Auto To 4 Speed Swap Thread! A full write up including prices!

-
Just to let you know,The driveshaft I have came out of my 67 barracuda with a 4sp.It was custom made for the car.I had a 7 1/4 rear that blew up when I was racing a mustang.I put a 8 3/4 rear in and the driveshaft was to long so I had one made. The reason I will part with it I put a T56 in the car and had to get a new one made.So it's yours if you want it.If you have a 8 3/4 rear it will bult right in.Also have a hurst shifter I will have to look but I yhink is with linkage. Mark
When you are done measure the drive shaft.I got one for a A body 4sp you can check out.Living in NJ oyu my be able to come and pick it up.It will be cheap. Mark

So I picked up 2 trannys. One cast iron a833od. And one small aluminum a833od.
Also came With a overdrive bell. (now I have 2 bells one overdrive and one 4.354)

Will look into what fork I will need...

Total cost for both trannies and the bell $225

Thanks from a member on here.

I did a parts list too when I did mine. Had way more parts on it, and a much higher price tag. All depends on if you want new or used parts.

Here is the two trannys I got from a member on here... They are both A833ODs one is cast iron the other aluminum.

I also got A LA seris overdrive bell from him and it has the clutch fork boot and ball stud still on it. So it should bolt up with no modifactions! as long as the regular a833 clutch fork is the same.

Attachments

• a833OD.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 581
  • A833ODbell.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 585
UPDATE.

So far I have been collecting parts and have everything except the small parts. Like pilot bearing, flywheel bolts, bell bolts and other little things i will probally need.

Total Cost to Date $$ $1029. (this is with a spare trans and now two bellhousing and two ball studs)

PS . got the trannys off a member on here. Not sure if he wants to be named but a really nice guy. Sold me both trans for $200 and the overdrive bell for $25 which i didnt have on me and let me take it with me and i have to paypal him. really stand up guy!

great! pulled the inspection covers when I bought em and both look damn near new... no rust.. all gears good, no pitting, from what i can see brass looks good, shifts threw all gears etc etc

Doing the Demon soon. I think I have all the parts ( Thanks Rocky Js for the Z Bar) Will see and will keep watching this thread.

Thanks Guys and thanks for the bearing part number ill go buy that after the holiday.

Well I recieved all the parts... They are rusty... So i will be sandblasting and painting them black.. will post pics when thats done. I returned the stock clutch kit and decided to buy the mcloed for $185... (an extra $50 bucks was worth it for a better clutch to handle more power)

I just priced out a complete 4 speed swap from passon performance. $4500. All brand news parts

If it was my daily driver like you mentioned it was, I'd invest in a diaphragm clutch like CF II. So easy on your left leg in traffic and will definitely handle the power.

Ya passon was $4500... Right now I'm around $1100... And these are good parts not that cheap metal linkages they sell at brewers...

I did a 4 speed swap on my Duster about 2 years ago. It was the first A body swap that I had done. I went from a 904 to an A833 from a 69 Swinger. The driveshaft not only had the right yoke it was the right length. I had bought most of the swap stuff at Spring Fling in Van Nuys Ca years ago. I had to buy some parts new from Brewers, which BTW they were unbelievably helpful and I didn't hesitate to buy from them when I needed something. I bought the shifter, boot, clutch fork, and handle from them. I forget how much I had in it but cost got kinda out of control. Here are some pics.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=81690

I suppose I should have started a thread about the restoration of the car. But this thread has some good pics.

Attachments

• DSC03605.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC03614.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC03620.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC03621.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 513
great! pulled the inspection covers when I bought em and both look damn near new... no rust.. all gears good, no pitting, from what i can see brass looks good, shifts threw all gears etc etc

Looks are deceiving I would still buy an overhaul kit from Brewers and go through the one you decide to use. Especially the bearings

You haven't heard of the linkages have the threaded part breaking off... There just butt welded... That's really the only thing I wouldn't buy from brewers

I went from a 904 to an A-833 with the same driveshaft, just swapped the yoke to one from a 727. That was 7 years ago, and its the perfect length.

I would also disagree on Brewer's selling bad stuff. I've been to their shop as well.

Did the crank have to be drilled for the 4 speed pilot bearing?

What horsepower range are you running or planning to run?

Never over 400hp... And I had to buy the conversion bearing.. It's somewhere in the link... Someone had a part number for it... They had it in stock...

Did the crank have to be drilled for the 4 speed pilot bearing?

I drilled mine. I have a chromoly bushing that I tap into the crank with a hole in the middle that is the correct size to run the drill through to drill the crank straight. Once I am done drilling I pull the steel bushing out with a pilot bearing puller and install a factory pilot bushing. Cast cranks drill like wood! Steel cranks take more patients.

-
Back