BB valve covers

-

matthon

Reaction score
My 67 valve covers do not have the plug wire brackets on top of the covers, but on the sides on the manifold side.
In the pic below, the lines point to where my brackets are.
I have seen other 67s with the brackets in the same place as mine are, but not on anything else.
Just curious, is the placement of the bracket specific to a body style or certain years?

!BUe-S)!BWk~$(KGrHgoH-CgEjlLl1-OzBKNuq6De2w~~_1.jpg

Here is a 68, the pass. side has it on the side, the driver side has it on the top.
Is this correct? for 68 only?

8b18_3.jpg

8a26_3.jpg

Just checked a 67 "C" body servivor, it is different than the pictures. Driver side has one plug wire holder on flat part at the rear, other three wires are routed under the exhaust manifold. passenger side has a bracket above the rear two plugs that holds the plug wires about two inches away from the cover, the front two wires are routed under the manifold.

only the rear wires #8 and#7 go on the valve covers the rest go in front of heads and routed to the plugs with a holder bolted to the front bolt on the covers. if this makes sence im shour somone can xplain it better than me.

Here is another set.
Driver side has no plug wire holders, and 3 electrical wire holders.
Passenger side has 2 plug wire holders, with the one in the rear on the top, and 3 electrical wire holders.

From what I can find, a 67 BB would have 2 plug wire holders, with the rear one on top, for each valve cover.
The passenger cover would also have 3 electrical wire holders and the heater hose bracket.

!BeezG0gCGk~$(KGrHqEOKjsEryMCPPHIBK9dRPRJnQ~~_12.jpg

Um, are you replying to your own post?
I am confused.
I am only trying to find out what valve covers where used on the early BBs as there seems to be slight differences in the placement of the rear plug wire bracket, and the location of the wiring brackets.

Maybe not only different years and models where different, but maybe it depends on where the car was made?

I am not going for an all out restoration, but I am trying to find the correct pieces as I go.

FABO's help is always appreciated.

I know its a big block!!!!!!!!! the holders you have marked are for the two rear plugs if you want to wire it like the factry had it.and im not your son my dad would have known were thay went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!! :thumrigh:

The driver's side B-body HP manifold exits aft of the #7 exhaust port. On A and C-bodies, it exits between #5 & #7, thus requiring the #7 plug wire to be routed from the back, and requiring that one retainer on the top aft of the valve cover on those vehicles, but not on B-bodies.

The driver's side B-body HP manifold exits aft of the #7 exhaust port. On A and C-bodies, it exits between #5 & #7, thus requiring the #7 plug wire to be routed from the back, and requiring that one retainer on the top aft of the valve cover on those vehicles, but not on B-bodies.

Yes! That is what I am getting at-
1) The A Body 383 in the above pics has the retainer on the top of the valve cover on the driver's side, and on the intake manifold side of the valve cover on the passenger side.
2) Mine has the retainer on the intake manifold side of the valve cover on the driver and passenger cover.
3) Other cars/pics I see have a variation of the above.

It may seem like I'm being ridiculous over the placement of a plug wire retainer, but I am really interested on how the factory did things, and I also like to know for the times when people tell me, "That's incorrect."

-
Back