bent rearend housing?

-

mismy69swinger

Reaction score
i dropped my rearend housing off at a place thats going to strip it and after i left they called me and said it looks bent to them. anyone heard of this? how could that happen?? any help is good help thanks

No but be carefull,the way the world is now they could be ripping you off.Get a second option.

Looks bent ??? Did they measure anything on a jig or just eyeball it???

This looks bent....

NissanArmada.jpg

I once had an 8 ¾ I was going to have shortened, they guy doing the work would always chuck parts into a lathe to check for trueness. Mine was bent; it could be seen as the housing spun, so yes, it can happen. If it is, I would recommend not using it.

I once had an 8 ¾ I was going to have shortened, they guy doing the work would always chuck parts into a lathe to check for trueness. Mine was bent; it could be seen as the housing spun, so yes, it can happen. If it is, I would recommend not using it.

Stroker is that a factory thing or a car crash thing.

It's not so important if the housing is some what bent, what is important is that the housing ends are in line with the carrier. This can be checked with a housing narrowing jig. Most housing are not straight, but the ends are lined up with the carrier. If it is not to bad and the ends are not in line they can be cut off and re welded with a jig for a good usable housing.

It's not so important if the housing is some what bent, what is important is that the housing ends are in line with the carrier. This can be checked with a housing narrowing jig. Most housing are not straight, but the ends are lined up with the carrier. If it is not to bad and the ends are not in line they can be cut off and re welded with a jig for a good usable housing.

^^^^What he said. Now if the axle is bent, that's a whole different story.

Yeah, get a measurement. "Looks bent" sounds totally unprofessional and suspicious. If they are not offering to SHOW you where it's bent, I would find another shop. Tell them they "look" retarded.

I,d be thankful they want you to look at it and make a decision rather than like most nowadays,just do whats paid for and give it back to you still skewed. If they brought it up they are looking out for you.

I do not know how my housing got bent, I bought it like that. It was bent enough thatg I didnt want to use it, and I got a new housing.

i guess i will go back and check it out if i dont think it looks right i will take to a rearend man bad thing is i dont know any

You would be surprised at how many 8 3/4 housings are not true! I've shortened more than a few and it is not unusual to find them out of line with a narrowing jig. The 8 3/4 housing weren't as heavy of metal as they should have been. Most of the time they get put back in service without a problem.

Housings can be straightened. It's not that difficult. If it's a hard to find housing like the A body 8.750, I would straighten it.

You would be surprised at how many 8 3/4 housings are not true! I've shortened more than a few and it is not unusual to find them out of line with a narrowing jig. The 8 3/4 housing weren't as heavy of metal as they should have been. Most of the time they get put back in service without a problem.
X2.....and if it was to bad the wheel bearings wouldnt last long..and it sounds like they have been there for a wail..Artie

If it was still complete you could chalk the tires then scribe the tires then start measuring in several places

I narrow a lot of rear ends .... used housings are almost always bent to some degree.... especially if the have been down a race track
and when you use a jig for the final welding on ends .... it all works out

I try and trim old housings in a lathe , or get them straightened, but just welding on bracket can bend them a lot
http://www.darkside.ca/rear-housing.asp

I also know of many 9 second cars that at the end of a racing season can barely get the axles out

A quick check is to pull out axle an inch or so and try and put it back in , find the approximate middle of the left, right or up down movement and se if it lines up with the flange

Depending on the jaws and how you tighten it. EVERYTHING will appear bent....

Bad bad bad .....

The rear can be straightened though so don't worry...

I straighten them all the time, 8.75, D-30, D-35's...

I narrow a lot of rear ends .... used housings are almost always bent to some degree.... especially if the have been down a race track
and when you use a jig for the final welding on ends .... it all works out

I try and trim old housings in a lathe , or get them straightened, but just welding on bracket can bend them a lot
http://www.darkside.ca/rear-housing.asp

I also know of many 9 second cars that at the end of a racing season can barely get the axles out

A quick check is to pull out axle an inch or so and try and put it back in , find the approximate middle of the left, right or up down movement and se if it lines up with the flange

Concur on the welding..... some people don't get it, just can't start welding away on housings..

Mine in my Duster is bent. The alignment shop told me I had 1/2" of toe in - on the rear tires! Since then, I had the axles out and yes, it really is pretty bad.

So, yeah, it's entirely possible. A different axle housing is in the works for me. Narrower and back braced too.

Just straighten that housing and then brace it, done, better then new....

Also you don't have to get crazy with the bracing, you do the lighter I style where you take a single piece run it down the middle 0- and then take the other over the top of that -| if you were looking at the housing from the side ....

. 0-|

Just do not weld it all across in one shot, do like an inch at each end then the middle, then between that, then let it sit, then some more...

-
Back