Big Block Gear Drive On A Slant?

-
I measured the clearance between my factory cam gear and the timing cover. I only had about 1/4 in clearance. I was measuring to put a cam button on mine.

I've been looking at this for a while also, I was thinking of trying to use a SBM thrust plate and machining the front cam journal to accept it. I also am also finishing up making patterns to cast a 2pc aluminum timing cover for the Slant's.

I've done them for other inline engines before. I'll have to see if my contact can still cut the gear on them, but I can make the blank with no problems. I only have a one bolt slant cam on hand, if you want to be a guinea pig and shoot me a three bolt one, i'd do it for little of nothing because your a fellow Georgia boy.LOL The last Slant product I developed got put in Mopar Muscle and Hot Rod, so you might get famous! LOL

Nobody makes a three bolt. The 3 bolt big block cam gear will fit and work but will be retained by the center bolt. It would be better if the cam was a 3 bolt though. The cam button would be easier to work out. All you need to do it is a big block cam gear. Just drill and tap to match that and there you have it. The single bolt big block cam gear and 3 bolt cam gears even have the dowel pin location in the same place.

UGH.....! i knew that, you threw me off when you said 3 bolt timing gear, I was thinking BBM instead of Slant!

UGH.....! i knew that, you threw me off when you said 3 bolt timing gear, I was thinking BBM instead of Slant!

That's what I have determined so far. That the 3 bolt cam gear is the one to use. We'll see anyway.

I hope you continue this build Rusty and get that gear drive installed. I am watching.

I like gear drives, I have a Milodon GD on my small block;).

Did you do the install, or have a nachine shop install it? I was reading over the instructions for mine several months back, and they seemed a little vague, use newspaper to set the gap between the teeth on the gears, et cetera.

P.S.
In order to prevent this from being a thread hijack, my peanut gallery brain had a thought; Are you going to try to do this build like @318willrun did his budget 318 thread?

Did someone say "project creep"? We started with a gear drive, then roller cam, now external wet sump oil system, and crank trigger coil on plug. Whew!!!!!

Did someone say "project creep"? We started with a gear drive, then roller cam, now external wet sump oil system, and crank trigger coil on plug. Whew!!!!!

Just the gear drive for now. lol

It isn't absolutly a requirement to have the gear. Just run an external belt drive oil pump, and a crank trigger ign.
That's true, not sure how progressive the thinking is here, so wanted to keep it in the "lane" so to speak!

That's true, not sure how progressive the thinking is here, so wanted to keep it in the "lane" so to speak!

I'm all for whatever wildness I can "afford". That's what I have to look out for. But, since I have a great running 170 already in the car, I have plenty of time at least.

I'm all for whatever wildness I can "afford". That's what I have to look out for. But, since I have a great running 170 already in the car, I have plenty of time at least.
you're not going to get cheap horsepower out of a slant 6 that's going to make your life change..
Screenshot_20190410-074217.png

Trust me I feel like I'm the king of working with what I have but sometimes what I have just isn't enough...

I ran a 4 bbl. Edelbrock on a slant and as you said not much better than a 2 bbl.

Considering the cylinder head was designed for the 170 and not the 225, nor was the head ever revised for the 225, it's a wonder the 225 runs as well as it does.

Interesting thread, I will be keeping an eye out for more posts in the future, and your other projects as well, good luck.

Considering the cylinder head was designed for the 170 and not the 225, nor was the head ever revised for the 225, it's a wonder the 225 runs as well as it does.

This is one reason, slants respond so well to nitrous or boost.
I think I am going to go strickley boost, rather then nitrous in the future. Nitrous has about doubled in price over the last year or so.

This is one reason, slants respond so well to nitrous or boost.
I think I am going to go strickley boost, rather then nitrous in the future. Nitrous has about doubled in price over the last year or so.

I think it's also more of a shock to an engine. With forced induction, it's much more consistent. Arguably more durable.

I think it's also more of a shock to an engine. With forced induction, it's much more consistent. Arguably more durable.
You might like this some guy had the Chevy 350 Monte Carlo at the swap meet with 4 turbos on it. I heard him over talking with some other people and he said it was easy and when I asked how he came up with it, he said smoking weed! LOL
Kind of made me think why you were thinking of a timing gear on a slant six...
IMG_20190404_081523.jpg

Well, there's no weed involved here. Though, there probably should be. lol

Well, there's no weed involved here. Though, there probably should be. lol
I Love Weed! My problem is I'm an addict so either going to smoke it all the time or not at all. Damn it! LOL it's even legal and I can buy it 10 different places within walking distance. I miss weed....

I already have the cam button figured out. Got one on the way. But, it's really not necessary. Not only does the slant six not have a camshaft thrust plate, but since there are no roller camshaft cores made for them, that means all we have are flat tappets. Flat tappet camshafts are tapered on the lobes. Not only does this make the lifters spin in their bores, but it also acts to push camshaft back into its bore and keep it in place. Lots of engines don't have camshaft thrust plates and they are just fine. But I do plan to run a thrust button anyway.
Last time I saw the post on .org, Oregon Cam Grinders had something like 10 roller cam cores left they were selling off w/or w/o being ground, they weren't planning on any more IIRC..........

-
Back