Best way to ship a shell and rear end across country?

-

Fuzz

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been lurking for a while and made an account a few days ago. You may have noticed my swiss cheese '68 Barracuda fastback that was deemed a parts car or requiring a donor shell...well I found a shell! I was wondering what're the logistics of getting a 1967 fastback shell with fenders, grill, door shells, and rear deck lid along with an 8 3/4 rear end down from Minnesota to central Florida?

Still very much so new to the scene so I'm not aware of how one would even haul something like that such a distance. I have no experience driving my rwd truck in the snow/ice so I can't make the long haul safely so shipping one way or another seems to be the only option.

Is it a lost cause? Any ideas on getting it down here?

Thanks in advance! So far you've all been a huge help and very friendly!

Have you tried Fastenal????
I thought Fastenal was a place that sold bolts and other fasteners.
Anyway, I was going to say that the cheapest and easiest way would be to either borrow a trailer and go get it, or drive up and rent a one way trailer back. I think you would spend a LOT of money having that stuff loaded and hauled.

I thought Fastenal was a place that sold bolts and other fasteners.
Anyway, I was going to say that the cheapest and easiest way would be to either borrow a trailer and go get it, or drive up and rent a one way trailer back. I think you would spend a LOT of money having that stuff loaded and hauled.
Unfortunately I'm but a wee lad who can't drive in snow/ice with my rwd pickup truck.

is the shell mobile? or strapped to a pallet. I suggest finding a broker who can find someone with a flat bed trailer who would otherwise be deadheading back toward your neighborhood and maybe cut you a reasonable deal.

The rates are $250.00 loading fee and $2.75 a loaded mile. You must provide unloading at your location. loading + 25% down the rest in cash on delivery. Most U-ship carriers use this rate.

Cheapest way is to go and get it. Dont be skeered of snow and ice, you will need to go slower w a trailer. When driving on this stuff you have to feather the gas, and brake, and go easy on the steering, not get really jerky with the wheel. Leave a lot more room between you and the person in front of you especially with the extra heft of a trailer. Ex. If you start sliding sideways, slowly ease off gas, and let off the brake, steer into it. If sliding to the right, turn left etc. Do not EVER use cruise control. Most major highways up there are cleared well. Its secondary roads that suck. Once your on a major highway its smooth sailing because they clear those very quickly after a snow storm.

Last edited:
Minnesota is on the back side of the lakes. Cold yes, but not really much snow usually. Worst case pull over till they get it cleared up.

If it doesn't roll bring the parts off the one you've got to make a roller. Bring plenty of tools and ratchet straps. Rent a one way trailer and have at it. Every car guy has a big cross country trailer adventure at one time or another. Here's yours.

Or leave the guy a deposit, and tell him you can come get it in the spring after the snow melts.

Agreed that going and picking it up yourself is the cheapest, going to cost you your time and gas money.. it's not snow covered prairie trails in Minnesota, actual highways and roads that get cleared off, haha, don't be afraid of snow.. I grew up with 2 wheel drive trucks and cars here in ND, didn't have a 4x4 till I bought one in 1994

How about all the FABO members in the area and along the route do a relay so to speak and arrange the shell to be picked up on a trailer and take turns hauling the body and trailer to Florida for Fuzz. If 10 or so members chip in Fuzz can have his shell in a few days and no one is out more than gas and a few hours.

I flew to California ($250.00) and rented a truck and trailer ($1400.00) Gas (~$250.00) to haul my Dad's dart to Colorado. If I had had a truck and trailer I would have driven.

On a side note... Fuzz, are you 100% sure that a 50 year old body is in good shape from Minnesota? Nothing wrong with Minnesota just more rust in that part of the country than say California.

How about all the FABO members in the area and along the route do a relay so to speak and arrange the shell to be picked up on a trailer and take turns hauling the body and trailer to Florida for Fuzz. If 10 or so members chip in Fuzz can have his shell in a few days and no one is out more than gas and a few hours.

