Best carburetor and intake manifold for a 273?

-

Luiswb

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Luis and i am a new guy around here! Back in April i got a 1966 dodge Coronet with a 273 and a 2 bbl. i would like you swap it out with a 4bbl and a new intake manifold to wake it up a little! So... what do you guys think would be the best bang for my buck (i am only 19 and don't have a huge budget)

Sincerely -LuisWB

For the intake on a budget, you could get a factory cast, and they work well.
And welcome.....

Welcome to FABO!

I agree. The original 273 4bbl intake works great.

IMG_20160803_113732.jpg

For some reason i was thinking this was a b body form ohh i feel dumb :lol: I have a B body i hope you guys don't mind! Thank you for the quick reply's already!

For some reason i was thinking this was a b body form ohh i feel dumb :lol: I have a B body i hope you guys don't mind! Thank you for the quick reply's already!
Not a problem. I joined the B-body forum and I don't have one of those... :)
Everything gets posted here, and plenty of help for your small block here.....
By the way, don't the '66 273's and up have the regular intake bolt angle??? So getting an intake would be easier?

Welcome, and congratulations on owning a B body Mopar. Though this is an A body site (and I own one, a 72 duster), I prefer my B Bodies (68 Sat, 73 RR). 318willrun has some good advice. Having said that, I myself wouldn't put any money into a 273. Too small, especially in a B body. Even a puny 318 has a 40+ cubic inch advantage. I would save my pennies for a big block. B motors and B bodies go together like PB and jelly. Even a worn out motorhome 440 will run rings around a mild performance built 273. Sticking with your current engine, a stock 4v intake will help, as 318wr has mentioned. Performer would work also and is pretty common . Any small 4v if working correctly will probably be an improvement over your stock 2v. Bang for buck stuff: Dual exhaust if not already equipped. If the cooling fan is solidly mounted, switching to a clutch fan or electric fan would help performance and fuel economy. Distributor recurve is cheap (free if you are just tossing the heavy spring). Cold air to the carb , either by a hood scoop sealed to an air pan, or ducting going from the air cleaner housing to outside the engine bay( under the bumper for example.

Not a problem. I joined the B-body forum and I don't have one of those... :)
Everything gets posted here, and plenty of help for your small block here.....
By the way, don't the '66 273's and up have the regular intake bolt angle??? So getting an intake would be easier?
Awesome thanks! i am not really sure! :p

Welcome, and congratulations on owning a B body Mopar. Though this is an A body site (and I own one, a 72 duster), I prefer my B Bodies (68 Sat, 73 RR). 318willrun has some good advice. Having said that, I myself wouldn't put any money into a 273. Too small, especially in a B body. Even a puny 318 has a 40+ cubic inch advantage. I would save my pennies for a big block. B motors and B bodies go together like PB and jelly. Even a worn out motorhome 440 will run rings around a mild performance built 273. Sticking with your current engine, a stock 4v intake will help, as 318wr has mentioned. Performer would work also and is pretty common . Any small 4v if working correctly will probably be an improvement over your stock 2v. Bang for buck stuff: Dual exhaust if not already equipped. If the cooling fan is solidly mounted, switching to a clutch fan or electric fan would help performance and fuel economy. Distributor recurve is cheap (free if you are just tossing the heavy spring). Cold air to the carb , either by a hood scoop sealed to an air pan, or ducting going from the air cleaner housing to outside the engine bay( under the bumper for example.
Right now all have done (Performance wise) is i got a dual exhaust with an X pipe in it and some off brand Magnaflows! i am in a debate on if i want to keep this car more stock just for cruising around and getting a project car and put a big motor in or if i want to dump it all into this.

Performer, it has the 273/318 port size and is probably the cheapest AL intake out there as there are thousands. 66 will bolt up fine. carb can be an Edel/Carter 500-600 or even a Holley 1850 600. Either 500 will be double the price of a 600 as they are less common. 273's are usually pretty soft on the bottom end so some taller gears work best and can carry over to your next motor. Youll need the 4bbl kickdown stuff unless you can adapt your 2bbl top rod to reach the new farther away carb linkage.

