Big horsepower 318 builds

-
Building 400 is not that hard then, my 318 is 9.4 to 1 with not a big cam, street engine drove it to the track, with some compression and fairly good head, i do not see why 500 cannot be done, my engine is nothing special stock rods and hyper piston's.

the 318 i raced went 115.50 mph at 3400 pounds..that was shifting it at 6200-6300 with a flat hood, dinky cam, and Chinese dual plane intake on pump gas.
Wallace says that is 408 horse at the tire……

Old thread but spot on for my plans. I have a 56 Dodge pickup I'll mount on my 2001 Dakota chassis (9.25" rear axle, posi 3:55). Dumping the high miles (203K) but still running good 4.7V8 for a running complete low miles factory rebuild 5.2 Magnum I bought for $600. Then I bought a 8HP-70 trans from a 2016 Challenger with the driveshaft and TC for $400. I plan to mod the 5.2 with some Keith Black pistons, deck the block to near flush TDC pistons for about 10:1 compression, torquey cam, electronic/adjustable distributor, headers, etc. Should be a fun daily driver and may even get 20+ mpg on the highway. I'll do the kegger mods for better breathing. But also thinking of ditching the kegger intake and doing the Hughes intake for the EFI system. I want daily driveability and decent power, but some fun also.

Your gonna have to spin a 318 fairly high, probably at least around 7,000 rpms for peak hp of 500 hp, the kegger doesn't have enough cross section and runners too long for that much rpm.

Old thread but spot on for my plans. I have a 56 Dodge pickup I'll mount on my 2001 Dakota chassis (9.25" rear axle, posi 3:55). Dumping the high miles (203K) but still running good 4.7V8 for a running complete low miles factory rebuild 5.2 Magnum I bought for $600. Then I bought a 8HP-70 trans from a 2016 Challenger with the driveshaft and TC for $400. I plan to mod the 5.2 with some Keith Black pistons, deck the block to near flush TDC pistons for about 10:1 compression, torquey cam, electronic/adjustable distributor, headers, etc. Should be a fun daily driver and may even get 20+ mpg on the highway. I'll do the kegger mods for better breathing. But also thinking of ditching the kegger intake and doing the Hughes intake for the EFI system. I want daily driveability and decent power, but some fun also.
Throw the kegger in the ditch. Air Gap and a 750dp will get it done.

Did you see they guy on YT who wound a 318 up too tight and the crank broke blew the whole front end of the engine apart? 600 Horse is about how far a 5.0 Ford will go till the block splits...

Did you see they guy on YT who wound a 318 up too tight and the crank broke blew the whole front end of the engine apart? 600 Horse is about how far a 5.0 Ford will go till the block splits...

Yeah, Gary.... i don't think he's rebuilding the car.. hasn't posted in a long time now. I believe he had an eagle crank and loved spinning over 7k... i don't blame the block for that one

Yep, 4" stroke, eagle crank. They are known to break.

Not sure if you remember Uncle Tony showcased this in a video saying the timing chain broke...his nut swingers ate it up...
In Garys motor? you can see the whole damn chain in the first few seconds.... and most of it in the thumbnail... wtf

1721839434745.png

I would put money on a part that was pushed beyond what it should have been, and any harmonics that decided to help it on it's way

What’s the cut off point where a 318 is considered “high hp”, vs just being another run of the mill semi high hp build?

What’s the cut off point where a 318 is considered “high hp”, vs just being another semi high hp build?
:rofl: Semi=350 horse
High=400
Ultra high= 450+

Last edited:
What’s the cut off point where a 318 is considered “high hp”, vs just being another semi high hp build?
Probably depends on the person, to me it seems like above 450 hp is when people start thinking about adding a 4" stroke to 318/340/360. So probably above 450 hp could be considered high power for stock stroke sbm, guessing a lot would say even 400 + hp for a 318.

Last edited:
imma just leave this here:

full disclosure, i did not go back a read the other 16 pages to see if this set up was mentioned.

Your gonna have to spin a 318 fairly high, probably at least around 7,000 rpms for peak hp of 500 hp, the kegger doesn't have enough cross section and runners too long for that much rpm.

Probably not that high. Maybe 6500 and that’s barely above an idle in 2024.

K.. since we are discussing and not arguing for once bout 318s... my 318 is a bone stock '85 bottom end... keep under 6k and treat it nice? just curious where the worry point should start...

Yep, the cast ones. Broke one myself. Haven’t heard of any of the forged ones breaking
There have been several of those fail for other members here, too.

K.. since we are discussing and not arguing for once bout 318s... my 318 is a bone stock '85 bottom end... keep under 6k and treat it nice? just curious where the worry point should start...
I'm sure it'll run outta valve spring before 6K.

-
Back