it didn't really seem to have much impact with ice packs. Doesn't sound like much fun, but I'll try the ice bath tonight. Thanks!

Yeah ... GRADUALLY get to your goal... I do not know how old you are ... BUT things don't heal as easily when you are younger .... Good Luck

A couple of years ago, I started getting pain in my elbow after a long days of pushing dents. I tried wearing a brace around my forearm and it helped, but the pain continued. I was talking to my boss about it, and he recommended Glucosamine Chondroitin + MSM caplets. I thought it sounded like voo doo medication, until I spoke with a friend who happens to be a nurse. She confirmed that they are legit and work to lubricate your joints. After about 2 weeks, the pain was gone. Now, whenever I feel that familiar pain start to flare up, I take the pills and feel better within days!!

Here is a link to the name brand stuff, but you can buy the generic version for a lot cheaper at CVS or Walgreens. Good luck with whatever direction you go!

Osteo Bi-flex

I don't have tendinitis, I have epicondilitis and ulnar nerve impingement in my left elbow. Basically what I have requires Tommy John surgery to repair a million little tears in my tendon.

Here's what you can do, though: get a brace. The best one's I've found are at Walgreen's. These wrap around your elbow and support the muscles above and below. I go through a few of these a year.

You need to stretch before each work out, a series of them holding your arm straight, them hold your hand up, palm forward, and pull back on your fingers, slowly. Do it again with your hand down, palm inward, pulling in on the back of your hand, slowly. Now with arm still outstretched point your fingers forward and reach around the hand with your other hand and twist slightly. Remember, the idea is to stretch, not strain.

Also lay off the reps for a little while and find something else to do, until the elbow has a chance to catch up.

Ice alone doesn't work. If you have a double sink in your kitchen like most folks, fill one with ice water, the other with hot water. Dunk in one, holding for a few minutes, then the other. Repeat a few times.

Good luck.

Ramenth- Thanks for the stretching exercises! I just tried them and they really DID seem to help.

This is all very frustrating. I'm 52 this month, and in the best shape of my life, and that includes when I had perfect scores on the physical fitness test while in the Marines. Who knew that doing 130+ pull-ups, four times/week wasn't good for you?! DUH!

OK More Than Once, Suing Playboy Right Now.

:sign5: Yeah, this is in my right elbow and I'm left-handed. My first thought when I started getting the pain was, "Thank God this won't interfere with my favorite exercise!"

Ramenth- Thanks for the stretching exercises! I just tried them and they really DID seem to help.

This is all very frustrating. I'm 52 this month, and in the best shape of my life, and that includes when I had perfect scores on the physical fitness test while in the Marines. Who knew that doing 130+ pull-ups, four times/week wasn't good for you?! DUH!

wow 130 Pull ups is alot. Over hand or under hand?

Thank my wife, as she just told me to tell you. :grin: Like I said, she's an OT and upper body rehab is part of her job. Those exercises are courtesy of her, as well as a few others I have to do to build strength in my hand again.

I know about frustrating. Until I can afford to get the surgery done and the rehab following it'll take, this is going to be something I live with. Stretching before, during, and after each time I use an air tool. Or the weed trimmer or the hedge clippers, even the lawn mower. Impact gloves to absorb the vibration. Ibuprofen for the swelling. And long sessions of the wife kneading the lactic acid bubbles out of my forearm muscles because the muscles can't properly absorb the oxygen anymore. Feels like you're popping bubble wrap under the skin.

wow 130 Pull ups is alot. Over hand or under hand?

8 sets total. 2 sets wide-grip overhand; 2 sets narrow grip overhand; 2 sets narrow grip underhand (chin-ups, no kip); 2 sets alternating, 2 underhand, 2 overhand. I do 16 per set, and the last set until failure. I've been maxing out the last set at 22-26. When I started these workouts less than 3 months ago, I could only do about 20 pull-ups total over the eight sets!

Ive had tendinitis since I was 18 due to years of doing bodywork,sanding and using a buffer.Some days it bothers,somedays it dont.=\

I have similar issues with tendonitis in my right elbow. You can get a band to wear around your arm just below the elbow it helps with the pain and keeps tendon from moving too much and problem getting worst. You should see an orthopedic doctor, they can give you a shot of cortisone and novicane (epidural) in elbow it will help with pain and swelling of tendon. This is a temproary relief but good when hurting. The problem is caused by the tendon swelling and becoming detached from others and the bone. Your workout is making it get worst. The arm band helps stabilize this and should be worn when working out and may be needed always. I wear mine when it flairs up and when doing physical work, for me it is just about daily as I am a golf course superintendent and do very physical work most of the time. It just sucks getting older and the body starts to fall apart. Little Feat called this the "old folks Boogie" when your mind makes a promise the body cant fill..

Ive had tendinitis since I was 18 due to years of doing bodywork,sanding and using a buffer.Some days it bothers,somedays it dont.=\

That's what did in my elbow. Repetitive motion caused by the vibration of the air tools and all the hand blocking.

I've had tendonitis in both arms off and on for 30 yrs (just below the elbow) and the only thing that's ever worked for me is the strap that you wrap around the arm, just below the elbow, and tighten and velcro lock to emobilize the muscle/tendon that's inflamed. I wear the stap 24 hrs. a day and usually takes a month for things to settle down. I tried the cortozone which when it worked was short term and most of the drugs upset my stomach, mind you Aleve helped but be careful taking that stuff for to long as it can be hard on the heart.
I guess 35 yrs. of pulling wrenches has it's side effects.

-
Back