BCUDA IS STARTING TO TICK ME OFF

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
After all the bs ive gone through to get my barracuda ready for its first test drive. I decided to tack it to a car show thats less than a mile from my house. I figured it would be a good short drive to see how it works. I started it up the other day & noticed a noise from underneath. I figured it was the exhaust hitting some where. Nope it sounds like its coming from the flywheel area. This car has been on jack stands more than not. I really dont want to pull the trany. Im getting tired of laying on my back. I know i torqued the flywheel bolts. As for the clutch bolts i didnt torque them but i did tighten them with a breaker bar. Its been one thing after another with this thing. If it keeps it up its going to find a new home lol I checked all the engine mount bolts, the trany mount bolts. Any ideas ?

Describe the sound, or post a video with the noise present.

yea TTIs ill have to put it back up on stands check it out when you start it you can acctualy feel it
My TTi`s bumped my power box. Instead of bitching out tti, I figured I`d get new proper engine mounts, they mention this and it cured the problem, even if only an 1/8".
You can see it from up top.

If the starter is aftermarket, check for ring gear/pinion contact. Say a prayer to Allah....

A mechanic stethoscope can help pin point source of noise. If you can't tolerate project cars being a complete cluster f#ck then they might not be for you. Because every project car I do unexpected issues crop up and many times extremely difficult time consuming mysteries to resolve. So I just assume now ***** gonna be f#cked up and strategically finding root cause of issues is required. Been through it many times and eventually can get the cars to be an issue free for many years once shaken out

Went through a similar issue with my Dart. Had about 200 miles on the car since restoration. Lots of "weird" issues getting worked out and after I finally felt like I had reached "Mecca", I got ready to take it out for a nice little cruise. Started to back out of the garage and when I pushed the clutch in, out of nowhere came this rattle sound. wtf. Only happened when pushing in the clutch. Needless to say I didn't go anywhere and like you, I had to put it back on jack stands and see if I could figure out what was going on. Pulled the inspection cover off and 2 small ball bearings from my Centerforce pressure plate fell out. They're what the fingers pivot on. I was pee-ode big time. Had to pull everything back down and I too had TTI's and it was a PITA to have to unhook the exhaust to get the tranny out and pull the clutch all back apart. Probably not what's going on with you as you can "feel" something hitting, but I can appreciate your frustration. Also those ball bearing did make a bit of a knocking sound too.

Good luck to you.

Be patient. I had similar things happen on maiden start up and early flights.

My first noise was the converter bolts hitting the dust shield, sounded like the motor was coming apart! Different bolt pattern on my converter did not match the factory recess in the dust shield and hit the very top right near the crank. Remove dust shield and pound it out a bit and noise gone.

Second was my TTI headers hitting the drivers torsion bar. It would rattle when the engine idled at a certain rpm. The motor has lumpy cam so would rock pretty good at times idling. A little heat and some clearancing and problem gone. And yes I had the motor in the spot tti says with good mounts. Every car is a touch different and has its bugs to work out.

Pinpoint the sounds, jack it up yet one more time, and fix it! Get at it soon and you’ll be happy before you know it

Any ideas ?

Don't know what your setup is.
Hard to believe it's a clutch cover bolt unless one was missed while tightening and it backed out.
Maybe check at the starter pilot boss inside the bell? Some clutch covers may require a bit of clearance.

UPDATE got it up on jack stands found 1 bolt loose that bolts the clutch to the flywheel. Also the left header tube that is a 2 piece was aganst the frame. Smacked it with a hammer now its about 3/16 from the frame. Got it running and crawled under neath and coudnt see any thing. The flywheel looks to be running nice and straight. So went top side. I noticed that on the left side number 3 header tube is tight aganst the steering box. I hammered a pry bar between them hoping the tube would dent but no go. When i rev it up the engine torques to the right inwhich pulls the header tube from the steering box. I doent seam to be jumping up and down on it. Not sure if thats it or not. The noise is still there. Its kindve hard to explain but when your in the seat you feel it more than you hear it and you feel it more at an idle.

. I hammered a pry bar between them hoping the tube would dent but no go
Get some heavy rubber pad and wedge it between the points of contact, probably need silicon like a silicon hot pot mat between the header tube

I recently had a noise that was more of a "clunk" or "knock", and you would feel it. I headed straight for the trans mount. Torque lifted and dropped the trans enough to be heard.

trans mount bolts are tight mmm hot pad just might have to try that if i can get in there maybe a piece of paper lol

I know your sound is different. My trans mount failed and was ripped in half! I jacked the back of the trans up and it moved away from the mount like it wasn’t even attached.

I know it's not a quick fix but, I would pull that header and smack it some with a bfh and give it room. No quick fix. Sorry good luck

it will be a cold day before i pull the left side header off it was a pain in the a** to install

-
Back