Anyone make reusable valve cover gaskets?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I change my VC gaskets fairly often and have now gone to a solid lifter cam and will spend more time adjusting lash this year. Are there any reusable VC gaskets out there? I can't seem to find any. a lot of cars nowadays have them on the transmission pan. It would save me quite a bit in the long run if I can find some.

I use the Moroso blue my valve covers have come off a lot in the past re-using them several times without any leaks!!

I use the Moroso blue my valve covers have come off a lot in the past re-using them several times without any leaks!!
Looked at Cometic and they only have head gaskets. I never thought of Moroso, which is weird because I have a set of their fabricated aluminum valve covers. They do make a Perm-align valve cover gasket. Think I'll try it unless I get some other good advice.

I've always used cork gaskets and RTV them to the valve cover. Especially with cast iron heads... On my aluminum heads that are machine surface and rigid aluminum valve covers I use the blue (I think) felpro gaskets that are super expensive.. but completely reusable and again that's with two machine services...
Also as far as that myth about valve adjustment a lot I adjust them once after break-in then maybe once a year I checked them and I'll have to adjust maybe four of them and that's just barely barely a little bit almost not enough to worry about...

Last edited:
I've always used Court gaskets and RTV them to the valve cover. Especially with cashed iron heads... On my aluminum heads that are machine surface and rigid aluminum valve covers I use the blue (I think) felpro gaskets that are super expensive.. but completely reusable and again that's with two machine services...
Also as far as that myth about valve adjustment a lot I adjust them once after break-in then maybe once a year I checked them and I'll have to adjust maybe four of them and that's just barely barely a little bit almost not enough to worry about...
The last ten years I had hydraulic rollers and still had to adjust them at least once if not twice a year. I could hear valves floating at about 6000 rpm so I decided to try solid rollers this time. I'll have to see if it makes a difference.

I've had the blue silicone & steel gaskets on my bracket car for 13 years, they still do their job.

Looked at Cometic and they only have head gaskets. I never thought of Moroso, which is weird because I have a set of their fabricated aluminum valve covers. They do make a Perm-align valve cover gasket. Think I'll try it unless I get some other good advice.
Cometic sells a full gasket set. Kim

I change my VC gaskets fairly often and have now gone to a solid lifter cam and will spend more time adjusting lash this year. Are there any reusable VC gaskets out there? I can't seem to find any. a lot of cars nowadays have them on the transmission pan. It would save me quite a bit in the long run if I can find some.
Fel-Pro 1646 have been very good on my 415 with a solid roller and fabricated aluminum valve covers of which I have had them off and on multiple times with zero issues, I actually glued them to the valve cover flange. Cometic is on my W9 headed engines and zero leaks there as well.

Well the voice command wasn't too friendly to me on that one but I think they get the point..

Fixed...:rolleyes:...
Weren't pickn' on yer spellin'. But the old school cork on the VCs, fer iron. I've had em on and off for 12 years, no leaks...it's a good system. Now those black ones that come in the gasket kits? Ugh..

Last edited:
MP used to give you gray silicone over wire ones, they worked great....in 1992.

Weren't pickn' on yer spellin'. But the old school cork on the VCs, fer iron. I've had em on and off for 12 years, no leaks...it's a good system. Now those black ones that come in the gasket kits? Ugh..
I've always used the black ones with GM baker sealer. I never had any leaks, but they sure weren't reusable. I ordered the Moroso. I'll see how they work. Modern transmission pans come with a steel frame with a print seal gasket in it and are reusable. That's what I was looking for.

I've always used the black ones with GM baker sealer. I never had any leaks, but they sure weren't reusable. I ordered the Moroso. I'll see how they work. Modern transmission pans come with a steel frame with a print seal gasket in it and are reusable. That's what I was looking for.
That's what i figured. Definitely wouldn't mind running some!

I have used Edel re-usable gaskets on other brands, would probably have them for Chry.

An idea I was told about some time ago, & applied it to oil pan gasket with no leaks, never removed pan. Here's the deal , take a cork gasket & spread axel grease on both surfaces. The heat from the motor will cause the grease to saturate the cork & keep it pliable & not stick to mating surfaces, allowing for reuse.

I change my VC gaskets fairly often and have now gone to a solid lifter cam and will spend more time adjusting lash this year. Are there any reusable VC gaskets out there? I can't seem to find any. a lot of cars nowadays have them on the transmission pan. It would save me que a bit in the long run if I can find some.
II cork wi
I use the cork ones with 3m weatherstrip adhesive between gasket & cover , let it dry then install.I’ve had covers off& on several times, no leaks.

We have both the Mopar Grey ones and Moroso Blue ones on our cars and I highly recommend them especially if your going to have the valve covers on and off. You will need either cast or fab valve covers as when you try to use them with original style valve covers it will make the gasket tear, ask me how I know...

-
Back