Attention slant 6 racer's ????

-

godfatherofchry

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
my son came home and showed me his class project wicth was a main body for a holley Domanator out of a piece of aluminum.and It is pretty I wish I could get pictures to load to show you a pic.any ways he ask me about having to find a project for him and his team mate..and I segjested doing a slant 6 head and maybe an intake to go with it and I seaid the intake wasn't that inportent that it could be made out of sheet metal if need be.but would be beter as a top end combo.the first one will be sold for the collage and the second is for the two of them.wicth im sure he will end up with..and will be abule to have a copy of the program or cd I geuss that's what you call it.I told him that could make him a rich man some day:)prayer:) if he could sell them I was wondering If that's something that could or would sell Im sure it will be dinoed on the computer befor being built for max flow ##s and tested on the real deal after.this will be a 1 1/2 yr project starting the second term this yr full school yr next.if so I will get bisy looking for the old guy that raced them on dirt that had one well over 400ci.so any one noing a man with the last name of (Roawl or rowe) not shour the speeling.. in the chambersburg and or Gettysburg PA.area..not sure of where he lived other than lower PA, and raced at Winchester speedway in VA,back in the late 70s and 80s.with a 57 ply fury.I would appreciate you letting me know,thanks for reading I think this would make for some nasty running 6 bangers!!!!!........Artie

reading it was a tad hard artie but how about a hemi head for the /6?
never gave it a thut I was so excited about what he was telling me!.Oya a HEMI would be better yet thanks for the Idea Im sure he will like it cuz that's all he talks..I can't believe no one else has chimed in on this ?..........thanks Bob.and sorry about the reading I was excited the spell check wasn't working and was hoping to see a lot more input on this in the morning.owell im sure they will?.......Artie

Hemi head will require a crossflow, and a crossflow is going to require a fenderwell exit header as your going to need room around the dizzy and oil pump area.

Chry I caught your saying a 400inch slant, I have to call BS as even with a 4.5" stroke (.375 bigger than stock) and a insane sleeved block for a chevy 305 piston (3.710 if I recall) you come up with almost 300ci, no more bore will fit as the sleeves are already siamesed and maybe a little more stroke could be added depending on rod big end.

anyway if he plans on trying to sell them he needs to just make a stock head out of aluminum, with the potential for a "max wedge" port, catch my drift? this way a mild slant would benefit with off the shelf parts, but up to a full port monster could be fed. also he is going to need to get a good block and have it CNC blue printed to correct bore angle and centerlines, from there he can cheat the valves around to get the biggest valves (~1.8/~1.5) and make it to notch for the exhaust, that should make the greatest clearance for the intake and have room between the seats.

next I would go a really thick deck BUT a closed kidney shaped chamber. I would probably for a 49cc stock deck (roughly 9.1:1 for long rod motor) and 8.75 stock 225 rod motor)

playing with valve angle would be cool but finding a off the shelf rocker gear might be hard, that valve would be getting farther away meaning you would have to move the shaft centerline and have more clearance issues on the lifter valley area OR find a very long tip rocker and go from there.

only other thing would be to get rid of the drool tubes BUT still have lifter access and use the early 13/16 plugs. stock flange rail for int/exh and valve cover.

may think of more

Reinforce the manifold bolt holes as they will want to pull out, like the stock heads make 4 or so bosses for a 3/8 bolt to create a brace to the intake to stabilize.

I think the factory casting - but like Kid mentioned - the intake and exhaust need to have the capacity to be enlarged vertically but retain the factory manifold mounting points. Basically - it has to use available manifolding in my opinion to have any market viability but it aslo has to be able to be tweaked to feed the larger displacements as needed. I'd start by looking at the largest intake valve you can fit without hitting the bore of the block, fill the rest of it up with exh valve size. Give it a heart shaped closed chamber design as small as you can, and enough meat around the deck to stay rigid under boost. Keep the valve angles, keep the rocker design.
The hardest part will be keeping the cooling jackets decent enough to provide even cooling accross the chambers. Not sure on a billet head how they'ye machine inside there...

