Ball joints

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Just started to think about lower ball joints.MOOG 100 DOLLARS or 50 dollars econo grade,a big difference in price.Whats your thoughts on the 2 is there a bid difference in how there made.Thanks.

My experience has been that the biggest difference is in how long they last. Our roads here in southern Indiana can get pretty rough, especially on the back roads. I figured if I went with good materials (in this case, suspension components), I will never have to mess with them again.

I bought moog they say they are made in the USA . So far so good!

ball joints 002.jpg

One quick comment. If you are planning to make any changes to your suspension, take that into consideration before ordering. Only reason I say that is I bought a full rebuild kit to get my car back on the road. Now I am planning to do the swap from small bolt pattern to big bolt pattern and will have to replace some of my brand new suspension components (specifically the lower ball joints).

Better to think ahead to what you MIGHT be doing, so you don't end up re-purchasing components like I will end up doing.

Your all right,no seance taking a chance.Moog it is,so fare I have the uppers,and the lower control arm bushing.Moog.

Just started to think about lower ball joints.MOOG 100 DOLLARS or 50 dollars econo grade,a big difference in price.Whats your thoughts on the 2 is there a bid difference in how there made.Thanks.
The last few sets of Mood lower ball joints I bought AND then returned, fell apart before they were installed. They are now considered junk in my experience.

I found another source for quality ball joints from these folks. They referred me to a vendor in Texas and I bought my last set from them.

XRF Chassis | Automotive and Heavy Duty Chassis Parts | Canada and Unites States

Moog 1 (Large).JPG

The last few sets of Mood lower ball joints I bought AND then returned, fell apart before they were installed. They are now considered junk in my experience.

I found another source for quality ball joints from these folks. They referred me to a vendor in Texas and I bought my last set from them.

XRF Chassis | Automotive and Heavy Duty Chassis Parts | Canada and Unites States

View attachment 1715126504
They fell apart,no **** Moog.Always makes you wonder,if someone does the switch a roue does Moog stamp there name on there parts.

I had two sets like this, and another set wear out in 3-4000 miles. Yes, they were fully greased too.

View attachment 1715126504
I got 2 full sets of XRF front end parts. one set for each barracuda. Everything upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, idler and pitman arms too.

i've seen a lot of issues with moog over the last few years on various forums.. just got get the better napa ones and be done..

when i bought the XRF ones for jamies car i had trouble finding them.. seemed like they were finished making them and you had to find old stock.. have seen thoings on other forums saying there was nothing special about those either but i figured a few guys here liked them so i'd give them a shot.. still in thecbox, been too lazy to install them..lool

Another vote here for XRF. Really good quality parts! Use the same part #s as Moog for your search on their website.

the lower ball joints can have a lot of play and still be fine.The full weight of the front end
will keep the ball tight in the socket.I think the factory service manual allows 70 thou clearance
or more.You may be putting new parts in that are inferior Snake.Check them first.
The uppers are different and need to be tight!

the lower ball joints can have a lot of play and still be fine.The full weight of the front end
will keep the ball tight in the socket.I think the factory service manual allows 70 thou clearance
or more.You may be putting new parts in that are inferior Snake.Check them first.
The uppers are different and need to be tight!
Motor is out ir3333 so that wont work,just figured nows the time to replace everything.

just thinking if your lower ball joints are fine why put in new ones that may fail?
what does having the motor out have to do with checking the ball joints?
..only takes a minute to check.

just thinking if your lower ball joints are fine why put in new ones that may fail?
what does having the motor out have to do with checking the ball joints?
..only takes a minute to check.
too my honest i dont know how to check them.

The main cause of failure is that the ball pivot of the ball joints themselves become loose....
If the pivot is still nice and securely tight --- spins in your hand -- but you have to move it yourself, it is okay.
If the thing is free spinning ---it is worn out and done, and must be replaced.....
That is the "normal " "rule "............

too my honest i dont know how to check them.

Jack up on side of the front of the car until one of the front tires is just off the ground. Grab a long prybar and a small block of wood to use as a fulcrum.

Slide the end of the pry under the tire and place the fulcrum under the prybar a few inches back from the tire.

Now, pry the tire upwards until you can hear and see the play in the lower ball joint. If they are worn bad, you will quickly see and hear the free play.

I've had Mood lower ball joints wear out completely in as little as 3-4 thousand miles. They are junk.

that's why i would leave the original pieces if the are within spec
...Some replacements don't seem to be good quality.

-
Back