Are we getting more for our money??

-
My Dad bought a new 58 Plymouth, flat head 6 and 3 on the column, that was the extent of the power equip. on that car. He put a lot of miles on it but the biggest pain were the points. We got stuck in NYC and fortunately a knowledgeable guy helped my Dad reset the points and we were back on the road. So the electronic ignition was a god send, too bad they didn't stop there with the electronic stuff, now you need a degree in Computer tech to fix anything today.

Years ago, my 63 died on the way to work I popped off the distributor cap and found one of the point contacts had fallen off. I kept a set of points in the glove box and a few basic tools, so I changed out the set of points and eyeballed the gap put it all back together and it started, and I drove on to work and wasn't even late. Try that with today's cars.

I'm going to be cryptic here, those that know what I am taking about will agree and others will disagree.

The peak of sensible automotive engineering and reliability was from the mid 70's to the mid 80's. These particular cars gave those that could afford it more for their money in return overtime and the same goes for those who bought good kept used examples. This particular brand was one of and maybe is the first to have a 6 digit(not including 10ths) odometer. Now they make overpriced junk that looses value faster than left out raw chicken.

Big ol red X.
I`d say 87 to 96
throttle body fuel injection was fool proof. At least Nissan`s was.
Your opinion, or you don't know what I was talking about, or both. Lol I'll give you big ol red X.

I should ad that I'm a bit biased, because I've owned one of the best cars in the world.

Last edited:
We're given what someone else thinks is more for our money. There are things such as EFI, ABD brakes and such that I would consider as "more", but I always wanted an ABS "on and off" switch, because there are times when I want brakes to lock up. So I'm on the fence on that one. When it gets to the point that the government can shut your car off because their satellite tells them a sensor is bad and it's now a "gross polluter" and stops you dead in the road, you'll really like computers on cars then. lol Don't think it can happen? They can shoot a signal from a satellite right now and unlock the doors on almost all new cars.....for several years now.

We're given what someone else thinks is more for our money. There are things such as EFI, ABD brakes and such that I would consider as "more", but I always wanted an ABS "on and off" switch, because there are times when I want brakes to lock up. So I'm on the fence on that one. When it gets to the point that the government can shut your car off because their satellite tells them a sensor is bad and it's now a "gross polluter" and stops you dead in the road, you'll really like computers on cars then. lol Don't think it can happen? They can shoot a signal from a satellite right now and unlock the doors on almost all new cars.....for several years now.
Great post. Part of being free is mobility. This country is huge. Travel is not only essential, but it's freedom. It's why they hung horse thieves. Being able to keep your "ride" (be it horse or car) healthy was a part of being free. When a person cannot "give care" for their ride much, and GPS can stop the ride, did we get more for our money ?????? ???? :)
:poke:
Not getting political either, just saying yesterdays trucks vs todays..... is the value equal, better, or worse???

Great post. Part of being free is mobility. This country is huge. Travel is not only essential, but it's freedom. It's why they hung horse thieves. Being able to keep your "ride" (be it horse or car) healthy was a part of being free. When a person cannot "give care" for their ride much, and GPS can stop the ride, did we get more for our money ?????? ???? :)
:poke:
Not getting political either, just saying yesterdays trucks vs todays..... is the value equal, better, or worse???
Arguably worse, IMO, but you knew that already.

Base 1978 D100 base cost 4300.00 in 1978 (so says online).
Adjusted to inflation, that would be 20,700 in 2024. No base Dodge truck for 20k in 2024.

That`s a hard question to answer. I think most vehicles are overpriced by 10K for what you get. Plastic, too much plastic.
Also, look at the years of compatibility. How many years of compatibility are with the new trucks? Transmissions? Computers? etc

... and I understand that my 3.6 V6 with the ZF 8 speed would absolutely crush the '78 6 cylinder in a race, or towing, or MPG. But is that the "be end all" of the discussion... ??? ... ? It certainly is a factor, and needs consideration... or is it a deeper thought that will determine the end decision... :realcrazy:

75-85 was low powered garbage, but hey if that was your era and fond of those cars you should source one and daily drive it.:thumbsup:
I did, and it was not garbage. Unfortunately last year in October I was rear ended by a semi truck and the car was totaled. I'm currently in the process of finding a replacement for the one car I planned to keep forever.

I think there were some cool stuff from '75-'85, not like the hit years of '64-74, but still some nice rides.
Lil Red Express comes to mind.... the Warlock, the Macho... some cool cars also. Aspen R/T, and I was even into the turbo cars for a bit. Shoot, I love our B-vans :D lol

Which is ?
On the top ten lists for the most reliable cars ever and are still being used as taxi cabs in other countries.

Like I said before, I'm going to be cryptic. Whatever you think is whatever you think. I gave enough clues, you don't have to reply when you figure it out, just being part of the fun is enough.

Adjusted to inflation, that would be 20,700 in 2024. No base Dodge truck for 20k in 2024.
This is one the arguments I make with people sometimes. More tech at the base level is the reason why prices are so high, or at least responsible for most of it.

This is one the arguments I make with people sometimes. More tech at the base level is the reason why prices are so high, or at least responsible for most of it.
Honestly, some of the cost increases are due to safety features government regulated like air bags and such.

I still have all the paperwork and window sticker for a 78 W150 I bought off the original owner, I believe the sticker was like $7700
318 4-speed SWB, sliding rear window, and road wheels with a spare tire.

I still have all the paperwork and window sticker for a 78 W150 I bought off the original owner, I believe the sticker was like $7700
318 4-speed SWB, sliding rear window, and road wheels with a spare tire.
and 4x4 .. all for 7700. nice truck !

Big ol red X.
I`d say 87 to 96
throttle body fuel injection was fool proof. At least Nissan`s was.
I would call ford's efi starting in 87 the best.

I would call OBD 2 the best thing that ever happened to cars until 2008 when the addition of data links came and im so glad they never allowed obd 3 to be used, wireless code tracking..... no thanks

-
Back