Anyone use these Alternators????

-
Custom? That is a 3G Ford front housing, with a 4G Ford back half. It does make a decent alternator, but the "one wire" regulator is an aftermarket piece.

Using the OEM ford regulator with a warning light would be better. The 4G is a good design, and you can change the regulator or brushes with a nutdriver in a couple of minutes. They are 8 diode units with great output at idle speeds.

If you do upgrade to a 130 amp or higher alternator, you must install larger wiring from the alternator all the way to the battery post. You will need to deal with the ammeter issue by either bypassing it or installing a shunt.

His prices are a bit high.

B.

I was considering one of these 130 amp units. And I already do have the ammeter bypassed as well as 8 gauge charge wire to the batt. Id be more than happy to pay less money for one though...

I just got a new 80 amp mopar style unit, with a new 2 pin electronic regulator. Both parts, shipped to my door was under 130 bucks. That site you posted wants more than that for just the alternator.

I can't give you a price on the 3G/4G hybrid, but I know my vendor can build them. He does a nice 220 amp 3G for under 180 bucks. Probably close to that with the 4G back end - they use the same stator.

He does all my class 8 truck stuff, and John has always been a solid supplier for me:

Cargo Alternator & Starter
1-800-491-4490
[email protected]

Hope this helps.

B.

Well I went ahead and ordered the 130 amp unit. Really couldnt find a better deal $185 shipped, its a one wire already and it also bolts to factory brackets. Mancini wants $249 for their 120 amp denso setup before shipping. A stocker just doesnt put out enough at idle for me and this one puts out 95 amps at idle.

-
Back