Anyone replace windshield trim with locking strips

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I want to do away with all the chrome and shiny trims on my Dart and replace it with black. Has anyone had any luck with replacing the windshield and rear trim with locking strips?
I have found a couple pieces that look like they may work. Any suggestions or pictures of this being done?

either this:
image-resize.aspx

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-12884-et105b-5-8-channel-molding-with-butyl.html

or something like this:
image-resize.aspx

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-1506-wfsr100-universal-windshield-filler-strip.html

Mine is all dented from a previous owners hammering it back on and I want to black it all out.

I want to black mine out too revive this thread when you figure it out because it sounds like a great idea

I removed the stainless off my '69 Barracuda and replaced it with the rubber trim that the windshield guy had in his truck. They make 3 or different sizes of rubber trim that comes on a long roll. Not only did it come out nice but I sold my old trim for $500!! I removed the front and back trim because Barracudas are notorious for rusting around the locking tabs. That's where the rust starts then it eats away the gutter then you have a big problem

I removed the stainless off my '69 Barracuda and replaced it with the rubber trim that the windshield guy had in his truck. They make 3 or different sizes of rubber trim that comes on a long roll. Not only did it come out nice but I sold my old trim for $500!! I removed the front and back trim because Barracudas are notorious for rusting around the locking tabs. That's where the rust starts then it eats away the gutter then you have a big problem

Any pictures of this? Maybe some close ups?

Yes, I can get some close ups later today. If I forget just remind me this evening because I'm right in the middle of installing a 2004R overdrive in my Barracuda.

Thanks,
Treblig

Sorry, I actually remembered about the pics but the car was up on the car lift getting the tranny installed and I never got around to lowering the car to take pics of the glass seal. But I'm working on it tomorrow and I'll do my best to get the pics. If you'll check out the thread below you can see what I've been up to for the last few months getting the tranny swap together....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970424724#post1970424724

Treblig

Here are the pics. Like I said the windshield guy carries three rools of different trim. I picked out the one that mad the best fit for the from and the rear glass. I also had him remove the front and back glass and reinstall both with the original rubber and urethane. Once the urethane had set I used some high quality brush on undercoat in the gutter/trough area. I also completely covered the spots where the locking clips/tabs used to be. Now my glass will never leak and the trough will never rust (well at least while I'm alive LOLOLOL) . After that I picked the rubber trim that looked best to fill in where the stainless used to be and the windshield guy urethaned the strips into the gutter.
I still need to do a little clean up along the edges to make it really nice.
treblig

Attachments

• DSC03253.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC03254.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC03255.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC03256.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC03257.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC03258.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC03259.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC03262.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC03264.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03265.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 135
I think it makes the Barracuda look like a Drag car. No frills, clean and slick for drag racing!!

Treblig

-
Back