Anyone into go karts?

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I am really trying to think of way to make a really cheap go kart with mostly I items I have laying around (scrap steel)

I am getting some ideas.

Anyone into go karts here??

yes. though I don't have one now..... When I was a kid, we converted old riding lawn mowers into go - carts. Remove the deck, change the pulley ratio and Yee-Ha!!! Not all of ours was homemade.

I have an old John Deere lawn tractor frame.

I have spare small blocks.

I have spare 3-speed manual transmissions.

One project at a time..............

There is a go-cart track close to me with rentals available............

Wanna race? ;-)

I actually had a go kart before. It was a hand me down just sitting in an shed when I moved in with my adoptive family. It had an 8 horsepower tecumseh engine. I got it running but I never drove it because i couldn't reach the pedals. Apparently built for an average to tall size Male.

I was going to modify the pedals but I ended up selling it because i was trying to buy my first 74 duster at the time and I was short money, but the go kart sale put me with enough to buy the duster.

I actually had a go kart before. It was a hand me down just sitting in an shed when I moved in with my adoptive family. It had an 8 horsepower tecumseh engine. I got it running but I never drove it because i couldn't reach the pedals. Apparently built for an average to tall size Male.

I was going to modify the pedals but I ended up selling it because i was trying to buy my first 74 duster at the time and I was short money, but the go kart sale put me with enough to buy the duster.

Me and some neighborhood boys had one when I was a kid. It had an 8HP Briggs on it. I remover the governor and made a car like gas pedal for it. I don't know how fast it went, but we out ran the cops on Riverside Drive in Macon. They didn't have anything for it.

Me and some neighborhood boys had one when I was a kid. It had an 8HP Briggs on it. I remover the governor and made a car like gas pedal for it. I don't know how fast it went, but we out ran the cops on Riverside Drive in Macon. They didn't have anything for it.
This world would be so boring if it weren't for wheels, engines, and gasoline to keep us entertained and keep our hands busy.

A welder helps too

Dang I love the sound of that BBC, i had a 340 that sounded just like that. Classic v8s seem to have had a sound and smell that you just caint duplicate with anything else

This is an all "stock" 69 SS396/375HP Chevelle with the rare factory chambered exhaust. Basically all it was, was two sections of pipe with dimples in them. I've always loved how it sounded.

Comet Kart Sales has pretty near any part you could ever need for a go kart.

ice-chest-kart_1024x1024.gif

I have a cadet size chassis and either 160cc Honda or a 200cc/16hp Briggs for motivation. :steering:

I have seen front spindles made from u-joints. Hole bored through the center with the proper sized bolt for the hub and mounted to an axle with the use of a yoke.

A few years ago was some nut called himself "Kart Vader"

I know a guy who fabricates and sells fiberglass Dodge van Go-Kart bodies. And I supply the printed vinyl overlays to him for the grilles, headlights, taillights, etc.
I'd like to get one of them one day but am lacking the extra space!

31894837_818109098399901_2429516712761098240_n.jpg
31956880_818109201733224_3496405486943600640_n.jpg

Life OD put a HF 420cc 2 stroke motor in a Mazda Protege and it ran street speed. I like that shaft driven Radio Flyer.

i got a few of them, you know, for the kids

both of the karts i have started out as single wheel drive and ive converted both of them to solid axles with a little help from BMI Karts

keep your eyes peeled on craigslist, and you can find a deal

my dad built us a cart when I was a kid. My uncle has a machine shop and built us the hubs for the sprocket (Yamaha dt-1) and brake rotor (Honda cb 360) to fit our 1" axle. It had wheel hubs from a garden tiller along with the tractor tread tires. We used a 250 dt-1 engine at first and it was a blast, when my buddy and I "upgraded" it with an engine from a Yamaha xs 650 things got out of hand, those cast iron wheel hubs would just explode, and those engines vibrate real bad- wasn't as much fun then

So I am really trying to think of way to make a really cheap go kart with mostly I items I have laying around (scrap steel)

I am getting some ideas.

Anyone into go karts here??
A guy here in SA TX was converting old lawn mowers into remote control lawnmowers-that would catch on.

Rainy I am dying to get my daughter Star one of those Aspen/Volare go carts.

If any of you guys see one, please let me know. Star would poop rainbows of excitement if she got a car like baddy has!

-
Back