Bad A$$ Compressor!

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I was rooting around the 'net doing some compressor replacement/upgrade research when I stumbled on this. I don't know who makes it but they say it's made in the USA, it has a 6 1/4" bore and a 4" stroke, requires a 20 to 30hp motor to drive it, can deliver over 101 CFM at 175 psi with a 30hp motor and has a shipping weight of 580 lbs.!

It's actually beautiful from a mechanical standpoint.

that looks like the( Curtuis) I have not shour of that spelling Ill go look to be shour if it is yes its bad ***

Site show a price? probably 3K just for the pump. Mine took a crap and the nearest "35 miles away" compressor repair/sales held it for a week, only then to inform me they stopped repairing "off the street compressors" cause of customer complaint of price too high? They repaired it 4 years earlier,$175.00 bill. was willing to dish this out again, it was doing the same thing and they treated me like this:thebirdm: so I took it back home and cleaned every valve reassemble and she`s back to normal, We need a smilie knockin on wood8) Good ole American mid 70s job. BTW that is a sweet pump, definetily a 3 phase deal though.

hmmmm, a 392 hemi should run that easily at idle...8)

Or a Cummins diesle. :)

Site show a price? probably 3K just for the pump. Mine took a crap and the nearest "35 miles away" compressor repair/sales held it for a week, only then to inform me they stopped repairing "off the street compressors" cause of customer complaint of price too high? They repaired it 4 years earlier,$175.00 bill. was willing to dish this out again, it was doing the same thing and they treated me like this:thebirdm: so I took it back home and cleaned every valve reassemble and she`s back to normal, We need a smilie knockin on wood8) Good ole American mid 70s job. BTW that is a sweet pump, definetily a 3 phase deal though.

Yeah, they showed a price..... 5700+ bucks. :shock: I've never even seen a 30hp electric motor. They'd have put another tranformer in my garage, lol. 3 phase 408v maybe?

Good to hear you fixed it yourself. They're just engines without the fuel and spark anyway. :read2: That looks like a pretty darn good sized compressor you have there. Gotta love the old stuff. I wonder if porting the head would have any effect on the CFM rating? 8)

nice compressor!!!!!!!!!!

If I were stupid rich I'd have one just to put on display. :cheers:

ramcharger, I mine is vary similar to that allot smaller tho mine has a 5hp.motor on it. if its not a Curtis its a kick off of it.....Artie

Armer dial corp plant near Aurora Ill. had a train car that had four big air plain engine on it that ran all there compressed air systems in the plant. Look wild seeing it, I forgot how many cylinders each, But each engine was over 8' tall and said to run off propane, naturel gas and gasoline if it had to, three cylinders making compression 4 cylinders running is what I was told . But this was over 40 years ago.
heck they could have be 16' tall from where I seen them from

ramcharger, I mine is vary similar to that allot smaller tho mine has a 5hp.motor on it. if its not a Curtis its a kick off of it.....Artie

Thanks Artie!

what i thought

V-Rod? 8)

Looks like a Devilibiss compressor (check spelling) Joe. 2 low pressure pistons feeding 1 high pressure.

I saw it on Grainger and all they said was "Approved manufacturer, made in USA". It's a four cylinder with two big pistons and two small pistons.

Armer dial corp plant near Aurora Ill. had a train car that had four big air plain engine on it that ran all there compressed air systems in the plant. Look wild seeing it, I forgot how many cylinders each, But each engine was over 8' tall and said to run off propane, naturel gas and gasoline if it had to, three cylinders making compression 4 cylinders running is what I was told . But this was over 40 years ago.
heck they could have be 16' tall from where I seen them from

Yikes! That's some serious stuff Mike!

When I worked for Hyster as a road mechanic I went to a lead smelting plant and they had a whopper of a compressor too. It was a 2 lung and it took a 100 hp electric motor to run it. Not sure of the bore and stroke but the cylinders were about 3 foot o.d. and 2 foot long. Can't say for sure but it didn't look like it was turning over 1000 rpm.

I loved that job cause I got to go to factories and see a lot of cool stuff like that. I also saw 1 of 3 air plane wing presses that Hitler built. They had hydraulic rams 2 foot in diameter and 24 foot long.

Not a compressor, but it moves some air!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfYnByuTQ0"]YouTube- Air Raid Siren with Robbie and Don![/ame]

-
Back