Anyone know about International Scouts???

-
For 18k how many haven't been driven for years? Scouts have kind of blown up in recent years so values tend to be high now, but it's all relative. Online auctions have other fees and so the prices aren't perfectly relevant to a private sale.

If you see some rust, there's lots more. Most years for the scouts had no galvanizing (a buddy is super into the). The sheet metal tends to be stupid simple, but that's as much bad as good. Patch panels are easy to insert and hide. Plus, that area you're calling surface rust looks a lot worse to me. It's bubbly and rough. May not be cancerous, but those areas have probably lost a good amount of thickness. Plus the way the joints were done often means the worst areas are invisible until they crumble.

My buddy had a friend who bought a scout ii and he wound up replacing the whole front and rear floors once he dug into it. The visible stuff looked about like your photos from what I recall, and it was a desert car too!

I think with all that in mind, I'd be thinking $12-15. I think $18 would be OK if it hadn't been parked for some years (thinking about tires, belts, hoses, etc) and if there was no real rust except on fastener heads. Just my $.02

It’s been garage kept except for the past couple of years. The boyfriend have room in his garage for it now.

I think 18k is a decent price for this one, but then again I don’t know scouts . I do know every other one I see is expensive as heck or has a lot more rust than this one lol.

1962 Scout international

1967 International scout · 800
1967 International Scout 800

Well, there ARE good ones out there. I hope it's one.

He said the grandpa used to drive it, he apparently had a couple more but the others were sold after he passed away and they had an auction to sell all of his stuff.

Right now apparently it’s hard for them to drive because well… the girl has 7 kids lol

I would just take your wife and show her all the bad spots.... And if she still likes it just get it, She's not gonna care as much as we do....

Ethyl or diesel? The one I drove in the late seventies was a diesel and when you ran that thing out of fuel that was a beast you had to bleed all of the injector lines. And that's either new paint or somebody put a lot of work into detailing that thing up.

Also the transmission looks pretty wet to me could be a seal transmission or crank. Way to clean under the hood and the sill plate threshold should be worn.

I don't think the exhaust pipe should be hanging under the crossmember brace not on a four-wheel drive.

If that's enamel they probably just buffed it out threw some wax on it which is just a temporary fix in a month or two it'll be showing it's real dull paint.

Last edited:
It’s been garage kept except for the past couple of years. The boyfriend have room in his garage for it now.

I think 18k is a decent price for this one, but then again I don’t know scouts . I do know every other one I see is expensive as heck or has a lot more rust than this one lol.

1962 Scout international

1967 International scout · 800
1967 International Scout 800

Probably why they're still for sale, lol. Plenty of folks ask huge money for all kinds of cars, but actual sale price is another thing.
It can be tough to find scouts, so it might be worth paying more just to avoid a protracted deal.
That said, my scout buddy sold his with custom axles, a hybrid twin stick transfer case, humvee wheels with 38" tires and a new ih345 engine in a crate. Paint wasn't as nice, but had a custom roll cage and absolutely zero rust and hydro boost brakes. He sold it to a local scout guy for $15k.

Only thing not found that’s original on the scout so far according the the build sheet is the top, it originally had a sports top.

IMG_6669.jpeg

IMG_6670.jpeg

Ethyl or diesel? The one I drove in the late seventies was a diesel and when you ran that thing out of fuel that was a beast you had to bleed all of the injector lines. And that's either new paint or somebody put a lot of work into detailing that thing up.

Also the transmission looks pretty wet to me could be a seal transmission or crank. Way to clean under the hood and the sile plate threshold should be worn.

I don't think the exhaust pipe should be hanging under the crossmember brace not on a four-wheel drive.

If that's enamel they probably just buffed it out threw some wax on it which is just a temporary fix in a month or two it'll be showing it's real dull paint.

Oh the paint is dull for sure. Except for the tail panel covered by the wheel and the interior. It’s definitely leaking by the transmission and the transmission plug and stuff all under there lol. Wires to wire in the electric fuel pump aren’t super clean but nothing that can’t be fixed somewhat easily. (Famous last words)

Body work and paint are what I will not do.

Here’s the listing.

1967 GMC IH Scout 800

Last edited:
my experience with scouts: they would go anywhere. they will run long after the body falls off (rust) top speed was about 45 mph ( with a good tail wind ) and vacuum wipers. the slower you went, the slower they did. in all fairness that was a '64 4 cylinder. that being said, i was a teenager and i had a lot of fun in that thing.

I would just take your wife and show her all the bad spots.... And if she still likes it just get it, She's not gonna care as much as we do....

She wants it already. She is worried about “blowing it up” learning to drive a manual. I let her know it’s lasted this long, I’m sure if it’s going to break it will do it whether she is learning to drive it or not.

