Anyone run W2 style rockers on Edelbrock heads??

-

Hemirunner

Reaction score
I'm looking at the edelbrock RPM heads for a 408 stroker. The pushrod clearance tube is killing minimum CSA and port volume. Anyone weld this up and move it over and put an offset rocker on these???

could use the 6pack intake rockers there not offset as far as w2's, and I would try it before buying bigger heads , just my 2 cents.

Hughesengines.com sells a kit to do the job or you can send them your heads to have it done as well as purchase the heads done with the pushrods hole pluged and redrilled for off set rockers. Hughes has there own off set roller rockers available in 1.5 or 1.6 ratio.

Do not use W2 material. Use standard LA rockers with an off set.
340-6 pack rockers have a certain off set amount that I can not remember. Hughes own off set rockers are off set a different amount as it is with other makers of off set rockers.

I would most likely just mill in the new pushrod tunnel on the bridgeport and then TIG weld up the heads. Typical garage work. I was looking at using the Harland Sharp W2/W5 style 1.6 rockers or a Jesel sportsman series in a 1.65.

I already have the heads, just trying to get more out of this combo. I'm going from a flat tappet to a hydraulic roller and these heads are holding it back.

Again, just to be sure, "Do not use the W series rocker gear on the Edelbrock head. It will not swap

i/m using the hughes offset 1.6 rockers and bigmouth heads , they work well , it's just i'm using the wrong intake and engine runs out of breath at 5700 rpm, with a good intake i figure it will make power up to 6500 at least . so fa I'm happy with the rockers and heads

yes...indy does

Indy used to offer the "IndyBrock" heads that they bought semi-machined from Edelbrock and moved the rocker shaft saddles back on the cast-in pedestals and tapped the holes centered at 3/8". Then they used 440 rockers (offset .250") to eliminate just about all of the pushrod pinch. I have a set and my porting guy got a hair over [email protected]"+ out of that mod, compared to regular Eddys. If I remember correctly, they (Indy) supplied the heads with longer than Eddy valves, because I think my installed height was 1.900"aprox. I was running a .688" Lunati (Ultradyne lobes) solid roller, so that meant alot. I think my Eddys set up closer to 1.800", but I was running an Ultradyne .590" flat tappet with those heads.

Really? They moved the saddles back for the rocker shaft? I never heard that. Interesting! To say the least.

Would you retype/correct the cylinder heads flow?

On my OOTB Edelbrock heads, the installer spring height was 1.900. Not all were even perfect. I remachined the valve spring pockets for larger springs to match the cam purchased. All heights were within .005 afterwards.

Really? They moved the saddles back for the rocker shaft? I never heard that. Interesting! To say the least.

On my OOTB Edelbrock heads, the installer spring height was 1.900. Not all were even perfect. I remachined the valve spring pockets for larger springs to match the cam purchased. All heights were within .005 afterwards.

He "got" 20+cfm (increase) with that mod. I think the flow went from 280ish to 305ish, both fully ported by the same guy, flowed on the same bench. The IndyBrocks had 2.05" intakes, though! So it was a small bang for the buck, but I like the relocated saddles, because it opens up the spring/retainer OD possiblilties and I have many 440 rockers/ratios available on the free or cheap, too. I know we used Comp 985 springs with my regular Eddys and I was able to run 9315 Iskys (BB Chevy application I think) in the IndyBrocks.

indyBrocks.jpg
indyBrocks2.jpg

On the first picture you can clearly see the offset on the rocker shaft in the cast-in pedestal. The second photo shows the lack of pushrod pinch and the 440-style rockers on my 416, built back in 2009. Otherwide I'da had TrickFlow and Victor options.

Last edited:
-
Back