Anyone try these distributors?

-
they are adjustable,is just not real precise .there are 2 tabs on the advance plate that can be tweaked to limit total advance.the one in the link is not a procomp but the procomp parts will interchange with it(advance springs,cap ,rotor ,etc.).they come with 20*mech advance.all in by 2200 on the sb version.

They tell you this, but i checked mine, the total advance wasn't in untill aroung 33-3500, it still worked fairly decent with the vacuum advance though & was quit peppy from light too light under moderate to slightly heavy throttle, but from a dead stop & slamming the go pedal it was a little lazy untill the mech. got going, it has a med. & a very heavy spring.

they are adjustable,is just not real precise .there are 2 tabs on the advance plate that can be tweaked to limit total advance.the one in the link is not a procomp but the procomp parts will interchange with it(advance springs,cap ,rotor ,etc.).they come with 20*mech advance.all in by 2200 on the sb version.

So on a Stroker where you need alot more INITIAL TIMING lets say 20-24*
you would need to limit the mechanical advance to 10-14* to get 30-34* all in at lets say 22-2400RPM MAX orrrrrrrrrrr you gunna screw some stuff up...........ping ping ping, boom!

How hard would it be to modify the mechanical advance? Is it hard to do, are there marks to help you or is it done by trial and error?

POS,

Have you used this dizzy with any type of rev limiter or retard box? You are a NITROUS guy so I figured I would ask.

Also can you dial the curve in and limit the advance? If so How?
You won't be using the vac advance correct?

Never ran one so I don't know and that is why I am asking.

I cant answer that.

before I was using the jacobs nitrous mastermind to control retard, rpm window, progressive nitrous control and limiting with EFI. I dont think they make it anymore! I'm glad I have another one new in the box though in case I do. I think Accel bought them out or something. Shame too. Jacobs made good ****.

I dont plan on using nitrous on this 408. Just running it N/A.

We'll have this conversation when I get my r3 together though. That might not be for a while.

you would need to limit the mechanical advance to 10-14* to get 30-34* all in at lets say 22-2400RPM MAX orrrrrrrrrrr you gunna screw some stuff up...........ping ping ping, boom!

How hard would it be to modify the mechanical advance? Is it hard to do, are there marks to help you or is it done by trial and error?

Trial and error. Not hard to do. just change/combine different springs or weights to get what you need. usually just springs.

random pic off the web...

Here's what you're dealing with...you can get weights and springs from anywhere. Coils, caps, modules etc are all over the place. Set it and forget it. I use the one like this that costs a little more but has the wider cap. Poles are spaced farther apart and the coil is IN THE CAP. I feel I get more easy adjustment this way but maybe it's in my head. Eliminates the coil wire, an external box, external coil and all the wiring. Makes the bay clean. I am unsure if this hits the firewall in a bodies. I dont think so. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Only diff between the small cap and big cap is the coil is external on the small cap unit. Just as good. I like it all self-contained. Cleans everything up and fires with a good strong spark.
fits in a 2000 dakota just fine.:cheers:
dsc01241.jpg

not hard to change the curve.there is a plug in the housing you can remove and reach inside with needle nose and bend the 2 tabs on the advance plate.or you can access the whole thing from the top by removing a few screws and a snap ring.and the one i have the advance is all in by 2200.im running 18 initial and 34 total.no ping....oh yeah its done by trial and error,but not difficult.

Slantsixdan likes GM HEI. It's me that said they're not all that great like so many people claim, but I didn't say they were junk. For a stock or near stock engine it's ok, but so is a stock mopar ignition. Just like anything else when you build a performance engine the ignition needs upgrading because most stock ignitions don't fire good over 5,000 rpm.

Is that why Megasquirt and Holly Commander EFI systems use them? :-D

Gotta disagree with you on that one Tracy. (Old thread an all)

Any Questions call Skip White Perf in Kingsport Tn...has them for big and smblk,with or without vac pods,roller bearings, hei, tested to 12,000 rpm,can get different caps for reg mopar but std in hei caps,very good looking and performing units,easy 2 wire hook-up...much better than oem...have purchased 6 so far in last 6-7 yrs never once a problem, usually shipped to your door for under 55-60 bucs..also carries parts for them cheap if you ever need them so readily available,I have had not one failure but did break a cap once had it in 3 days 12 bucs shpd...they are self contained units with no need for factory brainbox,ballast resistor or the factory wiring for oem,as far as msd they can be compatible but really no need for msd with this system other than rpm control or limit...all mine were bblk except for 1 smblk,superior in every way,just got one for my 440 so thats 7 purchased...Skip is the one who introduced them and lots of others have jumped on the bandwagon,KMJ perf has them and I have purchased stuff from them with good results....so give Skip a call and he will answer your questions and inform you on whats up....

