filter
blue oyster cult
fog hat
jan and dean
posion
warrent
def leapperd 2 times
kiss

OK, you'll see how old I am, but the strangest concert I ever saw was at the Altoona, PA racetrack (horses). An unknown band by the name of ZZ Top was the first warm up band. Everyone in the crowd was looking at each other as if to say, "Are we really high, or are these farmer-looking guys from Texas rocking our faces off?" Second warm up band was another unknown by the name of Earth, Wind and Fire. Same stunned crowd reaction. The headliners: Uriah Heep. Meh. People started leaving about half way through their set. Totally out-played.

saw all the '80s hair bands...can't bother making a list, but you know who they are.

Def Lep (Hysteria tour-in the round, in your face) was one of the best-great to see Rick Allen play.

DLR (Eat'em and Smile tour) was great too- the show was cancelled and rescheduled several times, so the crowd was fairly small-nobody thought it would go on lol-but Diamond Dave rocked the place. The band- including Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan-was tight and it was a great show.

Also saw a guy I know (Paul Laine- no, you've never heard of him lol) open for Bryan Adams at a huge concert at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary. It was cool talking to him outside the gates as we waited in line and he walked up carrying his guitar case in his hand with some spandex-clad hottie following along:toothy10:

which reminds me- the best thing about all those concerts? All the hot girls in spandex.

early eighties list:
UFO with Donnie Iris
Kansas with Loverboy
Ozzy Osbourne(Blizzard of Oz, Randy Rhoades) with Def Leppard (with Pete Willis)
ZZ Top with 38 Special
Judas Priest with Savoy Brown
AC-DC with Red Rider
Iron Butterfly, Mountain, Savoy Brown and Mark Farner legends of Rock tour
AC-DC with Fastway
Rush with Rory Gallagher
Judas Priest at the WLS Rockfest with a bunch of Chicago area Garage and bar Bands.
Blue Oyster Cult with Duke Jupiter
Ozzy Osbourne (Jake E Lee) with Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil)
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble with a Spandex wearin bar band called "Matrix" that was booed
Pat Travers Band
George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers
FogHat with Head East and Black Oak Arkansas

Lets see,
America
38 Special w/ a Van-Zant. that show sucked balls.
Hank Williams Jr. I'm not a fan, but had a blast.
Edgar Winter
Yes. Way to many people smoking pot around me to enjoy the show. I was in the Army at the time and couldn't burn a piss test.
Charlie Daniels Band
David Gilmore
Roger Waters (would have liked to seen both at the same time but...)
Pink Floyd
Police
Cheap Trick
Joan Jett and the Black Hearts

oh and I almost forgot, I saw Carlene Carter when she was first getting started at a USO show. Johnny Cash and June Carter-Cash came out and did a song with her. That was cool as hell.
The best part is most of these, I saw for free while I was in the Army.
The ones that were a freebie and I refused to go to was:
Kiss (Not the original line-up and I think they suck anyway)
Firehouse
Warrant
Europe
I was told Warrant sucked pretty bad, they were drunk or stoned the whole show. Would start a a song and half way through the lead singer would start "Cherry Pie". Apparently he did it several times.

Of the 1000's of shows I have been to, there are only two that I didn't go to that I truly will never forgive myself for missing...Johnny Cash at the Power Center in Ann Arbor and Beau Jocque at the Frog Island festival in Ypsilanti. I called my brother about the Johnny Cash concert and he couldn't go so I said.."well, we'll catch him next time". That was in the early 80's and he never came back to town. My band had an engagement the night Beau Jocque played Frog Island, my wife and mother-in-law went. He was dead a couple days later from a massive heart attack. Same with Stevie Ray, about a week after he played Pine Knob he was killed. I was so glad I went to see him when I did. Worst show ever was Bob Seger...my brother hung me with two $30.00 seats (back when that was a LOT for tickets) and even 3 keyboard players couldn't make him sound good. Swore off big venue concerts for a long time after that one. Plus I saw Buckwheat Zydeco the next night at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor for $10.00 and he blew the doors off the place, and Bob Segers $30.00 fiasco!!! Thanks for the flashbacks though!!! I still do about 30 concerts a year, mostly Bluegrass bands nowadays!!! Geof

