Best Way to Hoist an Engine

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
As I am slowly working back to the reassembly of my car, one of the obvious big steps will be hoisting the engine back into the bay. I am looking for some recommendations or advice on different ways to reinstall the engine from the top. I recognize that going in from the bottom is an option, but I don't think that is going to work for my situation. Specifically I am wondering if there is another way to hoist the engine besides mounting the hoist chains to the intake bolts? Is there a way to run straps around the exhaust manifolds to attach to the hoist? I guess I am looking for ways that don't directly involve unbolting something from the engine to attach the hoist. At the very least, I would appreciate some recommendations that don't involve removing intake bolts. Thanks.

Use a carburetor plate.

Like this....

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 361
  • 012.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 361
I use the engine levelers and drop the engine and trans in at the same time.

You can have the engine all the way up to the intake and no exhaust (hang headers while dropping engine if needed).

Here's some step by step pictures of when we pulled the engine out of my son's Challenger last fall.

Lift the engine level to get off of engine and trans mounts:

View attachment Eng Pull A02 B.jpg

Then pull it forward to just before the radiator support:

View attachment Eng Pull A06 B.jpg

View attachment Eng Pull A07 B.jpg

View attachment Eng Pull A10 B.jpg

Now tilt it as much as you can to get it over the radiator support:

View attachment Eng Pull A13 B.jpg

Here's the tight spot to get the oil pan hump over the radiator support:

View attachment Eng Pull A16 B.jpg

Then get it over the radiator support and start to level it back out:

View attachment Eng Pull A18 B.jpg

View attachment Eng Pull A20 B.jpg

Reverse this procedure to install....

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the carb plate idea. Will the stress of the engine weight not do damage to the carb mount holes? Also, will it be too difficult to use the carb plate if the transmission is also bolted to the engine? Where would I be able to pick up one of those plates if I decide to give that a try?

Krazy, I appreciate all the pictures. My only concern would be it looks like you mounted your chains to the four corners of your intake. That is what I am trying to avoid.

Carburetor plates have been used and sold for decades. If they damaged anything, we'd know about it.

Should be able to find a carburetor plate at any auto parts store. Advance, Autozone, NAPA, Pepboys, etc.

I use the same engine leveler that KrazyKuda used. I was doing it by myself and the leveler made it possible without help.

I also put a rug over the grill area. And...should have put one along the firewall. I nipped the firewall and scratched it a little.:banghead:

Attachments

• Engine Hoist.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 296
I use the same engine leveler that KrazyKuda used. I was doing it by myself and the leveler made it possible without help.

Exactly. I like the ability of the engine leveler to be able to tilt the engine and trans to drop it in. I can pull the engine in less than 10 minutes by myself after everything is unhooked and ready to pull....

I prefer to bolt the engine and trans together outside of the car, instead of wrestle with it inside the car, especially if the torque converter wants to slide out of position....

A carb plate is a good way to go. I usually use a tilt on the hoist and go that route. Intake bolts are a good way to attach the tilt to the engine because the bolts are big and the tilt won't hit the firewall. I've attached the tilt to the ends of the cylinder heads before but clearance with the firewall was tight.

Thanks to all of you guys for the comments. I may give the carb plate a try. There will be at least three of us so we should be able to scratch up both inner fenders and the firewall and radiator support.

Tip, if you are installing it with the trans, take the lower pulley and water pump off, it gives you alot more room.

Also, put the rear tires on a set of car ramps, it makes it easier to slide the engine in.

Carb plate. Put the 360 I built for my 69 Dart in with a carb plate, didn't remove the hood or remove the Rad, slipped right in.

Attachments

• DSC04091.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC04092.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 229
Carb plate. Put the 360 I built for my 69 Dart in with a carb plate, didn't remove the hood or remove the Rad, slipped right in.

Man, you are brave putting that in with the radiator in place!

I've used chains (if you don't have a leveler) bolted in an x pattern connecting the two endings of the heads (firewall side and radiator side), then placed hook even between the two chains. But you have to remove the alternator and such for this. I've also used a leveler bolted into the four farthest separated intake bolts. You can mix match both ways with a chain or leveler. But either way you will need a hoist of some kind, unless you're a real real strong guy.

LOL I had the PS, ALt and A/C on, never even touched the rad. Close, but move slow and all was well. Damn, I miss that car :(

Dang! I was thinking just that ... he still has all the accessories on and the hood wth!
that set up looked sweet

-
Back