Are Speedmaster Heads Good? I've Heard a Lot of Bad Press on Edelbrock 340 Heads Lately

-
Let's see, Unported Speedmasters out of the box to CNC Ported Trick Flows. The Speedmasters are 1 small step better than OOTB Edelbrock's and ported Trick flows are a step away from W2's. They better give you 50 horsepower on an engine like that.

Mmmm since the TrickFlow heads are ported we gotta compare them to ported W2 heads. And that’s no comparison as the W2 heads would kick the TrickFlow heads butt.

Mmmm since the TrickFlow heads are ported we gotta compare them to ported W2 heads. And that’s no comparison as the W2 heads would kick the TrickFlow heads butt.
I am thinking flow numbers off the top of my head. I'm sure the cnc Speedmasters wouldn't come close to the TF's and the cnc TF's probably flow less than a untouched W2. I don't know the numbers. Just guessing.

I am thinking flow numbers off the top of my head. I'm sure the cnc Speedmasters wouldn't come close to the TF's and the cnc TF's probably flow less than a untouched W2. I don't know the numbers. Just guessing.

TrickFlows max out around 300. My stock W2 head’s years ago stock flowed [email protected] then fell on their face. With a little port work and the stock 3/8 (2.02 valve) they easily went over 300. I’m sure with a 2.08 (11/32 valve) they could push the 330 cfm area and probably more really leaning on them. Such a beautiful shot side.

Last edited:
Even more impressive. It had better make 50 more horse on a well prepped small block.

Well, I found my “769” W2 race head flow sheet but I can’t quickly find the ported sheet. It went 324cfm with a 2.08 valve.
I don’t remember the valve stem size though. I know I should!

This particular head was the latest and last head with MP revisions.

70883096589__27C2F965-2BBF-4B1D-B60B-50974E4465E1.jpeg

Weren't Speedmaster parts pulled from the shelves at Summit and Jegs because of some sort of copyright violation?

Weren't Speedmaster parts pulled from the shelves at Summit and Jegs because of some sort of copyright violation?
Valve bodies but I don't know about all their parts.

I just did a search at Summit Racing, zero speedmaster parts

Valve bodies but I don't know about all their part…

After checking Jegs, I did t find any Speedmaster parts in there listings.

I did find “JEGS” branded parts.

I’m s it the same foundry? Maybe, maybe not. IDK.

Last edited:
After checking Jegs, I did t find any Speedmaster parts in there listings.

I did find “JEGS” branded parts.

I’m s it the same foundry? Maybe, maybe not. IDK.
Interesting. That could be. Somehow I doubt if they have a foundry in Ohio private labeling product for them. :lol:

I thought it a bit odd that they would pull all of the products of Speedmaster from the shelves. Maybe a CYA move?

There's a barge off of pier1 that has all your speedmaster needs. or you can go to Ohio and pickup quality Trick flow parts. lol

No, thats an amazing improvement from a head swap, at that performance point! 50 hp maybe. 75 maybe too.

Edit: Wallace says a 500hp/3000lb/7.07 goes to 600hp/3000lbs/6.65.
If you got that JUST from a head swap... those speedmasters must have been garbage!
How can the speedmasters be garbage? I paid $440 with shipping for mine (bare castings) on black friday 2020, so with good hardware I have $8-900 in the heads. Best 1/8 mile on mine in a 3320lb car was 7.21 at 94mph in the 1/8th, seems like good ET economy to me. Granted the tricklflows are much better but for what I have into them I would challenge anyone to beat them. I have 3.5 seasons and about 500 passes on the motor to this point.

