Belt guidance

-
I measured, my crank pulley is correct but my water pump pulley is only 6". Still, they align perfectly... I guess that means my water pump will spin a bit faster.

I ordered belts to fit, no issues. Thank you all.

Brian

I measured, my crank pulley is correct but my water pump pulley is only 6". Still, they align perfectly... I guess that means my water pump will spin a bit faster.

I ordered belts to fit, no issues. Thank you all.

Brian

why keep thay mess that you pictured earlier. you were given all the information to make it correct. do it the correct way.

I'm not sure that I understand, what mess? They are all mopar parts, fit and align properly; all I had to do was measure for non-OEM length belts.

I'm not sure that I understand, what mess? They are all mopar parts, fit and align properly; all I had to do was measure for non-OEM length belts.

they are all wrong though. chrysler spent a ton of time and money engineering the proper pulleys.. they are not the proper pulleys for what you are doing. they are a mess.

they are all wrong though. chrysler spent a ton of time and money engineering the proper pulleys.. they are not the proper pulleys for what you are doing. they are a mess.
This happens way too many times. Ppl ask for help then completely ignore the correct answers. Kim

OK, great...so the belts I have would fit MidnightSwinger's arrangement, but... I took some pics of my set and it looks like my pulleys align as I described (see pics) that is: water pump, power steering pump and front balancer pulley, and then, alternator and rear balancer pulley. So, I'll need to find a set to fit that...

View attachment 1716246319

View attachment 1716246320
I came back to this and noticed your alternator pulley is pressed on backwards.

I usually get way more receptive and helpful comments on this board. You guys really think I'm gonna lose a belt or overheat? No way. Should I also rip out my electronic ignition and go back to points... ? There are a ton of interchangeable OEM parts...gee whiz.

Sometimes one can be too sure of something. I'll give you an example, the alternator pulley is not on backwards. It was a double pulley and I cut the front one off for a fitment issue in another build. I'm out.

Sometimes one can be too sure of something. I'll give you an example, the alternator pulley is not on backwards. It was a double pulley and I cut the front one off for a fitment issue in another build. I'm out.

The alt pulley is now missing the shoulder nec for the proper puller to remove the pulley, cuz it's now pressed up against the case.
You pressed the front half of the pulley on backwards .

IMG_20231023_132605_815.jpg

IMG_20240512_155017.jpg

Last edited:
No, I didn't press the pulley on at all, I simply cut off the front of the double pulley that was on there. Am I not speaking English or something....? We seem to be caught in a do-loop of some sort.

Was it a good idea to remove the shoulder so a puller will no longer get it off? Probably not. Will it throw it off balance or ruin it? No, it works perfectly and is aligned as it should be.

You were given a tremendous amount of good info in the opening posts, particularly AJ, but you chose to ignore, and in fact argue.
There are a number of very knowledgeable and friendly folk here but every now and then there is a thread that accumulates 130+ posts that remedy nothing cuz the poster doesn't Iisten.
I have never used the "popcorn" avatar before ever, but this is gonna be one of those threads,
Good luck, sincerely.

I usually get way more receptive and helpful comments on this board.

you recieved a few very helpful comments on how to make it right. you chose not to listen and half *** it.. hey, its your car, you want to half *** it then so be it.. no sweat off my ***.

Actually, I wasn't arguing at all, I was simply questioning whether one has to go exactly-as-stock every time, when from my experience that is rarely true. I'm not ignoring the (solid) advice, in fact I thanked you all for it more than once. I may even order that water pump pulley and go that way. But I'm also not seeing how a difference of 7/8" on one pulley's circumference could be as disastrous as you're implying. I've made many such changes over the years with no harm whatsoever.

it has nothing to do with going "stock". there is a correct way to run pulleys and belts for proper results and reliability..

OK, I'll order the correct water pump pulley. Thanks again for all your help.

Just to be sure that you know - using that factory non-AC water pump pulley will realign your belt grooves for the system that is shown in post #18 - the water pump and alternator on the crank groove toward the engine and the Power steering on a belt of its own in the crank groove toward the radiator. You can then use 1970 stock belts. No the system does not have to be stock. The belts on one of my 1970 Darts with a 318 are designed to work with a retro fit Classic Auto Air AC set up which didn't fit as delivered so everything is moved around on the front of that motor! What was important was that the pulley diameters were the same as the original AC system and each belt ran the same things as the factory system. None of the pulleys used were "correct" for that motor. The end system does have to spin various things at the right speed. AC water pump pulley is smaller and therefore spins the water pump faster that the bigger non-AC pulley.

If the altered alternator pulley currently lines up with the crank groove toward the engine, changing the water pump pulley will mean that all is in the configuration as the factory had it in 1970 but then the belts are really different from the custom measurements that you found. Are you using a long straight edge to make sure the pulleys align rather than your eye?? If things are off a little bit some washers should allow you to get it perfect.

If the belt grooves are in line and the ratios are what you want, there's no reason why the set up won't work. The alternator pulley looks backwards to me, but if the groove is lined up with the other two, it should still work.

Yes, I used a straight edge and they align perfectly. Still, I've ordered the newer style water pump pulley that puts it with the alternator, rather than the power steering pump.

b

...you know they want $90 bucks for that pulley...plus shipping. All good, I've already ordered it.

One thing that can happen is if you run this up in rpm. The smaller water pump pulley can spin fast enough to cause cavitation which will erode the front cover. I have had it happen. I have the original A/C water pump pulley (small) and spin it to 6500-6800 rpm. Put an anti cavitation plate on the pump which helped. Also went with a March underdrive crank pulley. Stopped throwing belts. Yes it might overheat. The water doesn’t have enough time to shed heat in the radiator.

-
Back