Atomic EFI on Slant 6

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I'm about to remove the MSD Atomic EFI system off my 440 and switch back to a carb. Since I already have everything needed to run the EFI system I'm playing with the idea of putting it on my 70 Dart with a 225 slant. I can't find much or any info on the Atomic EFI being run on a slant. Does anyone have any experience?

Follow up question, should I run the TBI on the 2 barrel MP aluminum intake using a 4 into 2 barrel adapter or go ahead and sell the 2 barrel intake buy a 4 barrel intake? Would there even be a noticeable difference in power or mileage between the two with a basically stock setup?

My goal is mileage and reliability.

The thing you need to realize is that if the injectors are not overly small or large, the airflow of the TB is not nearly as important as with a carb. That is because the EFI does not depend on a through-the-TB "vacuum signal" as does a carb. I'd say "that for now" it will be fine "adapted." You may or may not want to lock out 2 of the barrels and just use 2 barrels and 2 injectors.

I know nothing about Atomic software, have you looked if the software can be set up on a six?

What are you doing for ignition trigger?

The thing you need to realize is that if the injectors are not overly small or large, the airflow of the TB is not nearly as important as with a carb. That is because the EFI does not depend on a through-the-TB "vacuum signal" as does a carb. I'd say "that for now" it will be fine "adapted." You may or may not want to lock out 2 of the barrels and just use 2 barrels and 2 injectors.

I know nothing about Atomic software, have you looked if the software can be set up on a six?

What are you doing for ignition trigger?

It's stock ignition as of now but I do have a MSD 6 box I might end up installing. I'll probably contack MSD next and see what they recommend. They sell a 2 barrel system as well so my guess is they'll recommend I buy it.

I bet it would work just fine. Set the atomic up with the lowest initial settings and let it learn from there.

Taint but one way to find out!

It's stock ignition as of now but I do have a MSD 6 box I might end up installing. I'll probably contack MSD next and see what they recommend. They sell a 2 barrel system as well so my guess is they'll recommend I buy it.

What I meant I guess is "what are your options" for triggering the EFI? Points? Mopar breakerless dist? Would you build a crank trigger?

What I meant I guess is "what are your options" for triggering the EFI? Points? Mopar breakerless dist? Would you build a crank trigger?
It has mopar electronic ignition currently and I have the MSD 6AL box on stand by. The Atomic EFI will work with either as all it needs is an RPM signal.

I don't know why you aren't bolting it up right now!!
Well I didn’t want to do anything with “consulting the council” here so to speak. I figured if no one else had done it there might be a reason. I’ll post up my results when I get it thrown on there. Might be awhile as I’m headed out of town for a few weeks.

How many injectors for the TBI?

Can you run it with half the injectors?

Pfffft. Just put a super 6 intake and carb onto it and call it good

I’ll post an update in a few months when I get it all together and let you all know how it went.

W
I’ll post an update in a few months when I get it all together and let you all know how it went.
What else do you have laying around off of a volare? I have one of those too. I need to get my azz going on it, I have it down to a bare shell on a home made rotisserie. Been stagnant for way too long now. Had $$ for it but no time, got hurt (bad) and lost the best paying job I ever had as a result, then all kinds of time and no money. Finally caught up from that mess, got a little money now, and a little bit of time that I could be working on it..... Never been a fan of body work, that's where I'm at with it, but clearly not enough money to send it off to have done/ so it's up to me

W

What else do you have laying around off of a volare? I have one of those too. I need to get my azz going on it, I have it down to a bare shell on a home made rotisserie. Been stagnant for way too long now. Had $$ for it but no time, got hurt (bad) and lost the best paying job I ever had as a result, then all kinds of time and no money. Finally caught up from that mess, got a little money now, and a little bit of time that I could be working on it..... Never been a fan of body work, that's where I'm at with it, but clearly not enough money to send it off to have done/ so it's up to me

I bought a 78 station wagon that I bought for the super six set up and the head. It got towed after I pulled the parts and it wasn’t worth the fees to get it out of the yard. If you want to pay the fees I’ll give you the title for free. If it’s still there that is. Been a couple months. Located in Yuma, AZ.

Too far away. Wouldn't be worth it to go out there from Chicago- ish.

Many 1978 Volare slant-six had brackets for a Sanden compressor, with daughter bracket for a Saginaw power steering pump. I grabbed those at Pick N' Pull. See the post on slant AC options. A bit close to the battery in an early-A, so waiting for batteries to get thinner. Re the EFI, does the Atomic use standard MPFI injectors as many current TBI systems do? If so, you might swap to smaller injectors.

-
Back