Are my headers cooking my PS box?

-

Duggie

Reaction score
Since making a set of Clifford shorties barely fit around my '64 Dart PS gear and clutch linkage, I've noticed a 0.5 to 1 second lag or seemingly moment of the PS pump going inoperative when I'm at idle and turning a corner. Doesn't happen every time and usually "freezes" about halfway through turning the steering wheel when entering the turn.

The only other thing I did while doing the header project was to replace the turn signal switch and steering column bearing under the turn signal switch.

Can the headers be causing a vapor lock or something in power steering box?

Hdr1.jpg
Hdr2.JPG

Yes they are. Heat won’t help it out any. That is a lot of heat right there. If they aren’t touching they are very close. Can you make a heat shield and install a PS cooler?

Last edited:
PS cooler. Heat shield

Do you have a round neck TRW/Eaton pump or a Saginaw style oval head? I’ve had round head style with that lag. But it just didn’t start because of an added heat source. I changed to Saginaw style, problem was gone.

PS cooler. Heat shield

Do you have a round neck TRW/Eaton pump or a Saginaw style oval head? I’ve had round head style with that lag. But it just didn’t start because of an added heat source. I changed to Saginaw style, problem was gone.
Would you call this a round head?
PS Pump.jpg

That pump is IMO a pos.
Mine did the same thing. I took it apart and inspected it but there was nothing wrong with it. I tried another which behaved the same.
I switched to a Saginaw and my troubles were over.

Rookie questions fill my little pointed head; What Saginaw pump model number bolts on best to a /6? Do the old mounting brackets work? Does the pump come with the proper pulley?
:poke:
May be time to crank up the search engine.

Rookie questions fill my little pointed head; What Saginaw pump model number bolts on best to a /6? Do the old mounting brackets work? Does the pump come with the proper pulley?
:poke:
May be time to crank up the search engine.

Ah-hah! I'll keep an eye out in the classifieds for the pump and bracket that fits my slant.

Thanks!

I did one thing to my Federal/TRW pump, and it made a big difference in alleviating the symptoms you are describing. I changed the power steering fluid. I used a turkey baster, and sucked out what I could from the reservoir. I then filled it and ran the engine for a couple of minutes to circulate. I repeated the process three or four times, and night and day difference.
Because of the heat source next to your steering gear, use a synthetic fluid, which will resist thinning due to temperature better. Red Line makes a great product for a reasonable price.
This might work well enough to cure the symptoms while you search for a Saginaw pump and brackets. They are a much better pump. You may want to post a Wanted to Buy ad here on FABO or look on Ebay. Saginaw pumps were used with Slantys for many years. You will want to be sure about pulley compatibility. The experts here can help you. Good luck!

I'm just askin here, so don't kill the questioner. Obviously, you're not interested in a numbers restoration with headers. Why not convert to manual steering? A bodies don't need it.

Lots of guys with bad shoulders, etc, and they want power steering. Their choice.

I'm just askin here, so don't kill the questioner. Obviously, you're not interested in a numbers restoration with headers. Why not convert to manual steering? A bodies don't need it.
Yep, as a kid I was trained in the art of "Armstrong Power Steering". When in tight quarters and jockeying back and forth - keep it rolling while you crank the wheel full lock the other direction so you're not fighting the friction of the tire footprint sitting still on the pavement. This being my 110lb honey's cruiser (and my tinker toy) I'd be inclined to keep her pampered with the PS. This will be just another maintenance project that happens behind the curtain.

Keep 'em coming Rusty! :poke:

Yep, as a kid I was trained in the art of "Armstrong Power Steering". When in tight quarters and jockeying back and forth - keep it rolling while you crank the wheel full lock the other direction so you're not fighting the friction of the tire footprint sitting still on the pavement. This being my 110lb honey's cruiser (and my tinker toy) I'd be inclined to keep her pampered with the PS. This will be just another maintenance project that happens behind the curtain.

Keep 'em coming Rusty! :poke:
Then to answer your question, I don't see the heat from the exhaust causing any problem with the power steering.

I wouldn't worry about it. Yeah headers are hot, and it looks close but they dissipate more heat faster than the cast iron manifold simply because of the thinness of them. And that heat is also spread and dissipated among the whole length and tube by tube.
This is why people who own motorhomes and hard working trucks that tow often, prefer headers exactly because of the way they shed heat. And that breeze created by driving thru the air, dissipates and carries away that heat faster, so the engine compartment actually runs cooler because of them.

-
Back