Beer bet about 69 grilles

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
Did the cores start black and then painted argent (silver) for standard cars, or were there seperate colors for black and argent. Seems black was a much lower demand item. I do know that black should be black through and through and not painted.

Someone claims the factory painted them silver over black cores. When I see broken grilles, they look silver through and through. The notion the factory would paint them silver seems counterproductive in my opinion since black was a much lower demand....

My 69 has the original grille surrounds that are cracked. The plastic is grey. through and through. No black at all.

Is there any pics of black ones that are cracked and are black all the way through ? Seems to me that if argent was the main thing they'd they cast them all in grey then paint black.??
Luke

Steve,

What PNs do you have for the black and silver grilles? I am certain Formula S grilles are black through and through. BB-Daves NOS set is black plastic not painted, and perhaps he can chime in with the PNs as well. Hopefully the two different PNs will be enough to convince.

I have a pic to help my argument. Looks through and through argent to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 232
69 S grilles were molded black
the rest were gray plastic mold and then painted silver
I have seen 2 colors of gray,a dark and a light tone but both had the same part #s
Doug

for what it's worth....
i have a 69 original 383 4sp fastback "S" cuda and it has black plastic center grills with the common chrome surround. there's a pic of it here on FABO under 1969 Cuda 383 Formula S and 68 340 My Cuda's link.

i could probably take a drill and bore a hole through one of the grills just to check the consistency of the plastic .... but i'd rather not.
just saying....

-
Back