so if I move back the rear axles a little like 1''
this could do the job

what would be the best thing to do
shim between the front hangers
drill an hole 1'' further on the lift spring
any other idea???

the car is 1971 plymouth duster

thanks bob

I would put a spacer between the spring mounts but if you go more than .5 in you will have to make a longer driveshaft:burnout:

-And possibly re engineer the rear shackle angle.
-Dont forget those front hanger bolts are pretty puny. The lever action at the spring eye might be something to consider.
-if you redrill the springs(good luck with that), you need to consider axle wrap.
-Moving the perchs might be do-able
-The shocks might move into the tank though, and the shock-bushings may be stressed. And the bump stops may be off.
-How about trimming the front of the wheelwells.
-When I put 325s (about 28")on my S, I shimmed the hangers back 1/4 inch, and trimmed the front corners of the wheelwell/quarters, and the wheel lip at the top was trimmed. Then narrowed the rear end to fit.I mighta moved the axle back on the perchs too. Cant remember; it was a dozen or more years ago.
-Just how big a tire are you working with?

Like Dillinger said, you can put a 1/4" to 3/8" spacer in front of the front spring perch/hanger before you run out of stud threads. You can also slot out the hole in the axle spring perch maybe 1/2". So so can easily get 3/4" or more of movement to the rear without major mods but you'll probably have to lengthen your drive shaft and relocate the lower shock mount (I did).
I was able to run a 29" tire (could probably go 30") , you didn't say how big a tire you're looking to run. Anyway, I have a '69 Barracuda which is a little different than what you have but the same principles applies.
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04274.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 265
Because there is a stagger designed into the cars drive line, look/measure closely both sides. You'll find there is move room for movement on the left than on the right.
Those who build for drag only will often alter the factorys street friendly stagger to get a straight launch on a flat track.

Moved mine back an inch on the leaf. Centered the wheel up and gave me plenty of big tire room.

Sorry but its all i have from the days i got it.

to this 275 radial

Make a new set of front hangars with the holes 1 inch back farther.

Make a new set of front hangars with the holes 1 inch back farther.

Why? It only allows more front half rotation if he installs a traction bar and a better ride. He could just drill adjustment holes on his current front hanger to correct anything some might deem nessesary for proper...uh....angle of the leaf maybe..???

-
Back