I flew to California ($250.00) and rented a truck and trailer ($1400.00) Gas (~$250.00) to haul my Dad's dart to Colorado. If I had had a truck and trailer I would have driven.

On a side note... Fuzz, are you 100% sure that a 50 year old body is in good shape from Minnesota? Nothing wrong with Minnesota just more rust in that part of the country than say California.
It was directed to me by some guys on the forum, supposedly it's in really good shape. Unfortunately going and getting it myself just isn't an option for me as much as I'd like it to be. I work service and they don't like when I call off let alone for an extended period of time and with my classes it just doesn't seen feasible to travel the 3000 mile round trip. :(

[
That'd be one hell of a thing to organize, big daisy chain of people transferring the car! If that was feasible I'd be able to travel and get the car once it's in the greater south. Tennessee, Alabama, etc.

Last edited:
Lots of good ideas here to help you. The relay one is a great idea. Put a rear axle under it w good tires that rolls and strap it to a uhaul tow dolley, do a 1 way rental terminating in florida and keep xferring it from fabo member to member till its there. Great idea.

Maybe theres a fabo member with some property willing to pick it up from this guy and store it under a tarp until springtime.

Lots of good ideas here to help you. The relay one is a great idea. Put a rear axle under it w good tires that rolls and strap it to a uhaul tow dolley, do a 1 way rental terminating in florida and keep xferring it from fabo member to member till its there. Great idea.

Maybe theres a fabo member with some property willing to pick it up from this guy and store it under a tarp until springtime.
I really hope someone can help! You guys have been amazingly friendly so far, I don't want to impose on anyone.

You can Google car haulers. There is a site where you put in your starting and ending points and they send you quotes. (BE prepared for a deluge of emails and phone calls within minutes). Ive done this twice in the last 4 years. A Valiant from Nebraska to Ohio and a Comanche from KC. Many of them seem to be Florida based too.

I just had the Jeep delivered last fall for $400. I met them at a nearby parking lot so they didnt have to maneuver through my development. I considered flying there to pick it up but couldn't do it for that price considering flight, hotel, gas AND time.
The Val was further so it cost more and it didn't run. It was an extra hundred bucks for them to winch it on the car hauler. I think the total was 600.

If your seller can make it into a roller, that might be a possibility. The hauler has to know ahead of time though so they send the proper equipment.

I just had a car delivered for me, I can pm you the guys info later this evening.

You can Google car haulers. There is a site where you put in your starting and ending points and they send you quotes. (BE prepared for a deluge of emails and phone calls within minutes). Ive done this twice in the last 4 years. A Valiant from Nebraska to Ohio and a Comanche from KC. Many of them seem to be Florida based too.

I just had the Jeep delivered last fall for $400. I met them at a nearby parking lot so they didnt have to maneuver through my development. I considered flying there to pick it up but couldn't do it for that price considering flight, hotel, gas AND time.
The Val was further so it cost more and it didn't run. It was an extra hundred bucks for them to winch it on the car hauler. I think the total was 600.

If your seller can make it into a roller, that might be a possibility. The hauler has to know ahead of time though so they send the proper equipment.
Do you know I'd anywhere would still take it with a skid on the front? No front wheels, only the rear. Here's a pic from the previous owner. I have to get it off his lot by 30 days.

received_10155883785095071.jpeg

Now for the big can o worms, are you going to swap your cars vin, body data plate and both body sequence numbers into this shell, or does this new shell come with a title or bill of sale along with the vin and data plates ?

Now for the big can o worms, are you going to swap your cars vin, body data plate and both body sequence numbers into this shell, or does this new shell come with a title or bill of sale along with the vin and data plates ?
It comes with a title, vin, and data plates. Gotta decide whether I want to rebuild it as a 67 or 68 as the donor is a 67. :p

I'd go 67. I think the 67 taillights are much better than 68s better visability bigger lenses. All that 68 unique stuff will sell quick. Especially that 1 year only 68 dash.

I suggest build it as it was built.

-
Back