I agree I wouldn't try to go too far with the 273. But it's not a bad starter engine to learn on. Like any engine 4bbl, exhaust and gears are a good start and can work with a 360 swap down the road.

I'd go with an intake and carb that would also work with a 360 unless there's little chance of the swap happening. I'd go with a 650 and a eddy performer intake since it's got in between size ports. It not the greatest intake for 360 unless gasket matched so basically it will work for both and you can get them cheap used.

The Edelbrock LD4B is one of the best old school intakes. Tough to beat.

Right now all have done (Performance wise) is i got a dual exhaust with an X pipe in it and some off brand Magnaflows! i am in a debate on if i want to keep this car more stock just for cruising around and getting a project car and put a big motor in or if i want to dump it all into this.

I'd just keep doing one mod at a time as you can afford and see where that takes ya.
And you come across something that's begging for a built engine is always a future possibility.

Just dont get to far ahead of yourself or dream to big, that how project end up sitting on blocks for decades :)

Pretty sure I've seen your car around Bville a couple of times. I never was able to get a good look.

The Edelbrock LD4B is one of the best old school intakes. Tough to beat.
I agree. They seem to be getting kinda tough to find for a reasonable price though. I've got one and I'm hanging on to it!!

On my 1965, 273 I have the D4B intake manifold. If yours is a 1966 it would be the LD4B like mentioned before. I am very happy with this manifold. Maybe you could look at an Edelbrock 500 or 600 cfm carb to go with the intake.

Welcome aboard Luis. The Coronet is pretty big car for the 273. You may have big $$ into the engine and not be happy. LD4B are getting very pricey as well. Maybe just enjoy as is and save for another motor?
Nice 66 I uaed to own a 67

Cheers
Steve

welcome. i'm a neighbor in MO. yep... I have a small herd of early A bodies, but my main car right now is a 67 Bel 1 a post car, like your coronet. mine came with a slant! ha
like just said, that car and the 273 , somewhat heavy for that engine. but great motor and cruiser. the 4 bbl will wake it up some. looks like nice platform for whatever direction you go. like said, keep your eyes out for 440 motor home engine, or even a 400. if worth the $. stock they lack compression, but can be work up stock with some good gears. and a great foundation when you have or want to put $ in it.

I have the Edelbrock sp2p. All it really offers beyond 4 brl is dual plane, Improved low end torque.
You could get that from a later model cast iron 4 brl intake. Any would have the larger runners and create steps at the 273 heads though. The sp2p does match the 273 heads.
Performer intake today, different heads tomorrow ? It will always be just a 273 at heart though.
This doesn't mean I don't love my 273 in my a-body. I'm adamant about having more stopping power than going power so....

Last edited:
there was an old D64 intake WITH two carbs on the local CL (local to me, not you) a while ago for 350
that would have been sweet

nice ride though

Hey everyone! My name is Luis and i am a new guy around here! Back in April i got a 1966 dodge Coronet with a 273 and a 2 bbl. i would like you swap it out with a 4bbl and a new intake manifold to wake it up a little! So... what do you guys think would be the best bang for my buck (i am only 19 and don't have a huge budget) Sincerely -LuisWB

273's are fine. At 19 and a limited budget a 4 barrel intake and carb sounds good. Skip the sp2p, 273's are a higher rpm motor and the sp2p will limit power at the top. Any Performer, stock 273, Holley Street Dominator, or 340 intake will be fine. Any Thermo-quad, AFB, AVS, QuadraJet, Edelbrock, or Holley will do for a Carb. Make sure the carb will fit the Intake. Get the 340 throttle cable bracket and kickdown upper rod to get full opening at the carb. Getting a pumpkin with 3.23 gears is also a great bang for the buck. You can also add a Sure Grip later.

Last edited:
-
Back