I run one in my 408 , make tons of power, is the fastest starting mopar I have ever owned. Only complaint is the ton of crap I take at shows because I run a gm style dist.

I run one in my 408 , make tons of power, is the fastest starting mopar I have ever owned. Only complaint is the ton of crap I take at shows because I run a gm style dist.
I got a brand new one for a bigblock, still in the box never installed,gauranteed by skip white. take $40 plus shipping. went to fast 2.0 w/ locked dist.-----bob:blob:

Attachments

• skipwhite1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 374
This one, on the other hand, also sold by White appears to be "the same" Chineseo outfit ALSO seemingly soled by other venders (Yes I realize it's not for a SB, merely an example)

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-PLYMOUTH-440-426-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-PE-342-R-/350787490329?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51ac905219&vxp=mtr"]Dodge Plymouth 440 426 Hei Distributor PE 342 R | eBay[/ame]

Attachments

• skipwhiteebay.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 334
So no one has it hooked up to a msd box

if you are referring to this type of distributor...

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-DODGE-CHRYSLER-318-340-360-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-6713-R-/330830750870?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d070ca496"]Mopar Dodge Chrysler 318 340 360 Hei Distributor 6713 R | eBay[/ame]

No msd box is required...just hook it up to a 12 volt coil....you will have to by pass the internal HEI module to run a msd 6a

if you want to run a msd box like a 6A or 6AL....you want something like this distributor...needs external ignition box...

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-DODGE-MOPAR-PRO-BILLET-318-340-360-V8-DISTRIBUTOR-WPM-PB-13-R-/190879871327?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7153b15f&vxp=mtr"]Chrysler Dodge Mopar Pro Billet 318 340 360 V8 Distributor WPM PB 13 R | eBay[/ame]

if you are referring to this type of distributor...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-DODGE...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d070ca496

No msd box is required...just hook it up to a 12 volt coil....you will have to by pass the internal HEI module to run a msd 6a

if you want to run a msd box like a 6A or 6AL....you want something like this distributor...needs external ignition box...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-DO...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7153b15f&vxp=mtr

You have essentially posted what I just posted, LOL

well...your post was not there went I started...lol

I picked up a dist, coil, and wire set (red) for a 440 and one of the wires were short. They sent me a longer one with both strait and 90 cap ends and terminals. Any 8mm male dist terminal works fine in the cap. MSD makes a set of 90's for 8mm wires that I just installed, did not like the straight boots. THEY DO HAVE RED, GBLUE AND BLACK CAPS, just specify when ordering.

Here are some pics sorry cannot find how to delete them.

Attachments

• SAM_0010.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 291
  • SAM_0011.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 272
I think you posted the wrong photos? Those are the thrust sleeves for a reverse rotation marine engine.

We've had one from Skip on Dad's Dart for 3-4 years now. No complaints, and can't beat the price.

I am planning to buy one, just to have on hand as a tool, for quick hassle-free trouble shooting I think they would make a great emergency backup solution too, or bring one along with a spare battery pack when you want to look at a potential project car that hasn't been started in a while, etc. Pop that baby in and clip a 12v and ground wire to it and va-room! (hopefully)

The car I recently bought has sat for years so I am chasing several issues at once and not quite sure what all is good or what may be worn out so this will come in very handy to work on tuning the engine back up one thing at a time.

My two cents at least. Can't go wrong for the price

does anyone know if the large one with the gm cap will fit into a 1965 barracuda. I just purchased one and the engine is still on the stand.

does anyone know if the large one with the gm cap will fit into a 1965 barracuda. I just purchased one and the engine is still on the stand.

I have seen three different aproaches with the big cap distributor.
One said he had to massage the firewall a tiny bit, and another said it just barely cleared the firewall.
I guess the difference could have been worn motor mounts.

One of them was in a Dart and it hit his wiper motor.

Not real comforting for you probably.

One thing about the small cap "all in one" is that a lot of people poo poo them as Chinese junk, but I have never seen a legitimate complaint about them by anyone.
One guy said his was bad out of the box, but got a new one sent and no problem.

I have one in my 32 Roadster w/ 440 and 65 Dart Gt 340. also use the crab and original type in my 32 coupe with a flat head. No problems with all 4 electronic, all from speed way.

Bob

-
Back