Off the top of my head......lol its an odd collection
The Ramones..... every time they came to Hammerjacks from 86 on
The Grateful Dead..... way too many times to count, followed them around for a few years
Pantera
Gwar
Dropkick Murphys
Hank III......... x4 my all time favorite!!!!!!
Reverend Horton Heat
Rolling Stones
GnR
Bobby Brown.....lol I don't know why
Bob Dylan
Phish
George Clinton & P-Funk
Ramones, Tony Bennett, Soul Asylum, PJ Harvey, Primus, Courtney Love, General Public, Bush, Mike Watt, Better Than Ezra, Juliana Hatfield, and Shudder to Think at HFStival
Violent Femmes
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Indigo Girls
The Unseen
Sick of it All
I know there were a bunch more........ guess I shoulda stayed sober for one or two

Pink Floyd, The Who, Ten Years After, Uriah Heep, In the Festhall in Frankfurt, Germany between 1972-73. man I'm old

OK, you'll see how old I am, but the strangest concert I ever saw was at the Altoona, PA racetrack (horses). An unknown band by the name of ZZ Top was the first warm up band. Everyone in the crowd was looking at each other as if to say, "Are we really high, or are these farmer-looking guys from Texas rocking our faces off?" Second warm up band was another unknown by the name of Earth, Wind and Fire. Same stunned crowd reaction. The headliners: Uriah Heep. Meh. People started leaving about half way through their set. Totally out-played.

Wow, somebody older than me

Chuck Berry (still wearing stripes) opening for Tom Petty,......Strange, very strange.

Jeff Healey (seriously the best stage presence, though he is/was blind as a bat) was the best small venue, on THE stage Jimmy burned his git. in Monterey in 69.

Do people go to concerts anymore?

LCjeff

My wife and I saw Lynard Skynard in 75 Lakeland, Fla They opened for Neil Young and Stephen Stills and even though Stills -Young were my heroes for the crowd Skynard tore the house DOWN there was nothing left when they were done,Kevin.

I've been seeing shows since 1976. It would be easier to name the people I haven't seen!

Last night at Jones Beach

Rush_724410004-vi.jpg

Seats & sound sucked, but it was Rush.... school was in session!

Been a while since I have been to A concert as I am a old fart too...

J-geils twice, they always did the New Years show in Portland ME till they got big.
Aerosmith 1 and a third.. Second time Steven passed out after 3 songs, was not a good scene among us influenced folks...

Moody Blues, 3 times in out door shows. If I get a chance I will see them again. Great band.

The Who at Jack Murphy stadium in San Diego, All I can say is WOW! What a show. Wife fell asleep at that one, too much wine...

Clapton, he needs no explanation.

Most recently Crosby-Nash, Stephen Stills is joining them this summer and I cannot wait!

I was 15 or 16 when I went to my first concert. It was Unloco, Taproot, Chevelle and Disturbed. Chevelle and Disturbed were pretty good, the other two were alright.

Korn sounded great as well
Seen a little bit of Stone Sour
Deftones
Saving Abel
Papa Roach
Buck Cherry
Avenged Sevenfold - great show!
Metallica was awsome
Saw Lamb of God only becuase they opened for Metallica, didn't care for them.

Went to see Yes and Peter Frampton but couldn't see them. Only heard them if that counts. They sounded very good.

Bad Religion
NoFX
Rancid
Billy Talent
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Anti Flag
Rise Against
Floater
Reel Big Fish
Probably others I can't remember.

This thread got me thinking of an Aerosmith concert I attended in the late 70`s in Norfolk, Va. at the Scope. We had watched the back-up band play their hour of music (which was quite forgettable) so the roadies came on between acts and did the gear swap in advance of Aerosmith taking the stage. During the break a lot of people started coming down to the floor and crowding the stage. So much so that the plywood barricade that created a safe zone between the crowd and stage had collapsed. People were pushing and shoving and it was getting so crazy that nearly a dozen Norfolk police took the stage, lining up from one side to the other facing the crowd. This seemed to piss off the crowd even more. Aerosmith wasn`t coming on and just as it seemed a riot was about to ensue my friend Donnie threw an empty Miller pony bottle at the stage that miraculously found the exact center of one of the policemans forehead, breaking and knocking his hat off. This staggered the cop and a couple of his fellow policeman ushered him off the stage followed by the balance of the cops and some stage hands. Knowing things were getting out of hand, within a minute of this mass exodus the lights went down and Aerosmith took the stage.

Another quick story: on entering the Capitol Center for a Led Zeppelin concert, a cop stops my friend Brian at the ticket gate. He reaches right into Brian`s front pocket and pulls out about a 1/4 ounce of pot. He shows it to Brian and says "you can`t bring this in", then throws the weed in the trashcan. We looked at each other like "OH SH*T, BUSTED", but then he has the ticket taker rip the stubs on our tickets and send us in to the show. (?) :-D We were freakin, we thought for sure he was busted. Ah, those were the days!

-
Back