Are all 340 blocks the same?

-

Doosterfy

Reaction score
OK, I know its probably been discussed but I did a search and could not find the info. Anyway with that said I'd like to know if all 340 blocks are the same or if there's a particular casting number or year that's better or is there any years to avoid. I'm planning a small block build and I'm going to start looking for a good used and not used up 340 block. I don't need any info on cranks or any other parts, only the block.

I believe some of the six pack blocks had thicker main webbing. You were supposed to be able to drill them for 4 bolt mains

Unless you are building for class constraints, I see no reason "not" to use a 360

I don't know the answer to your question, but don't listen to the 340 haters man, if you got the money to burn, let it burn! More cubes is more cubes, assuming you put a stroker crank in.
You are just north of Mooresville correct? Did you go down to the Hotchkiss shop and get a chance to see Consulier's Dart Sport project when it was under construction?
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=270106&highlight=Hotchkis+dart+build

T/A 340 had beefier webs for 4 bolt but were not drilled. Otherwise the rest were identical. I think piston selection is better at .030 for some reason.

They are all the same casting.

Problem is, it might be kind of hard to find one that has not been bored. That said, even if you find a virgin block it does not mean these is any less core shift.

Also, the decks on all factory blocks can be way off.

I don't know the answer to your question, but don't listen to the 340 haters man, if you got the money to burn, let it burn! More cubes is more cubes.
You are just north of Mooresville correct? Did you go down to the Hotchkiss shop and get a chance to see Consulier's Dart Sport project when it was under construction?
Yes I'm one town north of Mooresville. I have not been to any of the shops, too busy getting established at this point. I have seen lots of drag racing though. Lots of 1/8 mile tracks close by so its not the long drive I had back in CT. I ran my Duster at Mooresville once when I first brought it down, drove it there, never even opened the hood and ran a best of 7.16@96 mph. Car is in storage now until we buy a house.

The T/A block would be great but I'm sure the cost would be a deal breaker, I would shell out the bucks for a race block if I could afford it. I'm reasonably sure I will exceed the limits with a 360 block, that's why I'd rather have a 340 block, I'm not going 340 block for the bore. I have seen a few 340 blocks pop up in classified adds, usually around $500 so I view them as still being a pretty good deal. I'm in no rush so time is on my side, I can wait for the right deal. Thanks for the info, I now know the casting date does not matter.

Look at:
- How much it has been bored; it's important to find one that is minimal if you are going to keep it for a while so that you can re-bore it.
- Look at the lifter bores for wear and bad rust
- If you want to run hydraulic rollers, then look at the chamfers at the tops of the lifter bores; they can be problematic for hydraulic rollers if they are chamfered a lot (and some are. It seems like some drunk at the end of the machining line did these chamfers to random depths LOL. Or just go to a solid roller. There are several threads here about this issue.

There are very few race blocks left, don't even think they are being made any more. I read on Moparts there are 4 left and they are not siamesed.

There really is no difference between a 340 and 360 block strength wise, they are the same. Not sure where you came up with that? Different bore and mains, that's it. Same block.

How much power are you planning on that you are thinking of exceeding the limits of a factory block?

There are very few race blocks left, don't even think they are being made any more. I read on Moparts there are 4 left and they are not siamesed.

There really is no difference between a 340 and 360 block strength wise, they are the same. Not sure where you came up with that? Different bore and mains, that's it. Same block.

How much power are you planning on that you are thinking of exceeding the limits of a factory block?
The 340 has smaller mains on the crank. This is an assumption but that means more meat in the mains in the block so doesn't that mean more strength in the block? Also slower bearing speeds in the bearings. I have read that the 340 block is stronger and can handle more power. Is that false? I'm planning on about 600 hp and I'm pretty sure that's right on the edge with a 360 block. I hate mechanical failures especially major ones that cost big bucks. My view is to always build things that can handle more power than you have.

360 block will work and cost you a bunch less than a 340 block will.

None of our assumptions are actual concerns.

360 block will work and cost you a bunch less than a 340 block will.

