Barracuda won't roll

-

Zamboni

Reaction score
Hi All
64 Barracuda. 71/4 ring gear,
I put the car on jackstands to change the pinion seal. Got the seal out but now I need to move the car before I can reassemble everything. When i put the car on the ground it wont roll forward, only backward. When I turn one of the rear wheels while on the stands, the opposite wheel turns in reverse.
The drivehaft and pinion yoke are still off. I'm learning as I go....what is happening in the rear axle that I can't roll forward?
Thanks in advance

Easy. The rear axle was never designed to work like that. The pinion has no support with the nut and pinion off, and is "falling into" the pinion, becoming a nice solid doorstop

The reason one wheel turns opposite is that you have an "open" or "single track" that is "non" limited slip or "non" suregrip axle.

Because the ring is locked, one axle is turning the other through the spider gears

So the solution is to simply replace the yoke before I move the car? I thought that was the problem since it was the only thing different than before when it rolled fine. Thanks for the reply!

Yes, replace the seal and install the yoke. Before taking off the yoke, folks usually mark the location of the nut on the pinion before removing the nut, then when you reinstall the nut, return it to the exact location it was. That way your bearing preload should be right on. I believe torque is 240 ft lbs. Best to check the field service manual to make sure though.

Here's a thread that goes over replacing seal. There are others on here too.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=191267

Yes I should have mentioned. axle pinions use a "crush sleeve" to maintain tension on the bearings. You do NOT just hammer the nut back on there!! It's an adjustment sort of like front wheel bearings, IE for "end play" type thing. Review the shop manual. You can download them, free, at MyMopar

Thanks for the great advice.
The replacement seal I have is about 1/16" larger than the pinion bore. The bore is 2 1/2" inside diameter. The new seal is 2 9/16" o.d. When I hold the seal up to the differential it's obvious it won 't just "tap in"
The seal will have to be distorted to be installed. Does this seem right? I know I ordered the right part.

Without being there, does not sound correct. Look for a number on the old seal. You should be able to interchange it. Otherwise, caliper the diameters and justify measurements against the new seal part number. SOMEWHERE, all seals have a size reference. You just have to find a parts guy who will bother to look. Some of this can be found online.

-
Back