Best carburetor and intake manifold for a 273?

-
Im am changing gaskets out on the top end of the motor because of oil leaks and my 67 273 commando has a Weiand Stealth 8022 intake on it with an edelbrock 650cfm carb. Should I leave this intake on or swap it out with something else while im going to have it apart? I noticed air gaps in the middle of the head that arent covered and didnt know if those mattered. Thanks!

Venting the heat out of the head can be a good thing. Dropping tiny screws and such into those cavities can be a biotch. Some owners have filled them with aluminum mesh or something similar.

The LD4B Edelbrock is a great manifold for the 66 and newer 273's. The stock 4 barrel manifold works well also and is cheaper and easier to find. Watch out for manifolds made for 340 and 360 engines. They have large ports and although they will work, they aren't as efficient as the manifolds designed for the smaller 273/318 ports.

engine 296.jpg

I really don't get you guys knocking the SP2P intake. I think it'd work fine for the OP's application. Everyone poo-poo's it for no high RPM power...they were never designed for that, and, I doubt he's gonna race his car, so low RPM torque will be better for him, and will help move a heavy car out much better. I had an SP2P on my first '67 Dart HT 273...it performed very well with a 500 Carter AFB....MUCH better than the 2bbl junk that it came with. Yes, LD4B would work great, but, as the OP said, he's on a budget and probably can't afford to plunk down $250+ for one. The SP2P will also support a spread-bore carb which again might help the small-engine/heavy car situation. he can probably pick up an SP2P for under $100. He can probably get an SP2P AND a carb for the price of the LD4B.

YMMV.....

Last edited:
I've got a 273 commando with it's stock 4 barrel intake on it now and a holley 1460 (#80457-s) on it now and works OK... I'm flirting with the idea of switching it out for an edelbrock but not sure...

-
Back