None of our assumptions are actual concerns.
I may wind up using a 360 block but I'm definitely going to be looking for a 340 block first. No rush. Not looking for a complete engine, going to be building piece by piece and the only factory part I would be using will be the block, accessory brackets and timing cover. No need to haul home a complete greasy hulk. Also not using any kind of roller cam, it will be a solid flat tappet cam.

an acquaintance has run a best of 10.47 in his 340 based 372.
he has cracked one cylinder wall and said his power is exceeding the block strength so
is looking for a race block.
600 hp may be pushing a bored stock small block?

More material at a particular point in the block does not necessarily equate to more strength; it all depends on where the forces go and what is in the path of the force. For example, having a smaller diameter journal does not necessarily change the strength in the bolt hole area at all.

I know I read somewhere that the 340 block can handle considerably more power than the 360 block. Are you guys telling me that is false information?

Totally bullshit. Yes. Any block should be sonic tested at the level you want to reach regardless of displacement. The issue is not the lower end, but the cylinder walls. If you go with a 4" stoke it doesn't matter. Bearing speed will not be a concern with what you're doing.

Totally bullshit. Yes. Any block should be sonic tested at the level you want to reach regardless of displacement. The issue is not the lower end, but the cylinder walls. If you go with a 4" stoke it doesn't matter. Bearing speed will not be a concern with what you're doing.

LOL, I tried to be more diplomatic...

Bullshit is a great answer. :cheers: :D

OK, so the mains are not the problem area. I'm not using 4" stoke. I'll likely be going with a brand new forged crank with 3.58" stroke. The plan is to not build a small block that runs like a big block. I don't need or want a big fat torque curve or low end torque with this engine. I'm not going crazy with huge heads either, going to be very carefully looking for someone who can port Eddy RPMs or something similar to deliver somewhere between 280 and 300 cfm without exceeding .650" lift and hopefully not kill the low and mid lift flow. It is going to be high compression around 13 to 1 and run race fuel. I'm planning on running my car in The Gear Jammers races which is all manual trans. Going to a four speed and what ever rear gears will put it through the traps in the 1/8 mile at the top of 4th gear. I want to build it to make maximum power between 5000-7500 rpm and completely ignore the numbers below 5000. The cam will be custom ground to match the heads and intake as best as possible and it also all has to fit under the flat hood with an air cleaner. Its about working within constraints instead of just going crazy with huge parts. If I had the time and money I would build a stock eliminator car but I don't so gear jammers looks like a good alternative.

If I was going 600 hp I'd be going big block, especially cause of the new trick flow heads, 440 can do it easy and if you want the power at lower rpm stroke it.

And if you want a revver build a 400

Wow! Indeed it does! I like what your doing. IF I could find a thick walled 340 for this project, that is what I would be looking for. Bigger bores have a direct impact of HP. Also, the bigger the bore the better the heads like it.

The bearing speed is a low issue for most purposes. You could also modify the bearing seat for a more narrow bearing shell. This is out lines in the MoPars engines book. A book with many secrets.

The 340 block is exactly the same as a 360 block except the bore size and crank journal size. While the crank journal is larger, it doesn't make it any weaker. As mentioned before, above, where are the stress loads?
If less metal is weaker, then here is a bit of food for thought. There's less metal around the piston in the block due to a larger 340 piston. But yet it holds up great! Torque is the killer of parts far more than horse power.

N.C. is a state with many talented engine builders. If you have doubts for any reason, here at FABO there are several talented engine builders who can help you out. Mike Listen @ MRL (screen name MRL) Brain Halflinger (spelling? Sorry Brian) screen name OU812, (Cracked back can tell you about him) are a pair of fellas here.
"Moper" does a lot of engine work as well. He is a sharp (and a goodfella.)

At 13-1, are you going to run E-85?

If I was going 600 hp I'd be going big block, especially cause of the new trick flow heads, 440 can do it easy and if you want the power at lower rpm stroke it.

I am considering that route for my 400. The heads are awesome.

op says he's going 3.58 stroke
that 10.47 372 i spoke of is shifted at 8000 rpm.
my builder also says if your going to twist it to 8000 you should stick with the 340

My car has a 440 with about 575 hp and automatic trans in it now. The plan has always been to build different combos for the car and at this point I want a small block/four speed combo.

-
Back