I think the factory casting - but like Kid mentioned - the intake and exhaust need to have the capacity to be enlarged vertically but retain the factory manifold mounting points. Basically - it has to use available manifolding in my opinion to have any market viability but it aslo has to be able to be tweaked to feed the larger displacements as needed. I'd start by looking at the largest intake valve you can fit without hitting the bore of the block, fill the rest of it up with exh valve size. Give it a heart shaped closed chamber design as small as you can, and enough meat around the deck to stay rigid under boost. Keep the valve angles, keep the rocker design.
The hardest part will be keeping the cooling jackets decent enough to provide even cooling accross the chambers. Not sure on a billet head how they'ye machine inside there...

my guess is a two piece deal, you would machine all the water jacket, then install the cap that has spring seats and V/C rail, tig it up and pressure check.

I was assuming it was 400ci.from what he was saying about getting caught with it because the limit in that class was 400ci.I do know that it had the block and head dubble O ringed and had a copper tube that ran down the length of the motor that was forever leaking water and had a bigger oil line going to the head or from it.never did figure out what was for.or the water either.but I do know that that was the strongest run and the best sounding 6cly.I have ever heard bar none...and as far as the head Im sure you could make it a two piece head and use an O ring or silicone to hold the water or a solid one for racing only,,what's your thut on that and i'm sore you could use say a HEMI style rocker??he will be home at 330 hopefully he will have good news on it.fingers crossed.........

I was assuming it was 400ci.from what he was saying about getting caught with it because the limit in that class was 400ci.I do know that it had the block and head dubble O ringed and had a copper tube that ran down the length of the motor that was forever leaking water and had a bigger oil line going to the head or from it.never did figure out what was for.or the water either.but I do know that that was the strongest run and the best sounding 6cly.I have ever heard bar none...and as far as the head Im sure you could make it a two piece head and use an O ring or silicone to hold the water or a solid one for racing only,,what's your thut on that and i'm sore you could use say a HEMI style rocker??he will be home at 330 hopefully he will have good news on it.fingers crossed.........

a hemi rocker may work but its going to throw your pushrod angle all to hell... you need one with no "offset", but snout if you were playing with valve angle or shaft centerline

I don't think a solid head will be marketable. there's not drag racing alcohol class big enough to make it worth while and that's the only place it would work. It has to be a wet head. Hemi valvetrain is expensive, anique, and fragile and would mandate seperate side manifolding and there's not other support for that. I'd rather see dual overhead cams than a hemi setup but again - we're talking slant six. It's a small market that prides itself on low budget with little aftermarket development and support. So you have to be able to use existing manifolding. Nobody's going to deevlop anything for it to mass produce. That would be similar to working on a new set of Ford flathead cylinder heads. No money in it so no money behind it.

I don't think a solid head will be marketable. there's not drag racing alcohol class big enough to make it worth while and that's the only place it would work. It has to be a wet head. Hemi valvetrain is expensive, anique, and fragile and would mandate seperate side manifolding and there's not other support for that. I'd rather see dual overhead cams than a hemi setup but again - we're talking slant six. It's a small market that prides itself on low budget with little aftermarket development and support. So you have to be able to use existing manifolding. Nobody's going to deevlop anything for it to mass produce. That would be similar to working on a new set of Ford flathead cylinder heads. No money in it so no money behind it.

there is actually a bit of Fuel and alky guys, just like to hid under rocks...

maybe cant the valves to get bigger ones in the stock type head and use a chevy rocker arms.

thats kinda what i was getting at with playing with valve angle, i wonder though if you would start running into issues with the small bore and big valves and collision.

the teacher wasn't there today but he past it to the I will say second in command and he is excted about it.so I will know Monday for sure..Soory for the waeght.........Artie

sorry for not getting back to everyone,,we got all the spec's this week from 805 moparkid ,to do A 3D image of the head,crank & rod...and will start on it this week,,and I haven't a clue how long that will take and when he gets it done It will be sent to the kid to be checked over for approval along with what its wt, will be and everything else there is to know,,,maybe I'LL be able to hear another slant twisting 7500:cheers:will i'm still brething my Question is does any one know the wt.of any of this stuff I would like to know???im sure its in all the Letcher he has sent but I haven't read it and I have never fooled around with any of them.as far as raceing goes!!not saying I didn't admire the ones that did!!thanks for any help on this.........Artie

ps,and thanks kid hopfuly well get one screming!!SAY aaaahhh 12,5!!!eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaa DAMMIT BOY!!!OO ya and with a 100 lb.fly wheel,,ssshhhooo DOGEY

-
Back