Big block and hood clearance

-
Here's friend Dan's '70 with a 383 on Schumacher mounts. This has a non-RPM Performer
which is a little shorter than the RPM version but there seems to be plenty of room.

Manifold height:

Performer RPM front 411/42, rear 511/42

vs.

Performer front 331/48, rear 411/44

Link to HOT ROD Magazine 383 intake manifold comparo:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0712_mopar_intake_manifold_comparo/

goldDuster3022_zps7b758f27.jpg

goldDuster3027_zpsbf59f216.jpg

Did he ever update that engine article with a beefier 383 combo?

will my 383 fit under a stock flat hood in my 71 duster? Eddy rpm performer intake.
I would think it would with no prob,I only ran into prob with 440 [71 dart] with a single plane m-1 with a spacer,had to use a drop down breather base,have since switched to perf rpm and am going with a custom box[ram air style] to connect to the twin scoops that I will build out of alum myself once the little 440 goes back in...

The type of ram air I was referring to is bolt on underneath the hood style and sits down on the carb when you close the hood I dont like all the duct work tubes over the fenderwells as I have fenderwell headers as to why I will have to build it myself from sheet alum kinda like a plenum all self contained and compact but yet light enough to not affect the hood being held up on its own from the weight...have access to a metal brake and have the material already and the tools..so the challange is to figure it out and be functionable without looking like a pos...lol

Well once we are on the dyno, i will see if we are going to try a spacer etc see what its worth on this combo and go from there? I cant really do anything till i get the motor in the car. I dont want to cut up my stock steel hood, i can get a glass lift off hood for $300.00 here in Canada scoop will be extra.

I dont blame you on not wanting to cut up your stock hood but I've seen people do it..

............ I have did over 20 bb swaps, all with spool mounts.......only 3 had the per rpm intake......the low decks fit no problem, 1 had a 68 unsilenced air cleaner, 1 a dual snorkel, the other a440, needed a drop base chrome air cleaner.kim......

Thank you kim. So i should be ok with The rpm performer and a 3" drop base moroso air cleaner with a holley carb.

............ I have did over 20 bb swaps, all with spool mounts.......only 3 had the per rpm intake......the low decks fit no problem, 1 had a 68 unsilenced air cleaner, 1 a dual snorkel, the other a440, needed a drop base chrome air cleaner.kim......
Basically what was stated is if you are running a lowdeck[383-400] you shouldnt have a problem,you usually only run into problems with hood clearance with the hi-deck[440 rb] with higher rise intakes as a general rule of thumb...my dart is 71 with /6 k-member and schumaker mounts with a 440 and I have problems with clearance and I do not like the dropdown aircleaner style bases which interferes with my set-up ,so I will build a ram-air set-up as I believe I posted on,also hood is a twin hoodscoop that will be funtionable,that is attached to the bottom side of hood and sets down on to the carb,so no hose/tubes for me that you see advertised in the 'ram air set-up'style breathers...so if you've ever seen a b-body ram-air set-up then you will know basically what I'm talking about...but all in all you should be just fine

I'm doing this swap this winter, i'm building a 383 to drop into the Duster.
Already has my hood cut so no worries on that but i am a bit worried about clearance of the blower motor with aftermarket valve covers.

I'm doing this swap this winter, i'm building a 383 to drop into the Duster.
Already has my hood cut so no worries on that but i am a bit worried about clearance of the blower motor with aftermarket valve covers.

Keep me posted please. you will have yours done before i do.

-
Back