Best carburetor and intake manifold for a 273?

-
Right now all have done (Performance wise) is i got a dual exhaust with an X pipe in it and some off brand Magnaflows! i am in a debate on if i want to keep this car more stock just for cruising around and getting a project car and put a big motor in or if i want to dump it all into this.
I would drive it like it is. If it is working, don't mess with it. Being 19, limited $ and probably mechanical xperience...... The performance increase for $$$ spent wouldn't make a great difference. Save you $$ if you like the car and find a 360 down the road. Enjoy it like it is- drive it

Also, double check the notorious bolt angle of the heads before purchasing a new intake. Most 66' heads don't have it but my 66 273 did. Turns out some 66's were getting the older heads. Most likely yours is not though.

Where did you get your plug wire valve cover holders from? Engine looks great Dustin

Yep like bbrroowwnn said, the factory used this type of valve cover on the 273 Commando engines. Not sure how hard they are to come by. I redid my covers by removing the old paint and using "wrinkle paint", then baking them in my wife's oven (she wasn't home at the time!). It's been about two years and they still look pretty good.

Thanks!! I was in a hurry to get the motor in so I used Hemi Orange paint. Next time I pull it I'm going to go with something closer to the factory block color...I've heard Chrysler is close. The engine bay is the original paint...complete with a run on the firewall.

Yep like bbrroowwnn said, the factory used this type of valve cover on the 273 Commando engines. Not sure how hard they are to come by. I redid my covers by removing the old paint and using "wrinkle paint", then baking them in my wife's oven (she wasn't home at the time!). It's been about two years and they still look pretty good.

Thanks!! I was in a hurry to get the motor in so I used Hemi Orange paint. Next time I pull it I'm going to go with something closer to the factory block color...I've heard Chrysler is close. The engine bay is the original paint...complete with a run on the firewall.
The valve covers turned out great. I was curious of the plastic clips the hold the plug wires to the covers. I've found some before but they were for skinny wires. Thanks Dustin

The valve covers turned out great. I was curious of the plastic clips the hold the plug wires to the covers. I've found some before but they were for skinny wires. Thanks Dustin

I used the original clips. My won't "clip" together, but they will, with some pressure, push into the metal wire holders. I use the Pertronix igniter and a Pertronix 40,000 volt coil so I wanted the 8mm wires. Along with a mini starter the engine fires up in no time!

IMG_20160814_183256977[1].jpg

there was an old D64 intake WITH two carbs on the local CL (local to me, not you) a while ago for 350
that would have been sweet

nice ride though

The D64 is not for his engine. It is for the early 273 with the different angle bolt holes. The D66 would fit his engine.

She is a little dirty right now!

Not too dirty!! Looks good.

I really need to pull my power steering pump and paint it and the bracket. My alternator could use some cleaning up also. Did you add the dual Master Cylinder? I replaced my single pot about a year ago.

Let's see some more of that Coronet!! We love car **** over here on FABO!!

She is a little dirty right now!
Not too dirty!! Looks good.

I really need to pull my power steering pump and paint it and the bracket. My alternator could use some cleaning up also. Did you add the dual Master Cylinder? I replaced my single pot about a year ago.

Let's see some more of that Coronet!! We love car **** over here on FABO!!
Well the guy I got it from put disk brakes on the front and power steering! I will be sure to put up more!

Nice car. Whether you change carbs or not, You really should relocate the fuel filter to a vertical position ( see 73 and up tube routing design ) and please use a metal filter.

Anyone have an opinion on an edelbrock sp2p. Narrow runners might be well suited to the smaller 273. Thoughts?

EDIT: This thread has some opinions on it.
273/318 Edelbrock SP2P Intake Manifold
Stay far away from this intake, it was junk and made no power above 4000 rpm. Use a Holley street dominator, they are almost identical to a 273 HiPo manifold and they are cheap.

LD4B is a good intake but everybody seems to think they are valuable today. Just the stock Edelbrock Performer( not the RPM) will work fine and they are cheap. The Holley Street Dominator came in 2 styles, the regular one didn't have a crossover tube in the back and the Z style did. Either of these is almost identical to a 273 HiPo intake except they are aluminum and they are cheap and plentiful and will fit most of the aftermarket carbs available these days. Stick with a small carb,600 to 650 cfm.

Nice car. Whether you change carbs or not, You really should relocate the fuel filter to a vertical position ( see 73 and up tube routing design ) and please use a metal filter.
What is the advantage of a vertical filter??

Where it is serves as a fuel vapor reservoir. This change came with unleaded fuel.

-
Back