anyone familiar with holley commander 950?

-

prodart340

Reaction score
I have the chance to get a MFPI system used,all the software,"four barrel" body,wiring,etc. the only things I'm told I'll need are rails and injectors. My question is if this will be an improvement over my 950 proform on the freshly built stroker. It's a playtoy 414"running 11.2/1 compression,588hp@6400 rpm. Any knowledgable info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

I know all the proform carbs I have been around were good carbs,BUT know nothing about this new holley stuff.but everything I have read or talked to the people that has them thut they were the next best thing since sliced bread.If I were still racing and could afford it I damn sure would try it.and keep everything else just in case..I think that's how we accumulate so much stuff..haha..hope this is a help........Artie

May I ask the price? I ran a 950 Commander, and later upgraded to the Holley HP ECU, because it's "self learning." This is because without paying for (expensive) dyno time, or else training a neighbor and infringing on his time, I was "up against" the end of my tuning abilities. with the 950

Mine is set up for TBI, but can be converted to multiport.

It's a good system, other than "not" being "self learning. There IS a partial solution. A guy calling himself "Tazman" offeres separate "self tuning" software that runs on the 950 for the bargain price of fifteen bucks. It works pretty well as far as it goes, and is a huge help but not an "end to end" solution.

Upgrading (harness and ECU) to the HP ECU cost me about 1300 bucks I believe.

I've also (and still AM) considering Megasquirt to play with and partially for the learning experience.

What all comes with the system? Are you saying the system IS multiport or is TBI? If it's TBI you'll need a higher pressure pump, regulator, and a few other things. You can download "all the docs" from Holley, I can point you to that.

I can pick up the system, it's multi-port, all the software, wiring, all the sensors except the o2 sensor, and the ecm for $250. I would have to change my super victor to the fuel injected version, get a set of rails, injectors, and redo my fuel pump and add a return.

oh and it has the manual, at first glance, I would have to say that the manual weighs more than the system,lol

OMFG if you don't get that let me know. There's a number of ways to convert a manifold to multiport, or have it done. Keep in touch!!!

On the O2, and this applies ONLY to the Commander system, and NOT the newer HP system which I converted to, you can buy something like an innovate wideband O2 / display, and interface the Innovate output with the Commander ECU, IE you only need the one sensor. Commander was originally narrow band

Really, the ONLY downside to a Commander is that it's not "self learning" and I think Holley has pretty much abandoned it for any software updates. The one thing you DO want to do is to make sure the ECU is the newer firmware. I don't remember..........I think Holley charged me 125 or so US to flash the ECU. They make it sound like a "big deal" because they provide the new software. Well.......you can download THAT, so all you are "really getting" is the firmware flash

I've got a spare ECU (total of two) for my Commander stuff

Some of my EFI ramblings:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=198603

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=209528

and the HP upgrade

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970081758

-
Back