How can the speedmasters be garbage? I paid $440 with shipping for mine (bare castings) on black friday 2020, so with good hardware I have $8-900 in the heads. Best 1/8 mile on mine in a 3320lb car was 7.21 at 94mph in the 1/8th, seems like good ET economy to me. Granted the tricklflows are much better but for what I have into them I would challenge anyone to beat them. I have 3.5 seasons and about 500 passes on the motor to this point.
So I guess now my dilemma now is in order to eventually reach my goal of low 10's do I.
Option 1: Spend $3-4k for some trickflows with a manifold and Harland sharps to pick up a few tenths on my 360?
Option 2: Get an Indy top end set with valvetrain for $6-7k that will give me much more potential on the top end when I eventually build a stroker for max power?
Option 3a: Keep the Speedmasters and keep running this motor and build a completely separate 360 based stroker.
Option 3b: Keep the Speedmasters and keep running this motor and build a completely separate 400 or 383 based stroker.

I know other components will need upgraded along the way particularly if I go big block. The car already has a cage.

The car is street legal but race only at this point, first time I put it sideways at 50 mph I decided it was best for my pocketbook and driving record not to street drive the car.

My first suggestion would be to get the car down to 3000-3200 pounds (closer to 3000 the better) and get the chassis right. At that weight Edelbrock or Speedmaster heads can get you there with porting.

My friends car just ran 6.40 in not the best weather at Norwalk and that would be a 10.0’s in the 1/4. 60 foot times aren’t where they should be yet, only shifting at 6400 rpm with his 408 with ported Edelbrock heads and ported super Victor at 3200 pounds. There’s 3-4 things I Dont like about this build that are probably keeping it out of the 9’s. But I won’t get into that. The nice thing is with a top end (heads and intake) like that if and I said if you ever decide to sell it you won’t lose much money on it. Especially after showing what ET’s it’s capable of.

My first suggestion would be to get the car down to 3000-3200 pounds (closer to 3000 the better) and get the chassis right. At that weight Edelbrock or Speedmaster heads can get you there with porting.
The car is 3,000 by itself the rest is my big ***, but there is a lot I could do to take weight out of the car and me. The car has a 10 point cage and sub frame connectors with Caltracs and slant 6 bars in the front with 90/10 shocks. It seems to work fine creating very similar slips if everything else is in order.

Is there any recommendations for who ports Speedmasters? I emailed IMM years ago and they didnt respond.

The car is 3,000 by itself the rest is my big ***, but there is a lot I could do to take weight out of the car and me. The car has a 10 point cage and sub frame connectors with Caltracs and slant 6 bars in the front with 90/10 shocks. It seems to work fine creating very similar slips if everything else is in order.

Is there any recommendations for who ports Speedmasters? I emailed IMM years ago and they didnt respond.
Brian IMM is on here and I’m surprised he didn’t get back to you. I Dont know him personally but have friends that do and they are very satisfied. The Bloomer heads are the new kid on the block and are a great head developed by two brothers that do fantastic work. They are cnc’d by a well known shop. These heads will easily get you in the 9.’s at the weight I suggested. That’s a head that you could slowly upgrade your engine components and keep going faster. Several posts on that head on this site.

If I was buying new aluminum heads, I would buy the Bloomer heads and not twice. They are better than anything else out there, in a production style head and have proven to make more power than the Trick flows or anything else. By a good bit. They come ready to bolt on, and will support pretty much anything in the future as far as upgrades to an owner could throw at them.
Guy in drag week just went 9.90 with them with a flat hood on pump gas.

Brian IMM is on here and I’m surprised he didn’t get back to you. I Dont know him personally but have friends that do and they are very satisfied. The Bloomer heads are the new kid on the block and are a great head developed by two brothers that do fantastic work. They are cnc’d by a well known shop. These heads will easily get you in the 9.’s at the weight I suggested. That’s a head that you could slowly upgrade your engine components and keep going faster. Several posts on that head on this site.
Does anyone have a contact number for these people? I called BPE racing heads at 714-572-6072 and they deny having any products like that. I have seen on some FB pages they no longer are available as well.

Does anyone have a contact number for these people? I called BPE racing heads at 714-572-6072 and they deny having any products like that. I have seen on some FB pages they no longer are available as well.

Rod Bloomers number is 574-340-5470
Last I knew ( week or so ago) he had I think 6 pair available

-
Back