Probably why they're still for sale, lol. Plenty of folks ask huge money for all kinds of cars, but actual sale price is another thing.
It can be tough to find scouts, so it might be worth paying more just to avoid a protracted deal.
That said, my scout buddy sold his with custom axles, a hybrid twin stick transfer case, humvee wheels with 38" tires and a new ih345 engine in a crate. Paint wasn't as nice, but had a custom roll cage and absolutely zero rust and hydro boost brakes. He sold it to a local scout guy for $15k.

I do agree with what you’re saying Lots of scouts have sold on BAT the past years, in all different conditions for different prices.

I will say, for scouts only the 80 and 800 interest me. The scout 2 is ugly, it’s like a 72 roadrunner compared to a 69/70 roadrunner lol.

I hope so too because I’m going to offer the guy some money for it this week lol. Would be my luck to get another money pit.
It's gonna be THAT no matter the condition, because it's OLD.

Learning g to drive a manual is an accomplishment she can be proud of. But how good are her knees?
My girlfriend and her two sisters supposedly can drive sticks. My girlfriend has done it on a VERY limited basis, a long time ago, has one knee replacement, and one bad one, younger sister can drive any stick, if her left knee is good enough (knee replacement) and the youngest sister learned to drive a stick in her 65 426 street wedge four speed, about forty years ago.... and I don't think has driven a stick since.

They are workhorses, I think they ride rougher than hell, They always drink alot of gas. Maybe something a woman might not want as a daily driver. Somebody above mentioned a Travelall, I recently ran across a 10 door Travelall, strange looking vehicle.

My advice has always been to buy the car that you really want because when you put money into it and you will you're putting money into the car You want not under the car you don't want...

Learning g to drive a manual is an accomplishment she can be proud of. But how good are her knees?
My girlfriend and her two sisters supposedly can drive sticks. My girlfriend has done it on a VERY limited basis, a long time ago, has one knee replacement, and one bad one, younger sister can drive any stick, if her left knee is good enough (knee replacement) and the youngest sister learned to drive a stick in her 65 426 street wedge four speed, about forty years ago.... and I don't think has driven a stick since.

Her knees are in great condition, hasn’t been on them in 15 years.

I'll tell you simply how to teach her to drive a stick. Teach her to ride the clutch. Find a SMALL incline and teach her to hold the truck still on it. Make her do it until she masters it. It won't take long. That's what everybody gets mixed up on. They try to teach people not to ride the clutch and that's exactly what you NEED to learn to do. The shifting sequence is the simple part. Once she masters riding the clutch, then, explain to her that she doesn't need to do it "much". Explain to her that when you ride the clutch, the clutch disc is held stationary, while the flywheel is spinning against it and slowly wearing off clutch material. Once she understands what's going on and she masters riding the clutch, she'll have it licked.

She wants it already. She is worried about “blowing it up” learning to drive a manual. I let her know it’s lasted this long, I’m sure if it’s going to break it will do it whether she is learning to drive it or not.

There's probably few better vehicles to learn to drive stick with. Hard to blow up, durable parts, not enough power to hurt much LOL.

The price won't matter much in a few months if it makes the wife happy.

The military tires on the asphalt will lose favor real quick they are noisy and kind of have a mind of Their Own

I'll tell you simply how to teach her to drive a stick. Teach her to ride the clutch. Find a SMALL incline and teach her to hold the truck still on it. Make her do it until she masters it. It won't take long. That's what everybody gets mixed up on. They try to teach people not to ride the clutch and that's exactly what you NEED to learn to do. The shifting sequence is the simple part. Once she masters riding the clutch, then, explain to her that she doesn't need to do it "much". Explain to her that when you ride the clutch, the clutch disc is held stationary, while the flywheel is spinning against it and slowly wearing off clutch material. Once she understands what's going on and she masters riding the clutch, she'll have it licked.

I told her we have a big field I’ll teach her to drive it in. She can’t hit anything, it’s all open space. I taught my kids how to drive the ranger in it this weekend. They are professionals already!

IMG_6628.jpeg

IMG_6631.jpeg

IMG_6632.jpeg

IMG_6633.jpeg

IMG_6654.jpeg

IMG_6664.jpeg

IMG_6672.jpeg

Ag
The military tires on the asphalt will lose favor real quick they are noisy and kind of have a mind of Their Own
Agreed

I would imagine I’d put some new tires on the truck, some all terrains or something easy. That’s after getting it on a lift and getting checked out by a mechanic. I actually have a pt coming in tomorrow at 8am for invisilign. Maybe I’ll do some bartering lol.

-
Back