automatic to 4-speed

-

Chris67Cuda

67 Cuda
Reaction score
just wondering what would be needed to do the conversion if i have a donor car that is 4 speed. I'm thinking the ball on the frame will have to welded on new car? is it worth it or just keep it automatic? 69 cuda fastback:afro:

I would love a 4spd car...all mine are auto....is the cuda all original matching #'s car...you know where I am going w/ this right...

no its not numbers matching which is why I would even think about doing this. I have a 67 fastback four speed but rusted pretty bad so. This car is something I would never sell and I pretty much want it for fun to cruise around in. In no way is it going to be just a car that looks good it will be driven over the summer no doubt about that

Hopefully, you have a better experience than I've had with mine.
I changed my Dart Sport from an automatic to a four speed this winter. It has been one big headache from the beginning.
I finally thought it was done a couple of weeks ago but began having a problem with the clutch not disengaging.
So, today when I was under the car I pulled the inspection cover off the bellhousing and found the source of the problem; the pressure plate is defective.
It's a Hayes street/strip unit and was brand new. One of the three fingers (it's a B&B) is not coming all the way back to the throw out bearing. There is about 5/8" of space. The other two fingers are about 1/16" from the t/o bearing. Unfortunately, the pressure plate is about a month past the 90 day warranty, but Summit gave me a great deal on another setup.
My one piece of advice is to gather all the parts needed before the swap, then tackle it all at once. That way your car won't be off the road as long as if you were to buy a piece here and there and put them on as you get them.

Go 4 speed! Heck, if I can convert my auto 68 FB to 4 speed AND right hand drive, with no easy access to components (we didnt have A833 boxes in Australian A body mopars) I think you can handle it easily enough.

no its not numbers matching which is why I would even think about doing this. I have a 67 fastback four speed but rusted pretty bad so. This car is something I would never sell and I pretty much want it for fun to cruise around in. In no way is it going to be just a car that looks good it will be driven over the summer no doubt about that

I would go ahead and do it then.......and buy a new clutch set up, and make sure you read the clutch ....should read flywheel side.....you get my point

I have converted six mopars to 4 speed. I wouldn't hesitate one second to do another. The car will be more enjoyable and there is nothing like slammin' gears in your favorite Mopar.

The thing I am worried about is precisely locating the pivot on the frame. is there markings even on an automatic where it shouldbe welded?

The thing I am worried about is precisely locating the pivot on the frame. is there markings even on an automatic where it shouldbe welded?

Are you sure that is welded....their might be a big nut on the inside of fender well...it seems like I have seen that their on others cars

Are you sure that is welded....their might be a big nut on the inside of fender well...it seems like I have seen that their on others cars

Its welded on E-body's for sure, pretty sure its the same for the A body's. I'm in the process of getting all the parts to swap my Challenger over to a 4 speed. The pivot and the floor hump are the only parts that require any cutting/welding, the rest is just having all the parts. This is a list of stuff I've made up for the Challenger, modified it a bit for the A-body, but its mostly all the same stuff. Not sure its 100% complete, but its most of what you'll need.

A833
bellhousing (SB or BB)
pistol grip (or other shifter handle)
shift box (hurst)
A body 4 speed rods
pedal set
z-bar bracket
driveshaft ( not sure about A-bodies, I know the E-body length changes)
flywheel
z-bar (A body specific, SB/BB specific too)
clutch
clutch spring
4 speed hump
4 speed carpet
pedal bracket
z bar bushings
clutch adjustor rod
clutch fork
clutch fork boot
clutch fork bracket
shift boot & trim ring
flywheel bolts
A-body shift plate
inspection cover
clutch rod
pilot bearing

NO!! It is not welded on an A body. If you look on the inside of the drivers side fender well you will see a hole. That's where the ball goes, there is a support piece that gets welded to the outside frame area that the ball stud passes through. You can reuse the one off of your doner car, if not Brewers 4 speed has them.

Hopefully, you have a better experience than I've had with mine.
I changed my Dart Sport from an automatic to a four speed this winter. It has been one big headache from the beginning.
I finally thought it was done a couple of weeks ago but began having a problem with the clutch not disengaging.
So, today when I was under the car I pulled the inspection cover off the bellhousing and found the source of the problem; the pressure plate is defective.
It's a Hayes street/strip unit and was brand new. One of the three fingers (it's a B&B) is not coming all the way back to the throw out bearing. There is about 5/8" of space. The other two fingers are about 1/16" from the t/o bearing. Unfortunately, the pressure plate is about a month past the 90 day warranty, but Summit gave me a great deal on another setup.
My one piece of advice is to gather all the parts needed before the swap, then tackle it all at once. That way your car won't be off the road as long as if you were to buy a piece here and there and put them on as you get them.

I've seen to many problems with Hayes pressure plates.... they suck! Get a diaphragm type. I'm using a 10.95" (11") Mcleod clutch and pressure plate and it is smooth but grab hard! You have to remove the over center spring so might want to do that before installing the petals. I would recommend Brewers since I've had such good luck using them.

NO!! It is not welded on an A body. If you look on the inside of the drivers side fender well you will see a hole. That's where the ball goes, there is a support piece that gets welded to the outside frame area that the ball stud passes through. You can reuse the one off of your doner car, if not Brewers 4 speed has them.

Exactly!

My car is a factory automatic car and it has the clutch bracket on it. Kind of weird. Assembly line mistake I guess.

ClutchBracket.jpg

I believe all cars came with the bracket.

It was my understanding only the manual trans cars were supposed to get the bracket. Usually when you convert to a 4 speed you have to get that bracket and weld it on because the auto trans cars didn't get one from the factory.

I would love to do a 4 speed conversion eventually to my car

I converted my car and all I bought was a transmission, shields, bellhousing, pedals, and some wilwood aftermarket parts! :-D

I made a hydraulic clutch setup for it. With a little ingenuity and patience it works very well. In fact, I wish my used transmission worked as well as the clutch setup!

Here's a few pics:
IM003206.jpg

IM003208.jpg

Mine did`nt, I fabbed my own.

Well that answers that question... LOL!

I converted my car and all I bought was a transmission, shields, bellhousing, pedals, and some wilwood aftermarket parts! :-D

I made a hydraulic clutch setup for it. With a little ingenuity and patience it works very well. In fact, I wish my used transmission worked as well as the clutch setup!

Here's a few pics:

I was wanting to do mine with a hydraulic but didn't have the patience.

My car is a factory automatic car and it has the clutch bracket on it. Kind of weird. Assembly line mistake I guess.

The bracket is also installed at an odd angle compared to all the cars I've ever seen. May it have been installed post factory? They usually have a pretty good lean with the top of the bracket closer to the front than the bottom.

I think you misunderstood. The bracket is what gets welded. The pivot (the ball stud) itself doesn't get welded on anything, A-body or E-body, because it is a wearing part with bushings etc. I was referring, if vaguely, to the pivot bracket, which gets welded to the frame.

Sorry for the confusion!

yeah i meant the bracket. I am going to try to get the car up in the air today so i can check whats there i just got it running yesterday has been sitting for years.

I believe all cars came with the bracket.
All cars came with the hole... Auto cars had a plastic plug in the hole with NO bracket. Dang...I thought I had a really good reference pic of a plug in an unmolested Demon parts car I have. I can't find it.

-
Back