Automatic Idle Adjustment One Person HOW?

-

340inabbody

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So how does one person adjust idle on a car with and automatic transmission in gear?

I assume Ill need the same approach for checking the transmission fluid in gear as well….

Thanks in advance

I’m saying never EVER do this advice I’m about to give.

If you follow my advice you need your head examined.

If you listen to me you are taking your life in your own hands and the lives of anyone around.

Again, I’m saying to you DO NOT DO THIS.

So this is what I do.

I get a tire chock out and block the rear tires so the car can’t go backwards.

Put in the emergency brake as hard as you can. Then you can jump out and do your tuning.

It’s how I’ve done it since high school. I know it’s unsafe like a **** but when you are single handed you do what you have to do.

I always use reverse because if something goes sideways the car will go backwards and not run you over, hence the wheel chocks on the back tires.

If it does get loose it won’t run you over and kill you but it might get loose and back up and injure or kill someone else.

Or crash your car into something or another car.

This procedure is NOT SAFE. I suggest you do not do it.

If you are stuck working by yourself it may be your only option.

And again, I say DO NOT DO IT. ITS NOT SAFE.

If you chose to do it I accept no responsibility for any property damage, injuries or deaths because I said do NOT do it.

I use reverse also and park my truck right behind whatever I’m tuning. Stick a tire or some wood between em and butt em up bumper to bumper.

They also have tools you can purchase, Adjustable Brake pedal depressor tool. or make your own.

Find a friend, or neighbor or someone. Id rather brave a social encounter than run myself over :rofl:

That said i’ve done the e brake and pray method many times and been fine. But these kinds of things creep up on you when you least expect it.

OK, I'll bite
remind me why I should care about idle-speed in gear, with an automatic?
I mean;
> If it hesitates on take off, you just open the throttle a hair, to get some Transfer fuel, and drive
> if it wants to stall as you come to a stop, you just put it into Park, hop out, change the curb-idle a hair, and get back in, and drive.
> if it begins to pull too hard atta stop, you just retard the timing about 3 degrees, and Drive.
> If it clangs the sunshell on engagement, you probably got too much idle-advance, and/or too much throttle-opening.
>same if it wants to run-on after you shut the key off.
> if it's hard to start when cold; then probably she's not getting enough Transfer fuel, on account of the Idle-Timing is too much
>If it's hard to start when hot; then probably, she's getting too much Transfer fuel.
> when it goes;
click,vroom-vroom, when up to temp, with a mini-starter,
AND has no tip-in sag on drive-away,
AND does not clang or bang the trans when going into gear,
THEN, you got it just right no matter what the timing light says; Congratulations.
This, for a streeter with a cam up to 292/292/108, the biggest SBM cam I have tuned.
For a streeter with a modified engine, there is no magic fixed amount of Idle Advance. You just set the T-slots where they need to be, and when you get it right, it will idle, even at 5 measely degrees, and will drive away with no tip-in sag. The first time the engine actually cares about Ignition Timing is at or near it's stall-speed. and it can usually be all-in by 3500. Usually.

BTW-1
if the exhaust burns your eyes, the engine is wanting some Idle-Air bypass. Increasing the throttle-opening will not cure this, cuz that action will simultaneously increase the Transfer fuel.
BTW-2
IMHO, the best way to get bypass air is to drill a hole in each Primary throttle-plate. Thus, as you tip-in the throttles, the holes progressively stop flowing.
I put the holes inbetween the Transfers and the Idle discharge ports, and a good quarter inch back from the edge. In this way that air will be mixed with the fuel, as it passes by.
When this is done, the idle-speed will go up, and the ONLY way to reduce it, is by reducing the Idle-Timing.
Another way to introduce bypass air, is through the already existing, PCV circuit. This has the side benefit of being easily back-tracked, and fine-tuned. But, it never shuts off..... so you may need to service your breather more often, or, you can plumb the system to the clean-air side of your air-filter housing, as the factory used to do..
BTW-3
as for the size of the holes; this will depend principally, on the size of the cam. The bigger the holes, the higher the idle-speed will go, and the more the timing will need to be retarded. This is thus, not a contest. You only make the two holes just big enough to not have the stinky eye-burning exhaust.
I start at 1/16, and stop at 7/32. I went to 1/8 in the learning process, with the 292 cam, which was too much. I had to solder the holes shut, move over, and start again, Do not try to reuse soldered up holes, the solder will just end up falling out. In my case, the solder bit was never found nor any damage done
which is why I choose solder.
Good luck!

