Anyone have any ideas how to restore this???

-

jkallen83

Reaction score
I have my 1960 Plymouth valiant v200...the interior door panel's are old and mainly the bottoms are bad. It seems to be cardboard? Anyway, does anyone know of a way to restore these without spending alot of money for new replacement panels? I was going to recover them but the actual cardboard skeleton. Part is to not too good anymore.

Just needing some ideas.

You could try remounting the old panel covers on some fresh material? Sounds like a lot of work so I'd re enforce whats there by adding some thin steel to the "cardboard". You could use panel adhesive or something like it.

I have my 1960 Plymouth valiant v200...the interior door panel's are old and mainly the bottoms are bad. It seems to be cardboard? Anyway, does anyone know of a way to restore these without spending alot of money for new replacement panels? I was going to recover them but the actual cardboard skeleton. Part is to not too good anymore.

Just needing some ideas.

1/8 inch masonite is what I have found to be the best and it holds up super well. If your cardboard is thicker you could use 1/4 inch.

Its a 4 door. Not really worried about color because thinking of recovering and changing. Right now its a bluish gray color.

I made all the door panels, kick panels, rear panels, etc... on my Triumph Spitfire. I went to a hardware store and bought hardboard instead of cardboard, and went to a textile shop and bought vinyl and foam. It was easy, and it was cheap. I used the old cardboard backing for a template.

Door panel before.
View attachment Left door panel before.jpg

Door panel before, and new homemade hardboard panel.
View attachment Left door panel before and after.jpg

New hardboard with foam glued on.
View attachment Left door panel with foam installed.jpg

New hardboard with vinyl being attached.
View attachment Left door panel with vinyl glued on.jpg

Finished product.
View attachment Finished right door panel.jpg

Thanks for the pictures that looks great. What about re-attaching the panel to the door? The old panel has lost a couple of the clips.

Thanks for the pictures that looks great. What about re-attaching the panel to the door? The old panel has lost a couple of the clips.

I had all my old clips, so that wasn't an issue. If you can't find any on FABO or eBay, try a body shop. Also, Dorman / Motormite makes them and I am sure Carquest has them in stock. Otherwise www.clipsandfasteners.com is sure to have them. Try this page and see if it looks like yours. http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Chrysler_Trim_Panel_Fastener_4114785_p/a12134.htm

I went to a textile shop for the foam and the vinyl. I believe I came away for less than $30 total, and I also bought a battery mat. Vinyl choices were incredibly large and I bought enough for the door panels, kick panels, rear wheel humps, rear panel and the dash pad. It was very easy and I did it in a few hours one afternoon. I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue everything.

I used ABS plastic sheets . You get them on line or maybe in a store in your area. use your old boards for paterns. ABS is impervious to moisture, holds up well and fabric can be glued on with a good quality glue.

-
Back