Biggest Rear Tire Size

-

440dartsport

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked many times but I'm seeing many different answers. What is the biggest rear tires you can fit on a Dart Sport or Duster? My car is a 74 Dart Sport with SS springs and stock spring location with 15x10" wheels. I want to run M/T Sportsman S/R 28x12x15 tires. It looks like they would fit as the tires have a 10.5" tread width. Any opinions?

I don't believe this hasn't been replied to yet. Here is a BUMP because I am wondering the same only for a 70 Dart.

do not think your combo will fit. on my 71 demon we had 10.5 m&h dot race tires they were 28x 15 10.2 tread width and the section was 11.4 mouted on 7.5 crager ss wheels with I THINK THE BACK SPACING WAS 4.75 had to roll the fender and they rubbed the wheel well on the upper inside going around corners this when the car was for racing only now have tires on it that are 26x15 9.7 tread with and 10.4 section with they are tight but do not rub

I can tell you that a 275-60-15 on a 15X8" rim with 4.5" will fit. I dont think you will fit a 12.5" section width.

As for the 70 Dart, some guys get a 255-60-15 on the back. Thats pretty tight. I had 225-60-14s on mine and had to jack the car up and hang the rear down low to get them on.

my 73 dart swinger has 275/60/15s on police rims in the back. stock spring location and stock replacement springs, i think the springs are from jcwhitney. The P.O. got them. They are without a doubt not super stock springs.

I run a 28x12.5x15 ET Street on the back of my 72 with 15x8 Welds and I think 5.5" bs. Springs relocated and wheelwell lips rolled.

With the springs in the stock location, the wheel/tire combo will never fit.

If everyone who had questions about wheel/tire fitment would 1st look at the top of this section, Post Your Wheel/Tire Combos, there wouldn't be so many redundant questions. There are numerous pages that give specifics on wheel size, b/s, tire size, and rear modifications. On the 1st page alone, there are combos for a 73 and 75 Dart, and I'm sure there are a ton more.

Sorry guys, just a rant, the info is available, seems everyone is just to lazy to READ!!!!

With the springs in the stock location, the wheel/tire combo will never fit.

If everyone who had questions about wheel/tire fitment would 1st look at the top of this section, Post Your Wheel/Tire Combos, there wouldn't be so many redundant questions. There are numerous pages that give specifics on wheel size, b/s, tire size, and rear modifications. On the 1st page alone, there are combos for a 73 and 75 Dart, and I'm sure there are a ton more.

Sorry guys, just a rant, the info is available, seems everyone is just to lazy to READ!!!!

Maybe not too lazy to read just tired of reading and not getting a clear answer or simply not knowing which advice is good... sometimes its hard to sort through the bullshit so creating a new thread is the easiest way to get an answer. I thought thats what a forum is all about???

Maybe not too lazy to read just tired of reading and not getting a clear answer or simply not knowing which advice is good... sometimes its hard to sort through the bullshit so creating a new thread is the easiest way to get an answer. I thought thats what a forum is all about???

I hear you. I had the same problem and after sifting through the bs I still wasn't sure. 245/60/14 with 7 inch rims at 4.25 bs fit my 69 Dart with no problem. If they made them, 255/60 /14 and perhaps slightly bigger would have fit with 7-8 inch rims and 4 inch to 3.75 inch back space so I imagine 15s would be close to the same as far as width goes. Every car is slightly different. In fact on my car one side to the other was 1/4 inch different. I had slightly less than 11 inches of room from spring to wheel well lip.

on mine with stock spring location and stock wheelwell, M/T 28x12.00 R15's with 15/10 wheel from wheel Vintiques. They fit awesome, looks mean

I'm sure this has been asked many times but I'm seeing many different answers. What is the biggest rear tires you can fit on a Dart Sport or Duster? My car is a 74 Dart Sport with SS springs and stock spring location with 15x10" wheels. I want to run M/T Sportsman S/R 28x12x15 tires. It looks like they would fit as the tires have a 10.5" tread width. Any opinions?

Try this tool. It worked for me and it sure beats guessing. An expensive mistake it you get it worng and the tool is only $69.00. I know that at some point me or one of my friends are going to need it again.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-01201/

Got a buddy who runs 10" wheels on a 78 aspen RT, drag races with It and says the tires have lots of room to grow,...and they do...

my 73 dart swinger has 275/60/15s on police rims in the back. stock spring location and stock replacement springs, i think the springs are from jcwhitney. The P.O. got them. They are without a doubt not super stock springs.
I like how the 275/60/15s look on Darts, it gives them a little attitude.

on mine with stock spring location and stock wheelwell, M/T 28x12.00 R15's with 15/10 wheel from wheel Vintiques. They fit awesome, looks mean

This is the kind of info that's not a lot of good because it says nothing about the backspacing or offset of the wheel. It also doesn't mention the car but we can assume it's a Dart Sport or a Duster because that's what the thread is about. But we really need COMPLETE info in a thread like this. Brake size, Rear end size, etc. Changing from a 7 1/4 to an 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 can make a difference. Changing brake size can make a difference.

Here is the specs for the Mickey thompsons SRs you want to run:
And the specs on the now discontinued M/T L60-14's on I believe 7" rims of unknown offset (really need to be 8's to 8.5's though) that my son has on his 72 Demon:

-----------------approved----measuring--sidewall--tread---diameter
-------------------rims--------rim--------width----width
28X12.00R15LT--8.5-10.0------10---------12.0-----10.4-----28.0

L60-14's---------7-10.0---probably 10-----12.3-----9.5------28.0
(295/60/14)
Here's some pics, the sidewall to leaf spring is VERY tight, but the tire width and diameter fits the car Very well in my opinion.

Attachments

• MVC-009F.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,161
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,159
This is the kind of info that's not a lot of good because it says nothing about the backspacing or offset of the wheel. It also doesn't mention the car but we can assume it's a Dart Sport or a Duster because that's what the thread is about. But we really need COMPLETE info in a thread like this. Brake size, Rear end size, etc. Changing from a 7 1/4 to an 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 can make a difference. Changing brake size can make a difference.

Sorry, dana60, 11inch drum, 5.5 backspacing 71 demon

-
Back