I never use reverse and there's a good reason. Even pulled up as hard as you can, it will never hold as well as it will in drive. The reason for this is because the the front brake shoe on the rear brakes is shorter than the rear. That's by design. Drum brakes are designed to hold pulling forward, not backward. Some vehicles almost won't hold at all in reverse.

So my advice is, pull the parking brake up hard. Get wheel chocks on both the front and rear of the rear tires. Kick um under there real tight. Drop it in DRIVE, because that's the direction drum brakes are designed to stop. One last thing. Take notice of exactly where the coil wire is. In case something gets out of hand, be prepared to snatch the coil wire the whole time you have it running and in gear. in fact, I normally have one hand ON the coil wire while I make my adjustments with the other.

I used to pull up to a pole.

Now I just set the idle in P or N and see what it is in D.
Might take a couple tries, but removes the need to find a convenient pole.

I put the rearend up on jack stands, tires an inch or so off the ground, and set the emergency brake (of course). Probably not the perfect solution, but I figure it's gotta rock itself off there to go anyplace. I also do this when I'm starting the car from underhood, just in case I've accidentally left it in gear.

Very safe, VERY easy. SET IT IN NEUTRAL. Set the idle up, set the mixture, be CERTAIN it is properly set AKA fully warm, mixture correct and TIMING correct.

THEN GET INTO THE DRIVER'S SEAT and put it into drive, and see where it lands. If it is too high or too low, just turn the screw a little bit

First time I did this was about 1966

I used to pull up to a pole.

Now I just set the idle in P or N and see what it is in D.
Might take a couple tries, but removes the need to find a convenient pole.
I used a pole a few times back in the day. Lived on a dead-end street. You can pull up to a parked car and place an old tire in-between for a cushion.

This is Why I say Why they; as in them, invented the 1/8 of a turn screw driver. Get one, works every time. I store it in the rear fenderwell with the expandable foam an hog wire.

:welcome:

IMG_20200408_102608.jpg

Very safe, VERY easy. SET IT IN NEUTRAL. Set the idle up, set the mixture, be CERTAIN it is properly set AKA fully warm, mixture correct and TIMING correct.

THEN GET INTO THE DRIVER'S SEAT and put it into drive, and see where it lands. If it is too high or too low, just turn the screw a little bit

Yeah this is how Ive done it as well but was wondering if anyone had any direct method I didn’t know about. Thanks

This sounds like the safest to me ,,,,,he’s known this since 66,,,,almost 60 years .

Lol ,,,,,but the funny thing is that no one knows how to adjust a parking brake ?
If the park brake won’t hold a car in gear at idle,,,,its useless .

Tommy

This sounds like the safest to me ,,,,,he’s known this since 66,,,,almost 60 years .

Lol ,,,,,but the funny thing is that no one knows how to adjust a parking brake ?
If the park brake won’t hold a car in gear at idle,,,,its useless .

Tommy
Thats another thread lol

I just set the idle for what it's supposed to be in Park/Neutral and then put the car in gear and look at the RPMs.

I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding what's going on here. Why would you need to risk crashing your car or injuring yourself to save 5 seconds?

I just set the idle for what it's supposed to be in Park/Neutral and then put the car in gear and look at the RPMs.

I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding what's going on here. Why would you need to risk crashing your car or injuring yourself to save 5 seconds?
Because the correct "by the book" procedure to adjust idle and mixture screws on an auto is idling and in gear. ....but I cannot disagree it's safer in neutral or park.

Two words: Got Trees?

Seriously, anytime I've had to do something like this I've always (well, maybe not always) just used a big ol' tree.

Of course none of my rides ever had a front bumper that was worth worrying about, but A Guy could make-up a cushion out of a couple of old tires....

the correct "by the book" procedure to adjust idle and mixture screws on an auto is idling and in gear.
No. Maybe there's a book out there somewhere that says this, but every time Chrysler talked about it, or Carter, or Holley, or Bendix, they said to use Neutral. See for yourself:

Screen Shot 2024-07-15 at 14.45.36.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-07-15 at 14.45.05.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-07-15 at 14.53.27.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-07-15 at 14.50.19.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-07-15 at 14.48.04.jpg

Thanks for the correction Dan! Looks like we all just like the danger of trying to do everything the hard way lol. Funny how old wives tails make it into automotive tuning.

I think Ill start wearing a bubbushka….

-
Back