Are you a Mopar purist?

-

Jmill67

Reaction score
My question is, If you acquired a somewhat classic Chevy or other with no engine and transmission, would you put a Mopar engine in it if you had one sitting around?

I'd find a Chevy to stuff in. Chevy motor mounts are bar none the easiest to make fit into anything. But companies do make a mount from Mopar to Chevy Lowers. They just make your engine have a weird upwards angle

I don't know that I'm a "purist", but I like to see matching brands under the hood of classics and muscle cars.
Later hotrod with "off-brand" motors don't bother me. Wanna put an LS in your fox mustang, go do it!
Some sort of tiny foreign car, with big old American V8, DO IT! (I've got two, neither with a "matching brand"motor).Willys,Anglia,Austin, put in whatever you want!
Saw a nice 57 Ranchero with a bbm in it. I dont think anybody liked it except the owner. Ford guys didn't like it, Mopar guys didn't want it either.
My 55 or 57 chevy might get an engine swap, but it'll be a chevy, cause I've got mopars to put my Mopar engines in.

The guy said " The kid is my illegetimate step child.....but I love him anyway!
I'm not a "purist" per say,but I can not see dropping in another companys engine. Except the street crowd bunch. Thats all 99%of them undertand. Chevy in everything. And IF I was one of them, a mopar would run on a Mopar. Not because Mother Mopar owes me anything or me to her.......

OH Hell yes, just think about wasting all those chebbies with your Mopar powered Camaro, lift the hood and wait for the **** to fly:rofl:

The guy said " The kid is my illegetimate step child.....but I love him anyway!
I'm not a "purist" per say,but I can not see dropping in another companys engine. Except the street crowd bunch. Thats all 99%of them undertand. Chevy in everything. And IF I was one of them, a mopar would run on a Mopar. Not because Mother Mopar owes me anything or me to her.......
I don't think I would have any interest in even a nice street rod Mopar, if it had a chevy in it. How lazy and cheap can you be?

I do have a few "ran when pulled" Mopar engines laying around.

I'd be tempted.

There was a 40's international pickup for sale a while ago...

My question is, If you acquired a somewhat classic Chevy or other with no engine and transmission, would you put a Mopar engine in it if you had one sitting around?
Yup. I would.

I prefer to keep Mopar to Mopar, Chevy to Chevy, etc for the most part, at least for my own junk, maybe because I'm too lazy to think outside the box, I dunno.
I do get tired of seeing a sbc in every hotrod, and I tend to walk past most of them. I will pay more attention to an old T bucket with a Ford motor so I guess in some ways I'm a bit of a purist. I won't knock someone for being creative and building something they wanted, it's their $$ so if it's what they want, why not.

I wouldn"t but dont care if others LS swap into what ever. Put mopar eng into chevy I wouldn't but if some one else wants to dont care have at it.

Thought the 318 in '64 Dart might be tits up and wanted the car to be running and found a 340.
318 probably OK and will be sitting. What good is that ?
There's a '37 Olds for sale locally that needs windshield, engine and trans to drive legally on the street.
Why the Hell not ?

20231128_123321.jpg

I remember a certain 69 F250 that my brother was so pissed off at its 390, that he seriously considered a 318/727..... before there was a way to turn a 318 into a 390...
Luckily (for the truck) a guy I knew totaled out a 69 galaxie that happened to have had a good running 390 in it.... that I connected my brother with.

I remember a certain 69 F250 that my brother was so pissed off at its 390, that he seriously considered a 318/727..... before there was a way to turn a 318 into a 390...
Luckily (for the truck) a guy I knew totaled out a 69 galaxie that happened to have had a good running 390 in it.... that I connected my brother with.
Not so much Mopar into a Ferd. Lol

I do have a few "ran when pulled" Mopar engines laying around.

I'd be tempted.

There was a 40's international pickup for sale a while ago...
Wasn't this one, was it?
Packard straight eight, 4-71, homemade intake, homemade blower drive, 8 into 2 headers. (Seen at a car show in Az)

20221210_084236.jpg

20221210_084227.jpg

20221210_084209.jpg

I'd get a junked out 69 Camaro, dress it up like a Z/28 and put a hot 440 in it. All the Chevy boys would have hadrons when I drove in the parkin lot. Half of um wouldn't know what it was when I raised the hood.

I'm going to agree with @331MP. I prefer to see the engine match the car. If I was fixing up a 39 Ford, it would get a Ford engine. Likewise, a Chevy gets a Chevy engine, a Pontiac gets a Pontiac engine, and a Mopar will ALWAYS get a Mopar engine. I believe that YOU have every right to put any engine in any car, but I have zero desire to ever see a Mopar with an LS engine in it. I realize why people put LS engines in anything with four wheels, but I don't want to see them in Mopars.

i mean, if i had the motor sitting around and i was bored, and i didn't care about cutting up the car or a super clean install to make it like a street bomber for S&G's? sure, why not.

i'm a like for like kind of guy. ford gets a ford, GM gets a GM but a hemi can go in anything.

exceptions being early hot rods done up in the style of the day, like say a caddy motor in a 35, or a 50's olds motor in a 40 ford. *ties another onion to belt*

i have recently found a penchant for big block mopar powered hot rods though. the more 70's cheeze dick looking the better.

I've got a friend with an older Chevy half-ton pickup sporting modern 5.7 Hemi power. He says the Chevy guys at car shows just don't understand.
He did the Hemi power on purpose.
Of course, all of us in Inland Mopars Car Club think it's great...especially the "HEMI POWERED" lettering on the tailgate!

Last edited:
Im pretty sure a 2nd gen Hemi has been placed between the fender wells of nearly everything rolling under the sun.

If it's just an old hotrod, I don't care what engine (or other parts) is in it. I'll probably end up dropping my 340 into a '30-'31 Model A coupe hotrod at some point just because it's proving to be damn near impossible to locate a 30's vintage Dodge/Plymouth coupe to build.

If it's just an old hotrod, I don't care what engine (or other parts) is in it. I'll probably end up dropping my 340 into a '30-'31 Model A coupe hotrod at some point just because it's proving to be damn near impossible to locate a 30's vintage Dodge/Plymouth coupe to build.
ain't that the truth!

i want so badly to do a 30's plymouth truck but man alive are the pickins slim

My buddy picked this up for $800 2 months ago in Norcal. I believe it’s a 31? He’s had tons of offers since picking it up.
image000000.jpeg

-
Back