balancing a flywheel

-

lauger99

Reaction score
Does anyone know how i can balance a flywheel that came off of an internally balanced engine. I heard that mopar performance use to sell a template and drill bit, but i cannot find one.

The only MP kit (that I know of anyways) is for balancing torque converters with externally balanced engines.

Item-------------------------------------Part #-------------------------List price
RWD Torque Converter------------P412041-----------------------$56.00
Balance Weight and
Positioning Template Package

I don't see anything for balancing a flywheel that was originally for internal balance. :scratch:

damn it was just in one of the magazines i read too
but for what its worth years ago it bought the tork convertor kit and welded it on my flywheel (360) and it still works today fine
i'll look to see if i can find the article

Yes the torque converter i have done already and it worked fine. But i now have everything to install a crash box in my 71 scamp and the 11" flywheel has the drill marks from being balanced but the 10 1/2" needs to be balanced. In and old parts catolage i found a kit that ma mopar used to sell that was a huge drill bit and a template (just like the converter setup < by the way you can get the converter balance kit from mancini racing). However i can't find this kit anywhere.
:scratch:

lauger99 said:
In and old parts catolage i found a kit that ma mopar used to sell that was a huge drill bit and a template

In your catalog, what is the part number for that kit? I'll check Chrysler's computer, and see if it is still available. :burnout:

the book has no part #s its just a promo catalog with discriptions of stuff that they offered. My uncle ( who has all of these books ) said that shortly after they started offering this they started making new flywheels again and then discontiued this balance kit. but i'll start looking through more of the parts books to see if i can find a #. Thanks.

well i've looked at every book that i can find and no part # so i guess i need to find a flywheel thanks anyway guys.

In the Mopar Performance manuals (engine, circle track, etc) they have the template and instructions as to how to do that. I guess you can buy a universal weight kit and use a good drill bit.

I think he's looking to machine a flywheel, not a flex plate.

I bought a 360 flywheel from Chrysler for $230. You *might* get lucky and find one in a wrecking yard. The backside will have huge circular reliefs cut into it compared to a 273-318-340 which is smooth.

long time ago i had a 360 in a challenger and couldnt find a 360 flywheel. ended up cutting the weights off a 360 torque converter and fastening them to the back side of the flywheel. worked fine and seemed to be balanced fine. sounds hokey but it works

I have the diagram for where and what size holes need to be drilled into the flywheel to balance it..Send me an email and I will send it to you

-
Back