Anyone ever own a Golden Retriever???

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a Golden Retriever puppy. He is appox. 3months old and purbred with papers. Not sure if I can handle him. I have one dog [jack russell] and a cat. All the research I have done has said they are good family pets. Although they shed and love to chew on everything. I feel If I can get through the house training part it might be better. What do you think? Bad or good.

I love dogs...go get em....other wise some dipsh'''it will get him/her that doesn't deserve it...you know what I mean...I hope you have your running shoes on...those dogs are ready to go

Im thinking of getting him but I am concerned about the dreaded puppy stage. The info I have read says they are very trainable dogs and do well with other animals. The family is going to take him to the pound if I dont take him tomorrow. Anyone ever owned one??

I love dogs...go get em....other wise some dipsh'''it will get him/her that doesn't deserve it...you know what I mean...I hope you have your running shoes on...those dogs are ready to go
x2, go get the pup

I have a chance to get a Golden Retriever puppy. He is appox. 3months old and purbred with papers. Not sure if I can handle him. I have one dog [jack russell] and a cat. All the research I have done has said they are good family pets. Although they shed and love to chew on everything. I feel If I can get through the house training part it might be better. What do you think? Bad or good.

good, these dogs are apparently the smartest dog in the world, great family pets :cheers:

i hope you get him, very good dogs after training nad loyal :happy10:

We have one. They are great dogs, and smart too. Ours is a sweetheart (female). The only issue they might have is with the hips, ours has hip displaxia. She's doing pretty good considering, and has a great temperment.

I've got a 3 year old female Golden laying on my feet right now.
She is a sweetheart. Goldens are great family dogs. In order to make sure people know she's mine, her AKC name is Y9 Tawny Gold Iridescent.
As stated earlier, if you can handle a JR, you'll definitely be able to handle a Golden.
We used to have a JR. That dog wore us out.

Have had several. These dogs need a companion. If you dont spend time with him or her they will chew up everything and dig a golf course in your yard. They are active and get in trouble when bored. You will never have a better friend. My Toby went everywhere shot gun with me in my Ramcharger.Best smartest dog I ever had. Learned a lot of tricks. If you dont have time to spend with him tho I would pass to someone who does.

Well looks like the vote is for getting the dog. He is going to bring him over tomorrow. I guess I will let him meet and greet the JR and the cat! The cat tolerates the JR. I will post a picture of him in the next day or so. Any info you guys can give me would be helpful.

I guess he will require alot of attention. I have read they dont ever really settle down even when they are old. What can I do to avoid the hip problems? Is this something that happens to all of them??

We had a golden mix......best dog, but never did like being left alone and chewed up alot of things as a pup.

He eventually won the battle....I took him everywhere!! :) They are a very friendly breed and great family dog.

Congrats on the early Christmas gift. :cheers: And yes, :worthles:

No, the hip problems usually arise from a bad breeder. My wife did not check out the breeder. I was not impressed when the symptoms showed up at about 6 months. The woman told her any problems bring the dog back. Yeah right...

6pk I have no pix yet. Or the dog. LOL. But he is coming tomorrow for a meet and greet. Woodys cuda what kind of symptoms should I look for? I dont think this dog came from a top notch breeder. He does have papers but the guy ended up taking the dog to the vet and he had worms. Vet gave him a clean bill of health this morning.

We have an 8 year old Golden and he is the best. All he wants is to be with you and get a little attention. He's like my best friend. Always happy to see you when you get home no matter how bad your day was. Love him to death. I say go get the dog, not that I really have a vote or anything.

We have GSD's which have the same hip issues..We feed our dogs purina one large breed adult...they make purina one for puppies aswell, which has glucosamine and chondroitin in it for healthy joints.... They also make buscuits with the same stuff in it..made by natural choice..it is in a green box and they sell it at any pet store .... You are doing the right thing by saving the little turd....LOL

Slappy, the hip issues usually don't show until about 6 months of age. Only real confirmation would be an xray once the pup is older. Hopefully your pup will be fine.

We have ours on meds so she can deal with the pain. We brought her in to be assessed for joint replacement, but she wasn't a candidate at the time. She still is a sweetheart and gets around fine considering. She is the best dog I have ever had.

Thanks to all whom have given your advise on this dog issue. Well I guess I will sleep on it tonight.

I have two both females, once they get past puppy age will not chew as much, definetly crate train them and they need to get out and run and love to run etc. Great kid/house/master dog. Once of the best pets and not a yapper no offense to the russell!

I love em all but they are very very smart and can be trained for hunting, securithy, blind eye, drugs you name it or just a 70-100 lb lap dog:)

No hip issues until 12-14+ they are a big dog, but breed correctly is not an issue and some breeders are hip display certifed too, both mine were and are AKC registered dogs etc. I should of, could have breed them both as they have great blood lines.

PS when they are pups until at least 1 1 1/2 they really love to chew, so get them big dones, firewood something and train them what not to chew etc.

They need a play mate as stated you or another dog etc. They like most dogs do better in pairs and mine are best buds and are 2 years apart now. One is 5 other is 7 and they stay act like puppies at time, chain saws guns fireworks dont scare them, they low to chase deer mountain lions the works.. Enjoy and best wishes!

Love em!

We are on our second golden and we'd never get any other kind of breed. Just make sure you put all your tools away because I am contantly running them over with the lawn mower. He steals them from the garage and leaves them in the front lawn. lol

Take him obedience class. You will both enjoy it!

Crating when you are not home is a great option. It will ensure he is safe as well as your property.

We just got a retriever puppy this summer, he is 6 months old now and he's been house broke for almost two months, they learn anything you want to teach them real fast, my daughter has him ringing some bells hanging on the back door when he needs to go out, we've also got him doing all kinds of tricks already.

The hip troubles are common in most large dogs, if you pamper them and make sure they have soft warm places to lay, they usually don't have much troubles with their hips. We had a St. Bernard which is notorious for having hip troubles and only have a life expectancy of 8 years but ours made it to 12 and only started having hip troubles for the last 6 months or so. The vet said it's because he was a house dog and always had a good place to sleep, unlike most large dogs that end up staying outside or sleeping on the cold garage floor.

-
Back