Assault LA AND Mag intake?!

-

PeaceNGrease

Mopar Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed or not,
But I came across an intake on eBag that is identical in appearance to the Edelbrock RPM AirGap intakes.
But here's the catch,
These intakes supposedly fit BOTH the LA and Mag small blocks for $179.99 brand new in box?!
The company is "Assault" because I called and asked the brand.
Has anyone used the intake?
Good? bad?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111543971794&alt=web

The Ford boys are swearin by the Assault small block Ford version. They say it's real good.

Looks like the standard issue Chinesium to me.

Mine worked ok but the accessories fitment sucks and I won't buy another.

There was a discussion on another thread of one or more of the chinese intakes having an improper angle on the bolt flange surface.

I asked if it could be verified if all of the different brands had that issue or if it was only one or two, and to specify the brands...

Apparently that killed the thread :(

I did not know that, I think its a valid question,
But considering the prices of the real Eddy RPM AirGap, it's tempting...
Plus,
I don't know how much longer Assault will be around since their dealers are using the terms RPM AirGap" it won't take Eddy's lawyers long to jump on them...

I can tell this from FIRST HAND experience. That intake will not fit with the factory serpentine belt setup. The thermostat is not in the correct place and the AC compressor or delete pulley will not fit.

Thanks Rusty!
That's exactly what I needed to know since I'm going to run the stock serp set-up,
But maybe it'll help someone else decide(?)

I had to swap from an intake similar to that to the genuine Magnum Air Gap.

Mine took creative grinding of an ac accessory bracket to fit but then I decided I wanted factory belt routing fit no ac and that solved it. Since I'd like reinstall ac, The intakes gotta go.

-Sorry guys, I have to go with the said "Go with the American product....OR BUST" and thats prolly what the damned Chinpar part will do, BUST or NOT work at all!

Similar price?!
Where are you guys getting brand new Eddy RPM AirGap intakes FOR MAGS for $179.99?!?!?!!

I'm not necassarily "anti-edelbrock" but you guys DO know that edelbrock is NOT 100% American made right?
I think a certain % of they're products are packaged HERE (with some parts being made elsewhere (overseas)) but I think they can get away with it because a % is packaged/handled/some parts are made in the US, but it's damn sure not 100%.
Just be aware.
My plan all along was a real rpm air gap, but given the price of a real rpm AirGap for a magnum, hey figured I'd ask because $179.99 is cheap.

Is the assault the same as a pro comp ?, I have a pro comp on an la motor that I was going to swap on a magnum, it also has dual mounting bolts , I thought the edelbrock rpm airgap has a bypass hose problem for the magnum motors, I am also going to run factory serpentine , now what, m1?

Bypass hose problem? On the Eddy rpm AirGap?
I didn't know that.
I'd like to know more about it, is it fixable?
Not sure if procomp and assault are associated?
Do the look very similar?

I ran an M1 dual plane for a long time on my MP magnum crate and it ran great(it came on it). I swapped to a Eddy RPM Air Gap and can't really tell if there's any difference in performance but it still goes crazy good.
The bypass hose issue isn't terrible and can be easily remedied with a slight hose trim and twist. Kind of a ***** to get on but no kinks.

The bypass hose issue they are talking about is only if you are using the old la style timing cover and water pump. Still not really a problem because you can modify your by pass hose to fit. In your case I think you said you'll be using serpentine belts so I assume you'll be using the magnum style timing cover and water pump so this shouldn't be an issue for you. Clear as mud?

The bypass hose issue they are talking about is only if you are using the old la style timing cover and water pump. Still not really a problem because you can modify your by pass hose to fit. In your case I think you said you'll be using serpentine belts so I assume you'll be using the magnum style timing cover and water pump so this shouldn't be an issue for you. Clear as mud?

Crystal clear actually, thanks!
I'm using the entire mag set-up;
Serp set-up, water pump, cover, etc etc
So that's a relief to know since I've been wanting the RPM AirGap from the get-go.

I had to trim my by-pass hose on my Edel. Magnum intake with standard front end Magnum serpentine set up. The trim was minimal. The hose make was from Auto Zone. So it is more possible that the hose was the issue.

The issue I had with the Edel. Intake is that the heater core hose was placed under the A/C pump and under the stock serpentine bracket. It was ether deleTe the heater core hose or drill and tap the intake. I drilled and tapped one of the two temp sending units on the intake. Then just plugged the hose spot on the intake. Reinstalled the stock bracket no problem. The A/C pump will now mount on the engine no problem.

The cost was a drill and tap as well as a plug. Not really a big deal but a in foreseen needed mod that should not have been. What was Edelbrock thinking? IDK!

Similar price?!
Where are you guys getting brand new Eddy RPM AirGap intakes FOR MAGS for $179.99?!?!?!!

I'm not necassarily "anti-edelbrock" but you guys DO know that edelbrock is NOT 100% American made right?
I think a certain % of they're products are packaged HERE (with some parts being made elsewhere (overseas)) but I think they can get away with it because a % is packaged/handled/some parts are made in the US, but it's damn sure not 100%.
Just be aware.
My plan all along was a real rpm air gap, but given the price of a real rpm AirGap for a magnum, hey figured I'd ask because $179.99 is cheap.

Edelbrock intakes are made HERE..other parts maybe made elsewhere..

And that "chinese" ripofff intake is cheap for a reason:violent1::violent1:

The last 318 2 barrel intake I took off had no fewer than SIX places to thread in the heater hose nipple, all but one plugged.

I'd still like to know which different knock off manufacturers (and Eddy, for that matter) have correct versus incorrect bolt flange angles.

That's the Crosswind. Same deal. I personally tried and now avoid them. If the savings is worth your efforts to gamble it fits, make it fit, or replace it due to other issues (my problem was poor casting & porosity in addition to poor machining) then go for it and tell us how it works for you.

I try and buy USA when possible. I bought an Eddy airgap and it turned out the carb mount holes were not drilled properly from the factory. Throttle blades hit the center divider. Found this out after I had installed it on the motor.
Summit did send me a another one and it was good. I now bolt on a carb and check the throttle movement before mounting any intake on an engine.

That's the Crosswind. Same deal. I personally tried and now avoid them. If the savings is worth your efforts to gamble it fits, make it fit, or replace it due to other issues (my problem was poor casting & porosity in addition to poor machining) then go for it and tell us how it works for you.

No sir.
I've been planning on the actual Edel AirGap RPM from jump street, but I thought there were only 3 GOOD places that made aftermarket msgnum intakes (M1, Eddy and Hughes) so I was surprised to come across a cheaper one and figured I'd ask.
I've heard to avoid Crosswind intakes and I'm not familiar with Procomps.
I'm not bashing Eddy....well, maybe I am, but I'm just saying be aware not to foolishly fall into the belief they are 100% made/assembled/packaged in the US.

No sir.
I've been planning on the actual Edel AirGap RPM from jump street, but I thought there were only 3 GOOD places that made aftermarket msgnum intakes (M1, Eddy and Hughes) so I was surprised to come across a cheaper one and figured I'd ask.
I've heard to avoid Crosswind intakes and I'm not familiar with Procomps.
I'm not bashing Eddy....well, maybe I am, but I'm just saying be aware not to foolishly fall into the belief they are 100% made/assembled/packaged in the US.

Their intakes are........................

-
Back