Big block B or RB ?

-

jimmer

Reaction score
I here alot of peole talk about 440's in A bodies.

I am curious why not the lower deck motors ?

I believe that with the lower deck height in A bodies it is eaier to change spark plugs and exhaust is not as tight to fit.

Plus with all the stroker options it seems like a 400 stroker would be the way to go in an a body ?

Just my thoughts.

I had a 400 in a 73 duster back in 89. It was not as popular back then.:happy1:

low decks are easier to install .....but if you installing a BB then your prolly a maniac like me ......so why not go for the ghusto and go with the biggest engine you can find. once you drive a 440 powered A-body you wont want anything else ....nose heavy ....hard to handle .....but dang ...what a violent rush ....its addicting

a 383 is a significant engine though .....nothing wrong with a 383 at all

A stroked 400 is bigger then a 440 , and it is cheap to do .

I believe that with the lower deck height in A bodies it is eaier to change spark plugs and exhaust is not as tight to fit.

Not if you use fenderwell headers and hack the inner fenders out.

Attachments

• 100_6201.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 492
with HP manifolds in a street application its not bad on a 440...the back spark on the pass side are best removed from underneath but not really that bad

Attachments

• CIMG9844.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 484
  • CIMG9843.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 457
I am messing with a 400 in a '71 Duster. Stroking it is out right now and will do a "On the cheap" build for fun. Once stroking cash comes in, the it'll probably go to 500+

plenty of stroker KB's (215, 251) from Summit, cheap for any piston. turn down a 440 crank or get a 400 bearing stroker Eagle 440 cast for the same price..plenty strong for anything but all out. Its as cheap to build a 451 as a 440 and its dimensionally smaller and uses the same heads. Imagine a 440 with a shorter piston and a bigger bore and 451's rap fast.

I have a 383 in my 67 fastback. built the motor using direct connection package back in the early 80s. I beat many big block chevys, fords, and even 440s on the street back in the day. great motors, they respond well to heads and cams. most important thing is quench.

I was just bringing up a point on the low deck big blocks, with strokers being so cheap theese days . I think any big block in an A body will make for good times and a fun ride !!!

So I was looking around and see that 440source makes a stroker kit for a 383 that makes it a 496. I have had small blocks for so long now and not payed much attention to stroker big blocks.

A low deck.451.Very nice combo,cost vs convenience.A well worked 383,runs really hard.Post 10,a good point.Post 2,reminds me ,how I got here....

Some headers like pro parts were made for the tall rb motor. They need work to fi with a b motor.

I've had a couple of 440 a bodies. Never had any issues with changing plugs, blower motor interference, etc. etc. it's all about thinking the project out before hand and buying/making the right parts.

I had 3 over the last 10 years this one a 456 stroker 4.402 bore selecting right cam for the engine and deck height is a factor the block or psiton height is a factor you will need a good machine shop . Currently running a voodoo cam straight up 60301 I'm not happy . Rough idle from 1000 rpms and top out at 4500. I drove on highway to work for about a week got up to 110 mph last day after that idle got worse so I jet up the 800 cfm eddie new jets new meter rods rich up figured was running lean . I spent 1699.00 machine shop work last summer the check everything and main bore line bored it 1/2 main studs decked the block balanced cut the 3.75 crank etc.. also larger oil pick up hole to 1/2 , 7 qt pan .. KB280 pistons from Hughes racing .. The block is a 400 RV truck block bored out .060 over .

vbpgimage.php

440 sits 2 inchs taller 2 inchs wider on 400 in a body lower right side the plugs either have to remove alt or run your arm under the manifold to get spark plugs driver side just the last one # 7 pain around steering box to get a wrench on . Other things 400 - 383 distributor sits too low so may want use a 440 dist with adapter sits up higher if use after market covers more room ..
[ame="http://youtu.be/P1sRmQ8jasc"]302 Found[/ame]

Hope this all helps you I'm switching back to RV cam , Voodoo set up lifter failure after 30 miles I would suggest roller or mechanical cam type cam in this high rev set up... Voodoo kit 977 lifters valve lash set best cold with intake cover off , just watch the lobe as goes to back heel do ur adjustment turn the push rod til just stops then 1/2 a turn do the next using Comp cams steel roller rockers .. ran car for 30 mins before ever drivin on street cam break in oil etc. 440 block VS 400 block sheer strength the 400 is way thicker at .060 the 440 block walls so thin way crack or fall out also the the main webs are very thin in a 440 any year 400 is the racers choice unless u go after market . Koleno blocks in all sizes Also cost harder to find and fund a 440 stroker than a 400 .. I picked up a complete 400 for 300$ just South MD . Had a Sox Martin 440 steel crank sitting around on shelf at .30 on the mains so that was free..

I here alot of peole talk about 440's in A bodies.

I am curious why not the lower deck motors ?

Plus with all the stroker options it seems like a 400 stroker would be the way to go in an a body ?

Just my thoughts.

I had a 400 in a 73 duster back in 89. It was not as popular back then.:happy1:

i've done few of each and the "B" motors are easier to install and work on by far than the "RB" motors. there is more clearance around the motor on both sides and the top, the bottom is the same on both.

For me, it was just a matter of what I found a deal on. If I would have found a 500 in B instead of a 500 in RB, I would have used that instead.

I had a 440 in my Duster. With my best friends help, it wasn't difficult to install at all and I don't remember ever having a problem with spark plugs.

Attachments

• DSCF3993.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 388
  • _0228.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 404
Is a stroked 400 bigger then a stroked 440.I am trying to see your point.
Is a 400 stroker bigger then a 440 ? Where have you been ? 400 + 440 crank = 452 yes it is bigger. The bore on a 400 is bigger then a 440 it is the stroke that is shorter. Plus now there is so many stroker kits to me it makes sense to use the low deck block. I think any bb in an a body makes for fun times !!!

-
Back