Best mechanical water pump?

-
I believe the HP ones are 6 blades, that way you get the 6 blade without the price of MOPAR which is like 60 or something. This is what I have on mine and reuse it everytime the motor comes apart.

I believe the HP ones are 6 blades, that way you get the 6 blade without the price of MOPAR which is like 60 or something. This is what I have on mine and reuse it everytime the motor comes apart.

I have the 6 blade HP pump! doesn´t work on my stroker!

I have always used pumps that were designed for AC equpiied cars. They have more blades and move the water faster. As far as the best brands I have no idea if one is better than the other.

I have had zero issues with a MoPar unit that is now 20 something years old. A/C units are what I use for the above reason. So far, so good.

It's suppose to help circulation if you pop-rivet a sheetmetal disc to the blades.
Same overall diameter as the blades and stainless pop-rivets should be used.

NICE unit MAD! Keeps the twin turbo engine cool? Oh, how sweet that is! Nice! I know that engine has GOTTA be pumpin out the heat.

yea either the one mad pasted is good, edelbrock if u like usa made stuff, although dunno if edelbrock is now chineese or what, but i use the mopar 6 blade wp. they have an 8 blade pump available too...

Well, a high 11 second car running a NAPA water pump and other wise stock cooling system. Zero cooling issues. Maybe I will look into something fancy if I ever have a problem.

But until then......

I have always used pumps that were designed for AC equpiied cars. They have more blades and move the water faster. As far as the best brands I have no idea if one is better than the other.

Thats clever and a real world fix/help! I'll keep it in mind as I look for a bb wp and housing. Do they come in alum?

my stroker is running a 6 blade...

Yeah, I don't know how much the Water pump has to do with the cooling I would think the Radiator/Fans would be doing the majority of the work.

With the Raised Dam walls on the PRW unit I am thinking that cavatation at higher RPM's would be alot better.

Here is their sales pitch....

Performance quotient engineered pumps will flow 35 gallons per minute at 4,000 RPM, with minimal cavitations and proportionally increased flow rates at 5,000 RPM and above. Equalized water flow distribution and pressure-balanced water passages minimize internal engine hot-spots making these pumps an excellent alternative for not only racers, but also trucks, towing, and motorhome applications. Cruisers and hot rudders will appreciate the improved cooling at low speeds and the polished aluminum water pump bodies. Block-to-hub 5.550 inch.

PRW 1431800 Feature Review
Steel hubs and heavy duty shielded-seal roller ball bearings
Pressure injected aluminum alloy pump bodies
Back plate "O" ring sealed for competition plus applications
Reliable cast iron CNC machined impellers
Satin-cast

Here are some better pictures of the Dam walls, Impeller etc.

View attachment phpwOlBVJAM.jpg

View attachment phpHT6drEAM.jpg

View attachment phpDxQFs9AM.jpg

View attachment phpbMRulLAM.jpg

View attachment phpP6eKRaAM.jpg

View attachment phpNRalENAM.jpg

The factory AC cars ran a 6 blade water pump. The non AC cars ran an 8 blade. The factory AC cars had different pulley ratios to spin the water pump and fan faster then a non AC car. The factory water pumps are known to cavitate and stop flowing at higher engine RPMs. Welding a round plate to the back of the impellers helps.

I run a Flowkooler on mine because they are the only high performance pump available if you have the '69 and ealier driver's side lower radiator hose. There is no aluminum pump available for the earlier cars. If you have the passenger's side lower hose ('70 and up small block) there are a few choices.

Yeah, I don't know how much the Water pump has to do with the cooling I would think the Radiator/Fans would be doing the majority of the work.

With the Raised Dam walls on the PRW unit I am thinking that cavatation at higher RPM's would be alot better.

Here is their sales pitch....

Here are some better pictures of the Dam walls, Impeller etc.

View attachment 261857

View attachment 261856

View attachment 261854

View attachment 261855

View attachment 261853

View attachment 261858

A majority of the work? IDK but my system cools so well, sometimes I dont even have to run the car with the fans on. But to all his own.

A majority of the work? IDK but my system cools so well, sometimes I dont even have to run the car with the fans on. But to all his own.

This is for informational purposes only. Take it as you wish.

What is your initial timing at? What is it at all in? I am curious.

What kind of Radiator?

Is this the same motor you have pulled apart several different times?
Is it still running or is it down now?

Champion.
nope 410 stroker and car is apart to be painted

-
Back