At the end of my rope with this1

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Show me a radiator and shroud combo in a pre-73,aluminum WP A-body with clutch fan and a hot smallblock that works without having to reinvent the wheel....PLEASE?

NO electric fans!
NO $1200 crap!
NO custom shrouds!
NO Champion radiators!
NO fabricating ANYTHING...drill a few holes,fine...
Just two part numbers that fit together and don't hit anything!

Sorry,but I've dug and dug,and can't find a simple answer!

Not sure what you are after.......

How does 11.78 @ 118mph with the original cooling system sound?

My car never overheated and I will be using the same 40 year old system when I put the engine back in.

68, 340, Formula S, AC car, so it has heavy duty cooling.

Original Radiator
Original Shroud
NAPA brand AC water pump
Mopar 5 blade clutch fan (Only non stock item in my cooling system)

shrould- $, junkyard, or make your own. Rad, get a 3 core from local rad shop. Get all that crap out of the engine water passages.

I have a rebuilt original Mopar 1966 2 core radiator and a 4 blade fan cooling my built 340, 4.10 gears and a 4-speed, revs all day long and likes rush hour traffic on hot days, temp never goes above 180 :glasses7: I was running a stock shroud, took it off and it never made a difference, I also have a Flow Kooler water pump.

my old 340 would not get over 190 at the race track or the street went 7.
40 in the 1/8 mile..back then i had a c body radiator and stock shroud ..never a problem..

I don't have the original radiator or shroud,I've tried three 22" radiators,Ready rad pn unkown off the top of my head,Spectra CU526,and 1 champion EC374 that won't fit the 22" shroud I have p/n 3869837
....I have a Dodge truck rad (4140645)and shroud (4089574) that fit together and fit the car,I can recore and use,but would have to rebend the auxillary trans cooler lines I bent for a 22" Rad.(10" OC vs, 14" OC) and redrill both the mount brackets on the rad. AND my core support.

I don't have $500+ to drop on this,just looking to see if it can be accomplished in a simple manner,with a tried and true Rad./Shroud combo without hitting the hood or cutting my core support.

Just hoping somebody has something not too exotic they can attest to running well in a similar year car with a hot smallblock.

What small block are you having problems keeping cool ?
And what temp is the engine running ?
Water/coolant travels everywhere it should, But if it is not it will get hot regardless of the radiator, I had a 360 that gave me fits till I found dirt dobber nests plugging the passage ways

What small block are you having problems keeping cool ? 410ci stroker,10.1:1 static CR,Comp XE285HL cam
And what temp is the engine running ?235
Water/coolant travels everywhere it should,
yes,timing is probably off,but still want to run a 26" and shroud if at all possible,Texas gets HOT!

But if it is not it will get hot regardless of the radiator, I had a 360 that gave me fits till I found dirt dobber nests plugging the passage ways
everything is clear

xxxx

Go aluminum 2 core so air will pass threw it, add a coolant helper, Heck ! I have seen alcohol in radiators before, not safe but it works

Bolting the radiator and shroud combo from a later model isn't re inventing the wheel.
You should open the core support to take full advantage of a wider radiator.
73 up A-body 26 inch, 85 Fifth Ave, many others are a fairly simple bolt in.

I don't have the original radiator or shroud,I've tried three 22" radiators,Ready rad pn unkown off the top of my head,Spectra CU526,and 1 champion EC374 that won't fit the 22" shroud I have p/n 3869837
....I have a Dodge truck rad (4140645)and shroud (4089574) that fit together and fit the car,I can recore and use,but would have to rebend the auxillary trans cooler lines I bent for a 22" Rad.(10" OC vs, 14" OC) and redrill both the mount brackets on the rad. AND my core support.

I don't have $500+ to drop on this,just looking to see if it can be accomplished in a simple manner,with a tried and true Rad./Shroud combo without hitting the hood or cutting my core support.

Just hoping somebody has something not too exotic they can attest to running well in a similar year car with a hot smallblock.
After trying 3-5 rads,I don,t think thats your cooling problem.Have you tried a new water pump,thermostat?If yes,then your water passages could be blocked.JMO

it's really not that hard to make an excellent looking, durable shroud ...
http://www.the-rumbler.com/fanshroud-1.html

that being said... with my old '68 dart i sold a long time ago... i used to visit junkyards. i first got the biggest mopar radiator i could find (came out of a valiant with A/C) then i kept trying shrouds/fans/clutches from different mopars until i was happy.

so if you have local junkyards that is the cheapest route for "bolt in and go" stuff.

you might even find a dodge pickup or van with a small block that has a fan/clutch/shroud/radiator all together.

Seen a few rebuilt 360's that always ran hot. Was due to thin cylinders from boring more than .030 over. Just a thought.

can barely see it and ill get better pics tonight, but here is a 68 cuda, 318, aluminum water pump, and an afco aluminum radiator, with the mopar viscous fan package. i dont have a shroud, never did...

IMG_2516-1.jpg

73 duster, 318. 1984 chrysler lebaron 26" 2 core radiator (30$),shroud (10$), 7 blade clutch fan (5$), 195* thermostat (5$). direct bolt in.my fan is 1 1/2" away from the radiator. i can let this car run in 90* heat ,standing still ,and with a full tank of gas, i would run out before it would ever get over 210* .just a thought.

So far the only one I have run was a 22" Ready Rad,no shroud with a five blade viscious fan and clutch from a Diplomat.Unfortunantely when I had the car brought to me from another state somebody crushed the bottom tank on that radiator jacking it up wrong.I've only taken the car on one shakedown run of about 10 miles and it got to 235*.Most likely the timing is not quite right....but anyway I thought I would upgrade since I had to replace it anyway.Now I am having trouble finding anything that will fit and let me run a shroud.They just recently shortened the Champion EC374 by about an inch so it cleared the hood but my Dodge truck shroud wouldn't fit,I bought a smaller dia. 7 blade fan blade and was just gonna run the Spectra with a 22" shroud but turns out the shroud won't fit that radiator.I do have the 26" I pulled out of my 85 truck and an extra shroud mentioned above,and so far that is the strongest contender,but I am hoping to find something where I don't have to redo the trans lines I already made for my plate aux. coooler or drill my core support.Not sure if a 73 and up 26" will fit,from what I am hearing the later A's had a deeper core support,not totally confirmed,but I do know I have a max of 23 5/8" from the bottom of my core support to the hood.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions,if somebody has a later a-body 26 and/or something from another application and shroud they could give me part numbers and radiator measurements on that would go a long way,height,bracket width,mounting holes,trans lines,etc. Most info on the net doesn't give me the overall height,just core dimensions.

I would really like to run a 26" with a shroud if possible,22" with shroud if not.

put a good timing light on that thing and check it out...came you see the water moving in the radi. with the cap off and hot?????also a rich cond. (carb will do it to want it)

I already pulled it,thought I was putting a new one in two weeks ago.It was a brand new radiator.Fuel mix could be rich,too.

I'm pretty sure any good radiator and shroud will cool it,those issues I can deal with,but I gotta get one in there to begin with.

I wasn't replacing the radiator because of the cooling issues,just wanted to upgrade since it was damaged anyway.

-
Back