Barracuda 14" tire upgrade question

-

jamesromeos

Reaction score
Have a 68 cuda with 195/55/14 tires, want to make it look a bit sportier without tire rub, love the stock wheels, any suggestions on size/brand....Thanks in advance

I ran the 245/60/14s all around on my car , still have them on the front but went to 275/60/15 on back because there just isn't any real good compound tires in 14 inch .

I have 205 17" front and 235 17" in the rear.............

Canucks what size rim and backspace are u using with those tires?

Purpled, i just bought a 68 cuda with sbp, plan on going to lbp with disc all around,how much clearance do you have on the 17 " tires,what backspace,how wide a rim,65 or 70 ? Thanks

Have a 68 cuda with 195/55/14 tires, want to make it look a bit sportier without tire rub, love the stock wheels, any suggestions on size/brand....Thanks in advance

That's a small tire. Sure its not 195/75R14 ? That would be much closer to stock size and load capacity.

Are the stock wheels on your car body colored with dog dish hubcaps or wheel covers? The width of the rim is a limitation. Stock 4.5JJ rims probably want to keep it around the equivallant of D70-14 tire. That would have been the size of the sportier tires new. On a 5.5" rim, E70.

I would start by looking at specs for 195/70-14 and 205/70-14 tires.
BFG Radial T/A are the widest selection of tire sizes, but if you hunt you can find many other options. Part of the decision will be the type of road surfaces you will be on. You may not care at all about rain, gravel, snow, or those could be important to you.

A few things to keep in mind. Change in rolling radius will require a change in the speedometer/odometer pinnion. A smaller radius will provide quicker accleration, but require more rpms to maintian any given speed. A heavier tire wheel combo will require more energy to stop, turn, and accelerate. A shorter sidewall tends to feel more responsive. Hence the 70 series vs. 75 even from the factory.

For street, the tire I'm using now is no longer available (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500) and since I'm using 6" wide aluminum rims, its no help to you. I do like 14" 70 series tires for the street just for extra sidewall to absorb some of the impact of cobblestones, potholes, and so forth.

For a specific answer to your question:
You should consider Kuhmo Solus KR21 215/70R14
That is if you have 5.5" wide wheels (a lot of 14" small bolt wheels are 4.5" wide) - these tires will fit your car and should be good general use tires.
There aren't too many choices in 14" tires today.

-
Back