At What Point is a Solid Cam Better Than a Hydraulic Cam??

-
I have never had an engine on the dyno with a solid lifter cam, and after testing was done thought to myself.......
“Boy, this motor would have been better with a hydraulic cam”.

On the other hand, I can’t say the opposite is true.
I’m usually left wanting more when the engine has a hyd cam.

Speaking of lifters I ordered some Howard’s EDM solids a few weeks ago and they actually showed up…

Comments.
In terms of wiping FT lifters/lobes, there is no benefit switching to a sol lifter. This assumes the same brand of lifter is used. The problems are in the metallurgy of the lifter &/or the machining/accuracy of the lifter base that contacts the lobe. It can be just as bad for each type.

Switching from a HFT to a SFT & how to approximate the duration change. It depends on the lash amount. For a tight lash cam, you add 8*. For a wide lash like some of the MP cams that had 028/032 lash, you add 15*.
Wiping lobes is these days mostly an oil issue since the severe reduction of the ZDDP component. Lifter type has no relevance, proper oil and breakin are the issues along with shitty metallurgy and QC.

I have used solids in everything of mine for the last almost forty years without issue, the problem with solids and the general public is maintenance , look how many people just drive there cars until they are junk because of no maintenance. I’ve always wondered why the hp 440,383 and 340s didn’t have solids from the factory.

I have used solids in everything of mine for the last almost forty years without issue, the problem with solids and the general public is maintenance , look how many people just drive there cars until they are junk because of no maintenance. I’ve always wondered why the hp 440,383 and 340s didn’t have solids from the factory.

You know the answer to that. Cheaper and simpler. Max wedges had them. 273's had them. HP Hemi's from back in the 50's to the 60's. Even /6's had them into the 70's.

It is not the oil, never was. There is still enough Zn/Ph in the oil to do the job. A little known fact is that the Zn/Ph gets 'used up', one of the reasons for regular oil changes. You don't see cams/lobes wiping out at the end of the oil change period because of reduced Zn/Ph.

Nothing like a sound of a sewing machine. You know they are adjusted correctly. Just a little quieter with a solid roller once warm. Love it.
Reminds me of the valve train in my Ironhead....a pissed off sewing machine... Yes! Love It!

-
Back