Barn Find!!!! Well not really......

-

FDNY340

Reaction score
Here she is. Stored for almost 35 years untouched, my wife's car from high school. We've been married for 32 years and life has just gotten in the way. Through all the ups and downs, I just couldn't think about getting rid of it. Retired now and gonna give it a shot. What would YOU do if it were yours???

IMG_8233.JPG

IMG_8221.JPG

IMG_8223.JPG

IMG_8232.JPG

IMG_8229.JPG

IMG_8225.JPG

IMG_8226.JPG

IMG_8230.JPG

IMG_8231.JPG

Make it a total drag car/very hot street car. Paint it the most obnoxious color of yellow you can find (curious yellow is good) and paint on the quarters "SHE'S A KEEPER".

Sell it to me in expensive-ly.
I’m in CT and will let you visit her when ever you want.
Syleng1

First of all, Congratulations on the retirement! :thumbsup:

Secondly, do you have an engine for it? If so, if you can stand NOT installing something and just driving the heck out of it after all this time, well then, you're a better man that I am, 'cuz if it were mine...after all these years...I'd slap the first V8 I could lay my hands on and drive it into the ground, just as it is!

35 years! (shaking my head here...)

Whatever you do, have fun with it! After all, you're retired now!

Make it a total drag car/very hot street car. Paint it the most obnoxious color of yellow you can find (curious yellow is good) and paint on the quarters "SHE'S A KEEPER".
It actually was yellow from the factory as you can probably see! Thanks!!

First of all, Congratulations on the retirement! :thumbsup:

Secondly, do you have an engine for it? If so, if you can stand NOT installing something and just driving the heck out of it after all this time, well then, you're a better man that I am, 'cuz if it were mine...after all these years...I'd slap the first V8 I could lay my hands on and drive it into the ground, just as it is!

35 years! (shaking my head here...)

Whatever you do, have fun with it! After all, you're retired now!
Thank You!!! I do have most of a 340...
Was either gonna find the rest of what I need or convert it to newer power so SHE can drive it into the ground.

IF it were a stick, I'd say paint it white and VANISHING POINT! But it's not so re-paint it black cause it looks awsome! AND put the 340 you have in after you rebuild it, and she can drive the he'll out of it every day, don't put something too rowdy in or it will never be a summer daily driver as it should be....my two cents!

Rebuild the 340 and install a custom Racer Brown cam to get what you want. Factory 340 exhaust, a good trans, R/T HD suspension.

Last edited:
The sky is the limit depending on budget. It's a great car for resto no matter how far you want to take it. Guessing it has a 7.25 rear being a 70' 318 car.

Sleeper, keep it ratty and have a lotta engine!
IMG_0615.jpeg
IMG_0709.jpeg
IMG_0865.jpeg

Does your wife still have an emotional attachment to it? If she does, fix it to where it will be fun for her to drive and very dependable (fuel injection) so she doesn't get discouraged and hate it. A Gen 3 Hemi swap is pretty easy in an E body. Maybe consider that along with a 518 overdrive transmission. It will fit without hacking up the floor pan in an E body. Fix the body and make everything work......especially the AC. Good luck with it, and congrats on retirement!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dylan brought back a far worse Challenger might give you some inspiration.

Get it running and drive it.
Power trains are everywhere, find one and drive.

I'm in agreement with most of the others here, get it on the road and enjoy it like it was meant to be enjoyed. If you go the rotisserie restoration route it will be extremely expensive, and you may not want to drive it after spending a whole lot of money on it, which leads back to it sitting neglected. Get the 340 together, you can put fuel injection on it for ease of drivability and reliability, or as some have suggested, drop in a Gen 3 Hemi with an overdrive transmission. It depends mostly on your budget, your abilities and skills, and what you ultimately want out of it. Guessing it was born with a 318?
Just my .02.

Make it something either one of you can take out and drive anytime you like.
Get the engine bay cleaned and tidied up, and get a motor and trans in there. If you want to spend the bucks to piece together a correct 340 for it, make that your long term. Short term (if it was me) that thing would have a 5.9 Magnum and a 46RE in it by next weekend (well, maybe a couple of weeks... :)). Factory EFI and electronics. Easy install and very driver-friendly. Like others have said get it on the road and make it safe, tackle the rest as you feel inclined. Enjoy!

Here she is. Stored for almost 35 years untouched, my wife's car from high school. We've been married for 32 years and life has just gotten in the way. Through all the ups and downs, I just couldn't think about getting rid of it. Retired now and gonna give it a shot. What would YOU do if it were yours???

View attachment 1716286503

View attachment 1716286504

View attachment 1716286505

View attachment 1716286506

View attachment 1716286507

View attachment 1716286508

View attachment 1716286509

View attachment 1716286511

View attachment 1716286512
That's awesome. Get it going and road worthy, but don't try to tackle everything at once.

I've got a factory big block Challenger & a factory 340 Challenger... Honestly the 340 is a better driver... But... It has a 518 O/D trans & 4.30 gears... So it scoots outta the hole & goes down the highway great... 4.30 with O/D acts like 2.94's.... If I were to do it again I'd probably use 3.91's...

Currently I'm helping a friend do a Gen III Hemi swap which I'm sure will be awesome but I think the 340 is my preferred choice...

Your wife has a Super Cool Challenger!! Congrats on your retirement!! Have Fun!!!

Oh, FY1 Bright Yellow looks great on Challengers, especially with so black accents...

Was it a late build 70?
The reason I am asking is it has a 71 slap stick.

Oh, BTW Don't toss any old parts.. That Master Cylinder for example, probably (99.9%) it's toast, but having sat for 35 years it's probably a original 171 casing & people buy cores for good $$ & spend more $$$ having them restored..

Factory Disc Brakes, A/C, Power Steering with a Saginaw pump... Two speed wipers, One Eyed Monster Dash... Rear Defog... Swapped in slap stick.. A05 Protection Group..

-
Back