Best way to temporarily block off heater hoses?

-

Useless

Reaction score
Ever since I've owned my Valiant the windows seem to fog up or get filmy overnight. The previous owner had the same problem but didn't even try to figure it out.

It's more than just dirty windows, more like an oily film, so the first thing I think is heater core, however it isn't steaming, no anti-freeze smell and no coolant loss.

I figure the best way to see if that's it is to block off the heater core and drive it like that for a week or two.

Normally I would just loop the heater hose back to the block, but on a slant it's hard to do without a lot of hose and that looks awful, but you usually end up with a pinched hose if you use the stock length.

I've seen people put bolts in hoses and clamp them there in the past; is this a safe thing to do? How much pressure goes thru the heater system?

If the core ends up being the problem I'll likely drive it blocked off for a few weeks before I can afford or have time to change it.

I also thought about an inline valve, but I'm not sure which hose flows to the core and which is the return.

I just loop one of the hoses=water pump to intake.

That's what I would normally do, but on a slant you need a 4 or 5 foot length of hose to loop it around without to aviod the hose folding in the middle. If there isn't much pressure going thru the hoses I will totally do that, but I'd like to make sure first. I've had a hose or two explode before, no fun at all.

That's what I would normally do, but on a slant you need a 4 or 5 foot length of hose to loop it around without to aviod the hose folding in the middle. If there isn't much pressure going thru the hoses I will totally do that, but I'd like to make sure first. I've had a hose or two explode before, no fun at all.

Believe it or not a couple pairs of needle nose vice grips work awesome.

I used a 2" piece of hose with a pipe plug of the correct size, and a hose clamp over that for insurance. Worked like a champ for several hundred miles.

ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 20 12.33.jpg

ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 20 12.33.jpg

I suppose if this was a temporary setup until the heater core is replaced ..
I would screw a hand full of pipe fittings together to create a U and tie it to the firewall and put the hoses on it instead. Barbed hose nipples, 90 degree Ls, 2 clamps.

The pressure of your cooling system is limited to what pressure your cap is. If you have a 16lb cap it could get up to 16psi.

it doesn't matter if it folds, for you have the head/block hose that does that job.

Isn't the kink, in a way, the same as plugging it?:read2:

Useless, I used rubber stoppers from the local hardware store. They come
in different sizes and you just put them in the hose and put the hoses back
on. They block off the flow and are easy to take back off. Cheap too, about
$.35 cents each. Work great and everything looks stock.

-
Back