anyone modify stock sending unit for intank pump?

-

66plyValiant

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has pictures or ideas of how they modified there sending units for EFI intank pump. or if you added a carburated electric intank pump I would like to see that as well

Thanks for any help!

just impressive...

http://ramchargercentral.com/rcs-td...ar-hatch-pic/msg1855034/?topicseen#msg1855034

0481024x768_zpsa5d1c8a0.jpg

thats a very nice sending unit that was built; only thing is mine is in a M body tank (think diplomat) and the sending unit comes in from the top of the tank goes to the bottom and most of the way across the tank! having issues with mounting east-west compared to the normal north south mounting

I run a fast Efi setup as well. On my a-body tank I modified it to use their external pump. But if it doesn't last I will be going to An in-tank pump. I think it would be fairly easy. Just mount the pump at the end and same original length. Then maybe add some bracing to support the pump would seem all that bad. That's really not any help but I have thought about it a little for my next time around if I need it.

I recall seeing photos of one or more just attached to a rubber hose where the screen would be. I recall they ran the wires thru a drilled hole in the sender and sealed with epoxy. I don't like the idea of pump in the tank, though I never heard of a gas tank blowing up like in Hollywood movies. They are even questioning now if the Swiss Air flight really blew up due to bad wiring in the fuel tank or if people really did see a missile go up just before that.

I recall seeing photos of one or more just attached to a rubber hose where the screen would be. I recall they ran the wires thru a drilled hole in the sender and sealed with epoxy. I don't like the idea of pump in the tank, though I never heard of a gas tank blowing up like in Hollywood movies. They are even questioning now if the Swiss Air flight really blew up due to bad wiring in the fuel tank or if people really did see a missile go up just before that.

there is no possible way for a fuel pump to cause a tank to explode, since the pump is sumerged in the fuel there is no oxygen to support a fire; I've replaced pumps on newer chev trucks and to my surprise the pump was all melted where the plastic on it was

there is no possible way for a fuel pump to cause a tank to explode, since the pump is sumerged in the fuel there is no oxygen to support a fire; I've replaced pumps on newer chev trucks and to my surprise the pump was all melted where the plastic on it was

When you're running 1/4 or less tank of fuel, is the pump still submerged? Lots of area for fumes in there, and 1 spark...POOF!

I've been told its preferable to keep your FI fuel tank above the 1/2 full mark, as this keeps the pump cool submerged in the fuel. 1/2 tank and below, pump is exposed.

My idea doesn't suit your plan but.. While my son was driving a 96 Cherokee we had to replace that electric pump. I took a liking to that setup. The pump, sender, pressure regulator, is all in one assembly.
I did some measuring and found I would need to delete the spare tire well in my 67 A-body and raise the trunk floor about 2 inches in that area too.
I should have gotten some Ohms readings off that sender while I had a chance.
Another wild and crazy thought was could I delete the turn downs by extending the trunk floor to the quarter skins ? I would need a body side molding to hide the line of spot welds in the quarter. I've been considering a 1 inch wide chrome/vinyl side molding for many years anyway. It could all come together very nicely.
Good luck with whatever you try.

-
Back